website statistics

Snowboard at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, NearPup said:

For anyone just checking out the results: don't be fooled by the low score, :HUN Kamilla Kozuback isn't another Elizabeth Swaney. She did actual tricks and is legit.

Well, considering she started competing for Hungary literally just two months ago (!!), it's safe to call her an opportunist. :p

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, considering she started competing for Hungary literally just two months ago (!!), it's safe to call her an opportunist. :p

For what it's worth, she can actually speak some Hungarian. (Which is more than what we can say about John-Henry Krueger, who might win a medal for us in Short Track.) 

21 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I wouldn't recognize a "best run" from a "training run" anyway. Maybe some X Games freaks know better but majority of this forum probably doesn't follow slopestyle in between the Olympics. It's the winter version of archery :p

I’m telling you y’all are missing out :P

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I’m telling you y’all are missing out :P

It's the same old problem. I have no clue how the scoring works and if a 720 is worth more than a backflip or whatever else. It's hard to casually follow a sport if you don't know the damn scoring system. In archery or shooting it's simple, 10 > 9 and no room for discussion so you can tune in and sort of enjoy it straight away :p

Just now, Monzanator said:

It's the same old problem. I have no clue how the scoring works and if a 720 is worth more than a backflip or whatever else. It's hard to casually follow a sport if you don't know the damn scoring system. In archery or shooting it's simple, 10 > 9 and no room for discussion so you can tune in and sort of enjoy it straight away :p

Ya it... takes a while to accept the scoring system. There's very few formal rules to how the scoring works because culturally that's how those sports evolved, there's been attempts to formalize it and it's always universally panned by the athletes. Each judge and judging panels have their own criteria, too, so there is inconsistencies from competition to competition (at the Olympics in snowboarding they seem to always heavily reward weird, rarely used lines), and feedback from the athletes themselves also affect that. But general rules is that the hardest run that looked easy and smooth wins. The big complication that is hard to wrap your head around even after watching a while is that "hardest" doesn't always means most spins or flips.