website statistics

Athletics at the European Championships 2022

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Werloc said:

With how these championships are going for team Lithuania, I'd say it's right about time to miss the discus throw and triple jump finals in a few hours :lol: 

It's only day three, no worries, things can turn around yet :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Bearas said:

Nafi Thiam clears 1.98 :wub: Most likely would take gold in individual high jump as well :d

And there goes my hope for Vetter :p

Thiam would have needed to stay at 1.90m or so to keep things potentially close, but never mind now :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, phelps said:

well, apart from their excessive British-centric commentary, at least BBC people know what they're talking of...

but those commentators on the international feed are often a true disaster, they don't even know the basics of the sport they're watching (I read some heavy critics also against sky UK for their coverage of the AUS vs ARG rugby match last weekend, talking of disappointing international feeds)...

To be fair, in almost every place I've watched multi-events, be that Dutch, Belgian TV or some English stream, they simply don't seem to know what the event is about. It's like this: if we'd have an athletics omnium with a 100m, 200m, 1500m and 10.000m in that order, obviously the sprinters are going to be far and away above the distance runners, correct? Those commentators I mean would then say the sprinters are on their way to 'easy' medals because they've got such a big gap, totally ignoring the fact that there's still two (semi-)distance events to go and they are likely to lose a whole lot there.

Zapletalová :(

So sad to see her in such situation, but what we can do, what does not kill you can make you stronger. I am almost certain she will return stronger than ever, she is definitely capable of that. She just have to avoid injuries and have a full adequate preparation

Bit disappointing elimination also for the most experienced of our band, Martin Kučera.

In the opposite side 2 Slovaks advanced to the semis in 400H (Balúch and Ledecká... not Ester nor Katie...) which is fine :yes, but obviously this will be the end of the way.

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's only day three, no worries, things can turn around yet :d 

Nearly all of our team has started already.

Tomorrow we have Jasiūnaitė for JT, Karinauskaitė for 3000m SC, Galvydytė for 800m, Truskauskas for 200m and after that it's only Baikšytė for HJ and Žiūkas in the 20km Walk, so our championships is more than halfway over already. 

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, in almost every place I've watched multi-events, be that Dutch, Belgian TV or some English stream, they simply don't seem to know what the event is about. It's like this: if we'd have an athletics omnium with a 100m, 200m, 1500m and 10.000m in that order, obviously the sprinters are going to be far and away above the distance runners, correct? Those commentators I mean would then say the sprinters are on their way to 'easy' medals because they've got such a big gap, totally ignoring the fact that there's still two (semi-)distance events to go and they are likely to lose a whole lot there.

Sure, but how often in the history of Decathlon has anyone ever made up 40 seconds in the 1500m to win overall?  I’m sure it happens sometimes, but at this level?  Don’t think I’ve seen it in forty years of watching.  Even 10 seconds is considered huge.

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Sure, but how often in the history of Decathlon has anyone ever made up 40 seconds in the 1500m to win overall?  I’m sure it happens sometimes, but at this level?  Don’t think I’ve seen it in forty years of watching.  Even 10 seconds is considered huge.

That depends entirely on the athletes. If an athlete is a regular 4:15 runner and the other is a regular 4:45+ runner who even goes above 5 minutes sometimes, it's really not that weird to expect that. The thing is usually the athlete leading after nine events is not a 4:45+ runner, hence why you don't often see such a huge gap being made up.

It's all about the specific athletes and their qualities in the individual events, rather than how often something does or doesn't happen.

Good thing the icosathlon will never be added to these kind of events, commentators really would be at a loss even more than they are with the decathlon :p