website statistics
Athletics WA World Relays 2024
Posted
6 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Thanks to the the :USA men's 4x400m team, :GBR are officially the first country to qualify all 5 teams to Paris. Yay technicalities! :d

You're not including the race walkers relay then? I'm pretty sure that neither GB or the US will qualify for that one. :d

Athletics WA World Championships 2023
Posted
On 8/29/2023 at 5:19 PM, atlana said:

I think is not related to speed (hurdles, steeplechase), or judgement (disqualifications in horizontal jumps or lines in 200 or 400 meters). It is about events with a long history behind, And they are supported by many different countries all over the world: Japan, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Spain, Italy, Sweden...Coincidentally, no one is an English-speaking country.

Worth pointing out that race walking began in an English speaking country that also produced many Olympic champions and medallists in the sport during its long history.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So with the flurry of world championships and Olympic quotas over, we can all have a week to relax watching the US Open ready for the Rowing World Championships next week right? 

Yep, although September is another really busy month in terms of qualification. Things get a litle bit more sedate after that for a few months.

Posted (edited) · Deleted by Sindo on 08/23/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/22/2025
Deleted by Sindo on 08/23/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/22/2025
11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

You seem to be obsessed with him, trying to talk into existance how embarrassing this is for him. Obviously you seem to think that he isn't smart enough to anticipate how others react to his actions. I am sure that he knew how others would react to him if he would not win, but obviously he just doesn't give a shit, otherwise he wouldn't keep doing it. You should maybe ask yourself why it even makes a difference whether he wins or loses. If you think that he somehow "mocked" his competitors, then it shouldn't really make a difference whether he is the best in the world or not. Mocking your competitors should be a no-go either way.

Why is it you persist in telling lies even when the evidence on this thread shows that you're lying? "You seem to be obsessed with him". I made one brief casual comment more about the irony of Ingebritgsen's father being the coach of his Norwegian rival than anything else. How in any rational sense does this equate to an obsession. I always try and avoid engaging with you because of your tendency to lie but sometimes you go too far.

Edited by Nickyc707
Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 08/23/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/22/2025
Deleted by Sindo on 08/23/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/22/2025
10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am sure olympic champion Jakob Ingebrigtsen will cry himself to sleep tonight. Why do you keep trying to talk something into existance? Almost seems pathological.

Eh, "keep trying". That is the only comment I've made on the subject. I suspect you're the one with pathological problems.

Posted
6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Nordas improving by 7 seconds in one year after switching to Ingebrigtsen's dad ...

2) Ingebrigtsen dominating again all season long just for a scottish guy to completely explode at worlds ...

3) Why are most of the top british runners from Scotland? Rather weird given that they only account for a tiny part of the population. I guess Scotland is to GB what Norway is to the other scandinavian countries, something in the food there ...

GB has revived its long tradition in both the men's and women's 800 & 1500 m in the past 5-10 years and Scottish runners have played a big part in this. It's a big turnaround as British teams 10-20 years ago often only had one Scottish athlete - Liz McConnell. They were almost invariably outnumbered by Welsh athletes. I'm sure there's way more to it but the improvement seems to have coincided with Glasgow hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Posted
17 minutes ago, hckošice said:

what a finish from Nordas, I mean, with slightly better running strategy he would even win this ?!

It would have been the final embarrassment for Ingebrigtsen if his father had successfully coached Nordas to beat him.

Posted
16 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Surfing *can* be held in a wave pool (and one of the world series stop uses such a venue). Different format and the purists hate it, but it can be done.

Alternatively I doubt the IOC would object if surfing was held outside of Hungary.

Any suitable lakes for the sailing?

Posted
27 minutes ago, NearPup said:

It’s because Dutch people only commute by bike or by ice skates, so they don’t really learn how to walk on tarmac as 

Is this what they mean by Double Dutch? Somewhere a Dutchman must have shot an albatross.

2 hours ago, phelps said:

I'm involved into the "pasta eating" and the "how lazy a man can be" programs at the moment :evil: :lol:

I just can't be everywhere :dunno:

We may meet in international competition in that case. I shall get some pasta eating practice in at lunch later on. Do you recommend a good wine with the pasta as part of your training programme? 😎🍷

Edited by Nickyc707

Athletics EAA Indoor European Championships 2023
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

It is interesting to see that often the countries that are good in one endurance sport are good in many/all endurance sports.

Norway: Biathlon, speed skating, cross-country skiing, running, cycling

Netherlands: Speed skating, cycling, rowing, running

Italy: Rowing, cycling, swimming, running/speed skating to some degree

GB: Rowing, cycling, swimming, running, triathlon

Also there have been many athletes who were good in multiple of those sports (mainly 2 out of speed skating/cross-country/cycling/rowing/running).

Some sports have a long history of crossover, e.g. cycling/speed skating, while triathlon athletes often have a background in running or swimming. Other crossovers are more unusual but Rebecca Romero won Olympic medals in rowing and then cycling.

Clearly some of the attributes enjoyed by competitors in endurance sports are interchangeable and if a country has strength in one or more of them there are opportunities to develop a base in others, although culture and tradition also plays a part.

In the case of Norway you have running on the track or road (athletics), running on ice (speed skating), running on snow (cross-country/biathlon) and running on pedals (cycling). They've also produced quality rowers and triathletes like Tufte and Blummenfelt, so your theory has credence.

Edited by Nickyc707

2 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

Funny.    There is already a lot of speculation as to the legitacy and whether European Athletics will ratify the mark. From what I've seen, there is questions as to whether the wind reading (+1.9) was accurate, or if done correctly.  Also, the blocks apparently were not equipped with false start sensors and vidoeos seem to suggest a rolling start.   Finally, no one was at the start line to even judge the start.  

On that basis the chances of it being ratified are slim to none.