website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

9 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Wow, this article sounds pretty negative. Yeah, Jozef Kovalik is currently 119th so it is highly impossible. But Smiedlova with 80th place, I think she still has descent chances..... 

I have been calculating weekly and I have her in the final spot (57th) right now.  I include Korpatsch and Mertens which wiki says are not eligible but I do not know. Protected rankings make it a challenge as well,  Andreescu has stated that she will use PR, but not confirmed yet.  Sherif using the continental place helps but it will be close.

Plus there's bound to be some players who will outright decline to play at the Olympics.

I imagine given the venue the withdraw rate will be similar to 2012 than 2016 or 2020 (though unlike 2012 no ranking points will be available), but I do expect a few players to not play.

22 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

So will the doubles teams all be announced tomorrow with the singles?

We likely won't get an official announcement for the singles or doubles for a few more weeks. We'll have to rely on the NOCs to give us the information.

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 8:47 AM, MatiReimundo said:

Sumit qualifies, found out this a couple of hours ago, but i doubt it will happen

Sumit Nagal :IND wins the Challenger tournament in Heilbronn, Germany. So, does that mean he qualifies for Olympics outright without waiting for further withdrawals??

Edited by Roamingrover86

18 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Sumit Nagal :IND wins the Challenger tournament in Heilbronn, Germany. So, does that mean he qualifies for Olympics outright without waiting for further withdrawals??

No, there may be players using protected ranking that could bump him down the list.

On 6/1/2024 at 11:25 AM, Makedonas said:

Now for the last spot, based on the current live rankings:

:FRA Burel/Parry (106)

------------------------------------------------

:GRE Grammatikopoulou/Sakkari (108) - But Sakkari said she wants to play with Papamichail, but Papamichail/Sakkari would be 118 right now, so if they don't make it then I guess she will still try with Grammatikopoulou? I'm not sure.

:ITA Bronzetti/Cocciaretto (110)

:ROU Bogdan/Cristian (118)

:CRO Martic/Vekic (119)

:HUN Babos/Bondar (119)

:ESP Badosa/Bouzas Maneiro (120)

:LAT Ostapenko/Semenistaja (126) - I think Sevastova has a higher protected ranking that would get her in with Ostapenko but I think she has a bad injury and won't be able to make Paris. Not 100% sure though.

:POL Frech/Kawa (128) - If the first team is Linette/Swiatek.

:MEX Olmos/Zarazua (129)

:BRA Pigossi/Stefani (130) - If Brazil chooses Gamarra Martins/Haddad Maia, otherwise Pigossi with one of the others would be even lower than 130.

:GBR Lumsden/Nicholls (131)

:SVK Mihalikova/Schmiedlova (134)

Of course also we don't know what :GER :CAN :AUS :TPE will decide, but if they only have 1 team each then it's possible for more teams after Burel/Parry to get in.

I also don't know if Mertens will play for example, but based on the above, here is the update for the cut-off:

:FRA Burel/Parry (107)

------------------------------------------------

:GRE Grammatikopoulou/Sakkari (112) - But Sakkari said she wants to play with Papamichail, but Papamichail/Sakkari would be 117 right now, so if they don't make it then I guess she will still try with Grammatikopoulou? I'm not sure.

:ITA Bronzetti/Cocciaretto (112)

:ROU Bogdan/Cristian (117)

:CRO Martic/Vekic (117 - will be 118 if Volynets wins today)

:ESP Badosa/Bouzas Maneiro (121)

:HUN Babos/Bondar (123)

1 hour ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Exactly as @evil bettysaid, we have to wait about Protected Ranking (Nishikori probably will use it, Cilic dunno), but Nagal is in the last spot and as of now is qualified to Paris. Anyways, if 2 or 3 players announces their withdraw sumit is in no matter what because there are not too many PR in the mens draw