website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

3 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

Wikipedia says 5 medal events in squash .. not trusting wiki so much but are there proposed plans of what events would be included in the program 

Single M&W

Teams M &W

what would be the 5th ?

mixed double?!

Squash has always proposed just men's and women's singles for the Olympics.

"The OPC will now work on ensuring that the final athlete quota numbers for the Olympic Games LA28 remain reasonable and below the overall quota for Tokyo 2020."

Tokyo had a quota of 11,090. Meaning there would be an additional 590 quota spots for for the additional 5 sports. 32 spots from breakdancing would also become available. 10,500 number from Paris includes MP, boxing and weightlifting.

6 team tournaments for 

1) Lacrosse (12*12 teams) = 144 athletes

2) Baseball/softball, 234 athletes (90 in softball and 144 in baseball)

3) Squash = 64 athletes (previous proposals have had this number)

4) Football = (12*12 teams) = 144 athletes

5) Cricket = (15* 12 teams) = 180 athletes 

=At a minimum 766 quota spots needed. 

622 quotas are available, meaning the current sports are going to see a reduction of 144 at a minimum, and could be more if the tea sports get more entries! crazy.

29 minutes ago, dodge said:

I believe the proposal is that all the new team events are for 6 teams only

I think that's unfortunate in some ways, but it does help make a tighter games.

for the record, if cricket survives to Brisbane, I doubt you'll be talking 6 teams then - it'll immediately migrate to the core and a minimum of eight.

Brisbane is very much RL country rather than Aussie Rules (read about the Baressi line, it's wacky); I wonder if rugby League nines might look to take the space left by flag football (which I cannot see surviving after LA) and whether that may even signal a future where one VERY local sport gets a spot each time (also possibly ensuring at least a couple of medals for that host)- Wushu in China , Kabaddi in India, Sumo in Japan, Hurling in Ireland, Boules in France etc, etc - along with a small number of locally popular but still international sports.

I think if the IOC are going to land 8 new team events, it behoves it to find a way to increase quotas to match, rather than continually squeeze the core sports, some of which are already bare bones (canoe slalom chucking the C2 event, the reduction in weightlifting, the lack of weightclasses in taekwondo)

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

We have the first medal winners of 2028: congrats Egypt!

There's many a slip twixt cup and lip....

but, seriously, wouldn't it be nice to see Egypt have their Fiji rugby moment in some ways (I know they're good at some other sports like MP, but still)

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

622 quotas are available, meaning the current sports are going to see a reduction of 144 at a minimum, and could be more if the tea sports get more entries! crazy.

I don't think there's that many quotas to get rid of without getting rid of some events. Maybe reduce the men's football from 16 to 12 teams (that's already 72/144), but the IOC wouldn't want to lose that source of income.

The hope would be that any addition of sports would see an increase in the overall athlete quota.

If the current Olympic sport federations are smart they may push for something like 11,500 and then for 2032 try to get the overall athlete quota to 11,000 plus whatever Australia proposes.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Squash has always proposed just men's and women's singles for the Olympics.

if they went for 5 would surely shadow badminton and tennis - M+W singles, M + W doubles, X doubles?

Very small projected quotas number though.

Assuming we don't want to drop any sports or disciplines there are events that IMO could see some cuts in quotas: the marathons (10 each), single scull rowing (E/F finals), single dinghy Sailing (10 each), every Judo category (down to 16), 10m rifle (5 each), the road races (just 5 each, not asking much).

43 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Assuming we don't want to drop any sports or disciplines there are events that IMO could see some cuts in quotas: the marathons (10 each), single scull rowing (E/F finals), single dinghy Sailing (10 each), every Judo category (down to 16), 10m rifle (5 each), the road races (just 5 each, not asking much).

Problem Rowing & Sailing have is that if you cut the solo discipline numbers, they don’t have any chance of meeting the multi-Continental requirements.  Again, Judo - and all the combat sports - are also accessible for the poorest & smallest nations.

Agree for cycling road races.