website statistics

There are 55 countries in Africa, even a 16-team tournament can be held with qualifying. I understand water polo is not very popular, but I imagine there are more than 10 players in every country who can play this sport. Not on world class level of course, but if you can swim and throw a ball, you can already be a member of the national team.

There are 12 countries and some more territories in Oceania. On those island contries, literally everyone can swim and throw a ball. So not on world class level, but they are able to form a team

It's not only about water polo. We can say the same about cricket or netball or ...

I think no other sport other than football has 200 teams trying to quality for the world cup. If you can find a handful of people who know the rules, you can already play matches. The players don't have to be professionals, even I could be there.

Perfect example was the Oceanian Weightlifting championship. 1st Australia, 2nd New Zealand and noone else. There is nobody in the rest of the 12 countries who can lift at least 5 kg? That automaticly means a bronze. 

There are 6 automatic qualifiers. plus 12 teams played in qualifying. that's only 18 teams. There are 55 countries in Europe. The others (like Great Britain, Sweden, Belgium, etc) aren't even allowed to qualify?

I never understood this, sometimes I see Asian or African championships (in any sports) with 9 teams, without qualifying. Why not 8 or 10? And the other 40+ don't even have a chance to be there. 

I read all comments before. I said Pakistan as an example, I could have said Uzbegistan. The other half stays true, if there is 1 club, they can form a national team. In football or volleyball, every country in the World has a national team, why isn't it true for all olympics sports? Even if all players are amateurs

I wonder if South Korea is the best team from Asia, what happens at the Asia Championships? Do Korea defeat Pakistan by 30-40 goals? If it's true, what would happen in a Hungary-Pakistan Match? The same goes to South Africa's situation. They are always at the World Championships, because they are the best African team. But this must mean they are way better than Cameroon or Togo. How low can you get in levels?

I simply don't believe you cannot find 6 players in a whole country who can play a game well. If there is 1 club, then you can field a national team.