website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme Road to LA 2028

7 minutes ago, Jur said:

And watching Artistic Swimming or Ice Dancing you can get impressed with the choreo and the artistic elements... Im just still trying to understand Kata. All seemed the same, all doing the same... why someone won? Cause they shouted more? It was veeeery weird

Not that Kumite was any better. I failed to understand that too.

Karate had it chance and it fumbled the bag pretty hard. Almost as hard as Breaking.

Hardly, it was out before the Tokyo Games happened...

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Hardly, it was out before the Tokyo Games happened...

Same for breaking, it definitely didn't fumble anything, it didn't really have a chance at all :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I guess that including or excluding a sport is just a part of some bigger agenda. Political, economical and so on.

Sport itself is of lesser importance.

IOC wont mind a (un)popularity of a sport if they have a bigger cause to fullfil. 

These are facts but on mainstream media its rarely seen.

1 hour ago, ChandlerMne said:

I guess that including or excluding a sport is just a part of some bigger agenda. Political, economical and so on.

Sport itself is of lesser importance.

IOC wont mind a (un)popularity of a sport if they have a bigger cause to fullfil. 

These are facts but on mainstream media its rarely seen.

What's the political benefit of adding breaking? Or surfing? Or skateboarding? Or triathlon at some point?

I very much doubt it's that unpopular, given the quite large amount of positive reactions (not on a place like Totallympics, but that's far from an average when it comes to sports). Mostly I just heard and saw people saying something like "not sure it's a sport, but it was fun to watch".

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What's the political benefit of adding breaking? Or surfing? Or skateboarding? Or triathlon at some point?

Adding a sport to satisfy one particular group (young generations, big investors, sponsors) is a political thing, or at least political stream of logic. IOC can easily check popularity of their decisions, but they opt not to do that. Most of their decisions, if not all, arent based on general public's opinion. So yes, very political. IMO.

I dont know about exact statistical data but you seem to be among small percentage of fans who liked breaking. Vast majority of infos or comments outside TL were negative. Not only Raygun's show but overall appeal.

IOC did know about that polls even before Paris.

I dont mind having sports that i personally dont like as long as they are in minority.

We cant be 100% satisfied. 

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

Adding a sport to satisfy one particular group (young generations, big investors, sponsors) is a political thing, or at least political stream of logic. IOC can easily check popularity of their decisions, but they opt not to do that. Most of their decisions, if not all, arent based on general public's opinion. So yes, very political. IMO.

I dont know about exact statistical data but you seem to be among small percentage of fans who liked breaking. Vast majority of infos or comments outside TL were negative. Not only Raygun's show but overall appeal.

IOC did know about that polls even before Paris.

I dont mind having sports that i personally dont like as long as they are in minority.

We cant be 100% satisfied. 

But some of those things are necessary. Younger generations do need to be satisfied to some degree, people aren't going to find the same things interesting forever and that changes with generations. Boring as it unfortunately has become, I'm glad judo is in the Olympics, or BMX or table tennis or diving. Investors and sponsors are also simply necessary, so in that sense, semi-political decisions are indeed needed to keep the Olympics around in the first place.

I didn't necessarily 'like' breaking btw, I still find it hard to see it as a form of real competition, but it definitely entertained me more than quite a few other sports.

I agree that some new sports deserve a chance. I really like skateboard, bmx, Mountainbike. 
I didn’t like breakdancing, surfing. 

difficult to say what the criteria are for selecting sports. Yes in some cases it’s political or economical. but doesn’t mean it’s wrong. 

on the other hand some sports survive only for that reason. Take waterpolo, if it wasn’t for the power of WA it doesn’t really deserve a spot. I am Croatian  and very glad its there as it gave us few medals. But its popular and seriously played in only few European countries plus maybe US and Australia. Outside those few countries no one gives a f***. 
so if popularity is only criteria @ChandlerMnethen waterpolo is for sure out. 

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

hope it's a joke! :bones:

It was not, no :p 

Although I do agree with everyone who says it's bullshit to add a sport for one Olympic cycle, whether that's karate, breaking or, I don't know, cycle ball. Give a sport a fair chance with 2-3 Olympic cycles, or don't add it at all, and bring back the option of an actual demonstration sport to try something out for a one-off thing.

Edited by heywoodu