website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

4 hours ago, sameerph said:

I was looking at ranking across sports for our players/ teams . I think we can consider those in top 15 to have some chance of getting among medals at Rio, these are the players who are ranked within that range -

Shooting
Jitu Rai - 3rd in 10M air pistol, 2nd in 50 m pistol
Abhinav Bindra - 13th in 10M air rifle
Gagan Narang - 11th in 50M rifle 3 positions
Mairaj Ahmed Khan - 9th in Skeet

There are 2 more shooters - Sanjeev Rajput and Pooja Ghatkar who are among top 10 but are not part of Rio squad.

Archery
Womens team - 4th
Deepika Kumari - 12th
Laxmirani Manjhi - 15th

Badminton
Saina Nahwal -5th
PV Sindhu - 10th (9th among those qualified for Rio)
K Srikanth - 11th (9th among those qualified for Rio)

Tennis
Mixed doubles - there are no world rankings for mixed doubles. But if there were, I am sure Rohan-Sania would be among top 10.

Boxing
Shiva Thapa - 6th
Vikas Krishnan - 6th

Wrestling
Narsingh Yadav - 9th
Yogeshwar Dutt - 9th
Vinesh - 13th

Mens hockey team - 5th ( For a team event, I do not consider top 15 as having a chance of a medal , therefore not including 13th ranked Indian womens team)

That makes it a total of 17 events.

To this I would add -

Tennis mixed doubles- there are no rankings for those but if there were I am sure Rohan-Sania would be in top 10.
Gymnastics- Deepa Karmakar was 5th in the last world championships in vault
Weighlifitng - Meerabai Chani has the 4th best lift this year.
Archery - Atanu Das finished 4th and lost to the world champion Korean in the last world cup
Shooting - Gurpreet Singh in rapid fire and 10M pistol, Manavjeet Sandhu /Kynan Chenai in mens trap, Apurvi Chandela/Ayonika Paul in womens 10 M air rifle, Gagan Narang- 10M Air rifle, Heena Siddhu in 10 M air pistol - all have won medals in world level events in last couple of years. So, considering the variability of results in shooting, they can shine on a given day at Rio.

I am not including anyone in athletics despite some staggering results by mens relay ream and mens jumpers.

So, it would make a total of 28 in starting lists with a shot at a medal.

However, uncertain part is most of them would require to improve on their rankings/ current position and over perform to finish among medals. Our athletes did that in London where we had even lower medal contenders. If they do that again and about 1/4th of the above do that , we may be looking at improving our medal tally above the London tally of 6.
The downside is if everyone performs exactly as per their rankings, we may end with 2-3 medals too.

Realistically, we are looking at a range between 2-8 medals for us at Rio.

I hope the more optimistic scenario materialises.

Good analysis based on ranking - I would like to consider any person ranked over the last 2 years rather than just current ranking ......and if we go by that 2 names can be added 

Chain was ranked in the top 16 just last year in dec 2015 in 50 m rifle 3 position so can be added to the list 

and manoj was ranked sixth last year so also can be added 

( just a quick point you have added mixed doubles twice and taken jitu once ,,the overall number is the same ) 

so I think 30 seems to encapsulate the list of all real possibilities 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

3 hours ago, rohan sharma said:

‪#‎RIO16‬
As only 14 Day left for RIO OLYMPIC here is schdule for 0th and 1st day ( 3 gold medal out for india on day 1)
‪#‎0th‬ day - Friday 5 August 2016 
Men's individual - Ranking round (Atanu Dass)
Women's individual - Ranking round ( Deepika kumari,Laxmirani majhi,Bombayla devi)
‪#‎1st‬ Day - Saturday 6 August 2016
‪#‎Hockey‬
India Vs Ireland
‪#‎Rowing‬
Mens Single sculls - Heat - Dattu Baban Bhokanal
‪#‎Shooting‬
Women's 10 m air rifle - Apurvi Chandela , Ayonika Paul
Men's 10 m air pistol - Jitu Rai , Gurpreet Singh
‪#‎TableTennis‬
Mens Single Preliminary rounds - Sharath Kamal Achant,Soumyajit Ghosh
Womens Single Preliminary rounds - Mouma Das,Manika Batra
‪#‎Tennis‬
Men's doubles Round of 32 - Rohan Bopanna , Leander Paes
Women's doubles Round of 32 - Sania Mirza , Prarthana 
‪#‎Weightlifting‬
Women's 48 kg - Saikhom Mirabai Chanu
so it will be acion pack day 1 for india

good info bro ...waiting for the olympics to start

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I was looking at the entry weights in 48 kgs womens ................ Hou zhihui almost surely a gold ( 204 in 2015 )  , Tanasan sopita of thailand seems a very formidable opponent as she seems to have come down a weight category ( she had lifted 200+ as a 53 kg weightlfiter in 2013) - I have no clue how much she can lift now .......... Then there is voung thi huyen of VIE who has a PB of 194 and Miyake of Japan who has 193 , then we have mirkahom with 192 

and the indonesian Wahyuni ( 191 ) and Tpe Chen wei ling ( 191) as well ........................so it is going to be close ................... I am just praying she does not come 4th like her coach Kunjarani in 2004 olympics ................

Edited by nitinsanker

6 hours ago, sameerph said:

I was looking at ranking across sports for our players/ teams . I think we can consider those in top 15 to have some chance of getting among medals at Rio, these are the players who are ranked within that range -

Shooting
Jitu Rai - 3rd in 10M air pistol, 2nd in 50 m pistol
Abhinav Bindra - 13th in 10M air rifle
Gagan Narang - 11th in 50M rifle 3 positions
Mairaj Ahmed Khan - 9th in Skeet

There are 2 more shooters - Sanjeev Rajput and Pooja Ghatkar who are among top 10 but are not part of Rio squad.

Archery
Womens team - 4th
Deepika Kumari - 12th
Laxmirani Manjhi - 15th

Badminton
Saina Nahwal -5th
PV Sindhu - 10th (9th among those qualified for Rio)
K Srikanth - 11th (9th among those qualified for Rio)

Tennis
Mixed doubles - there are no world rankings for mixed doubles. But if there were, I am sure Rohan-Sania would be among top 10.

Boxing
Shiva Thapa - 6th
Vikas Krishnan - 6th

Wrestling
Narsingh Yadav - 9th
Yogeshwar Dutt - 9th
Vinesh - 13th

Mens hockey team - 5th ( For a team event, I do not consider top 15 as having a chance of a medal , therefore not including 13th ranked Indian womens team)

That makes it a total of 17 events.

To this I would add -

Tennis mixed doubles- there are no rankings for those but if there were I am sure Rohan-Sania would be in top 10.
Gymnastics- Deepa Karmakar was 5th in the last world championships in vault
Weighlifitng - Meerabai Chani has the 4th best lift this year.
Archery - Atanu Das finished 4th and lost to the world champion Korean in the last world cup
Shooting - Gurpreet Singh in rapid fire and 10M pistol, Manavjeet Sandhu /Kynan Chenai in mens trap, Apurvi Chandela/Ayonika Paul in womens 10 M air rifle, Gagan Narang- 10M Air rifle, Heena Siddhu in 10 M air pistol - all have won medals in world level events in last couple of years. So, considering the variability of results in shooting, they can shine on a given day at Rio.

I am not including anyone in athletics despite some staggering results by mens relay ream and mens jumpers.

So, it would make a total of 28 in starting lists with a shot at a medal.

However, uncertain part is most of them would require to improve on their rankings/ current position and over perform to finish among medals. Our athletes did that in London where we had even lower medal contenders. If they do that again and about 1/4th of the above do that , we may be looking at improving our medal tally above the London tally of 6.
The downside is if everyone performs exactly as per their rankings, we may end with 2-3 medals too.

Realistically, we are looking at a range between 2-8 medals for us at Rio.

I hope the more optimistic scenario materialises.

Agreed, let's keep our fingers crossed. Only two weeks for the Games.

If we are excited, imagine the mental condition of the players.

Good that they take the help of professional psychologists these days!!!

Mental toughness is so important.

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

I was looking at the entry weights in 48 kgs womens ................ Hou zhihui almost surely a gold ( 204 in 2015 )  , Tanasan sopita of thailand seems a very formidable opponent as she seems to have come down a weight category ( she had lifted 200+ as a 53 kg weightlfiter in 2013) - I have no clue how much she can lift now .......... Then there is voung thi huyen of VIE who has a PB of 194 and Miyake of Japan who has 193 , then we have mirkahom with 192 

and the indonesian Wahyuni ( 191 ) and Tpe Chen wei ling ( 191) as well ........................so it is going to be close ................... I am just praying she does not come 4th like her coach Kunjarani in 2004 olympics ................

Its really tough to judge as there are a number of 53 kg lifters in the start list. Apart from Tanasan, we also have Margarita from KAZ (PB of 202 in 53 and 194 in 48), Piron Candelarion from DOM (PB of 199 kg in 53) and Paratova from UKR (PB of 202 in 53). 

1 hour ago, RickygoestoRio said:

Ajay Kumar Saroj stood 5th in finals of 1500m .well done!

THE RUN WAS REALLY GOOD ..............

you can see it here 

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Its really tough to judge as there are a number of 53 kg lifters in the start list. Apart from Tanasan, we also have Margarita from KAZ (PB of 202 in 53 and 194 in 48), Piron Candelarion from DOM (PB of 199 kg in 53) and Paratova from UKR (PB of 202 in 53). 

it is really difficult to judge how they will do as they weigh down .....

17 hours ago, RickygoestoRio said:

Yugant Sekhar SINGH Didnot start in Mens Long Jump.Why?

Disaster struck Yugant Shekhar Singh of India before the field of finalists was even announced. The 18-year-old tripped over the edge of the pit during warm-ups, and broke his arm while trying to protect himself from the fall.

Poor yugant he probably could not have been a medallist but pity he did not get  a chance...

Edited by nitinsanker