website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

Protests have already broken out once again this morning. I think today’s will be much more peaceful (and see higher attendance), but with a the possibility of a transition to violence in the evening (since that has been the trend).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Minnesota Governor has thrown in the towel and admits the protests are no longer about Floyd's death. Ya think??? All in all, this is a disaster for the Democrats who wanted to keep people locked down to counter Trump's stance and now the streets are full of looters & thieves and the Governor can't do anything about it even though the policeman has been arrested.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52863506

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Minnesota Governor has thrown in the towel and admits the protests are no longer about Floyd's death. Ya think??? All in all, this is a disaster for the Democrats who wanted to keep people locked down to counter Trump's stance and now the streets are full of looters & thieves and the Governor can't do anything about it even though the policeman has been arrested.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52863506

It’s not a disaster for Democrats. No one is really blaming them for the violence. Also, we didn’t lock down to stick it to Trump, we locked down to stay safe (of course upsetting Trump was a nice side effect). If you would have watched his full press conference, you would have seen the part where he said the Minnesota government believes (based off the people they’ve arrested on the streets) the majority of rioters are of out state white nationalists and far-right groups trying to incite violence. 

Support from most decent Americans is still firmly behind the BLM cause, even if they agree the riots have gotten out of control.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

42 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s not a disaster for Democrats. No one is really blaming them for the violence. Also, we didn’t lock down to stick it to Trump, we locked down to stay safe (of course upsetting Trump was a nice side effect). If you would have watched his full press conference, you would have seen the part where he said the Minnesota government believes (based off the people they’ve arrested on the streets) the majority of rioters are of out state white nationalists and far-right groups trying to incite violence. 

Support from most decent Americans is still firmly behind the BLM cause, even if they agree the riots have gotten out of control.

I have better things to do than listening to Trump's press conferences. And I don't need subtitles to know Democrats will do anything that contradicts Trump's actions and words. Nobody cares about decency in politics, least of all the most outdated two-party system in the world over in USA :p I bet the spin doctors & think-tanks are working extra hours right now thinking how to spin the Minnesota riots against the other party. If this happened in a state ruled by GOP then I'd hear all about it's Trump's fault. The only thing I learned here is that even one of the most liberal states that is Minnesota can turn into Straight Outta Compton 1990s version overnight. America has learned absoutely nothing from Rodney King's death, absolutely nothing. Democrats are stuck in the useless "progressive vs moderate" tug-o-war and blue-collar workers have voted a millionaire like Trump into office. This would have never happened in the industrial right of way reality of the 1960s or 1970s.

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I have better things to do than listening to Trump's press conferences. And I don't need subtitles to know Democrats will do anything that contradicts Trump's actions and words. Nobody cares about decency in politics, least of all the most outdated two-party system in the world over in USA :p I bet the spin doctors & think-tanks are working extra hours right now thinking how to spin the Minnesota riots against the other party. If this happened in a state ruled by GOP then I'd hear all about it's Trump's fault. The only thing I learned here is that even one of the most liberal states that is Minnesota can turn into Straight Outta Compton 1990s version overnight. America has learned absoutely nothing from Rodney King's death, absolutely nothing. Democrats are stuck in the useless "progressive vs moderate" tug-o-war and blue-collar workers have voted a millionaire like Trump into office. This would have never happened in the industrial right of way reality of the 1960s or 1970s.

You are very, very, very correct about one thing.

Interestingly, the two political parties have largely remained silent in all of this. It’s become more of a minorities v. police/white nationalist issue. I just honestly don’t see how anyone could blame the left for any of this. We’ve advocated for policy changes for years, and right has acted as a roadblock. The only people I’ve seen “spinning” this situation are the ones that don’t understand it, so it might be wise if you do your research.

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

You are very, very, very correct about one thing.

Interestingly, the two political parties have largely remained silent in all of this. It’s become more of a minorities v. police/white nationalist issue. I just honestly don’t see how anyone could blame the left for any of this. We’ve advocated for policy changes for years, and right has acted as a roadblock. The only people I’ve seen “spinning” this situation are the ones that don’t understand it, so it might be wise if you do your research.

I have better things to do than worry about America unable to cope with their slavery & segregation legacy :bye: 

There’s a pattern with all these protests. They always start 100% peaceful. People march in peace for an hour or two, and then police show up in full riot gear with weapons at that ready. People take that as a threat, and then all hell breaks lose. Obviously the rioters then show up and are rewarded with the chaotic situation. Both sides are clearly in the wrong, but police our demonstrating in nearly every town why we need reform.

If you want to know a little more about what led to the anger that incited all these protests, here’s a good thread:

9 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thanks for the laugh ...

The American democracy is in a pretty bad state, but still far better than the Chinese „democracy“ ever was. Also:

1) What value does an apology have when it is a forced apology?

2) So the policeman should apologize before he was even found guilty/before there was any chance to determine whether his actions were the reason for the victim‘s death?

I get why people think that this is the „most effective and efficient“ solution in states like China or Saudi Arabia (this reminds me of Khashoggi‘s family members publicly „forgiving“ his killers and therefore allowing the state not to sentence them to death, after receiving multiple million dollars worth of compensation by the state ...), but in western countries it usually doesn’t work like this. 

Totally understandable. It's different ideology or "political philosophy", but this is what China gonna do. By no means government will allow a bad policeman causing such a big national chaos. It's politically, economically and healthily incorrect/cost-ineffiecient and government could correct this like a parent by forcing apology and forcing victim's family accepting compensation and the apology.