website statistics

Winter World University Games 2023

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

That is worrying - bacon, eggs & french toast should really be breakfast.  :what:

That is so much too much work for breakfast. Between the moment I get up to pick my breakfast and I start eating, I think there is roughly one minute, one and a half on a slow day, and it really shouldn't be any longer :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 12/28/2022 at 8:08 PM, Olympian1010 said:

FISU.TV is still a thing. It was pretty good during the last two Universaides in 2019, and they still have full replays available. Link: https://www.fisu.tv

This is what their website reads regarding Lake Placid 2023: “Get ready for the Lake Placid 2023 FISU World University Games Winter on 12-22 January. 1600 Student-athletes, 12 sports, and over 50 countries. Follow all your favourite winter sports live on FISU.tv. Subscribe now for free and don't miss out on live notifications and access to replays and video on demand.”

It might not be available in the U.S./Canada during the Games, as ESPN and TSN have the broadcast rights.

Have just gotten myself sorted out with the FISU app.  Looks very good. You have to register with e-mail/password, not too cumbersome, but after that it looks excellent at first glance Full coverage of everything, including group stages of hockey & curling which aren’t on Discovery.  App is on Ipad, Android, Amazon & Roku, and supports ChromeCast & Airplay, so just about perfect.  :clap:

No guarantee that it’ll all work when the action starts, though.  :lol:  Or what the geo-blocking rules will be.  First test with the hockey on Wednesday evening.

Edited by Grassmarket

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Have just gotten myself sorted out with the FISU app.  Looks very good. You have to register with e-mail/password, not too cumbersome, but after that it looks excellent at first glance Full coverage of everything, including group stages of hockey & curling which aren’t on Discovery.  App is on Ipad, Android, Amazon & Roku, and supports ChromeCast & Airplay, so just about perfect.  :clap:

Probably the most user friendly of the OTT international sports apps. I watched both the 2019 Universaides on it, and never really had a problem (so far as I can remember). 

It is interesting that they seem to be listing coverage of the preliminary ice hockey matches because I read that those wouldn’t be covered by the HB. ESPN’s schedule shows snowboard cross qualifying as the first live coverage on Thursday, but who knows :dunno:

Either way, my hype is building for these a little bit as always with any multi-sport event :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Probably the most user friendly of the OTT international sports apps.

But it still can't beat any federation or event that streams their competitions on YouTube (and puts them up on-demand after that) :p 

The Chromecast thing is promising though, but as long as it's reasonably easy to watch it on-demand and spoiler-free (and they have the basic hotkeys like skipping X seconds ahead) I'm perfectly happy :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

If you need a reason to get excited for these games, :HAI is scheduled to make their debut with cross country skier :cheer:

Link: https://medium.com/beacon-of-olympia/haitian-skiing-to-countrys-debut-at-winter-universiade-aa29a77075d8

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

If you need a reason to get excited for these games, :HAI is scheduled to make their debut with cross country skier :cheer:

Link: https://medium.com/beacon-of-olympia/haitian-skiing-to-countrys-debut-at-winter-universiade-aa29a77075d8

“As a single athlete, we’re going to have to be creative with waxing support,” admitted Dan Mallett. He added, “we might be knocking on the door of some of the bigger teams for some help if it’s difficult. Warm weather is the toughest condition for waxing.”

Good chance there'll be some teams very willing to help I guess. For the bigger teams it would take maybe 15 minutes extra for a good waxer to prepare this guy's skis in a decent manner, and I doubt they'll see him as a threat :p

Besides that, if you're in his kind of situation, you really also need to learn how to wax skis yourself. Even if at some point you make it into a bigger team, knowing how waxing works and what to do, what to avoid and which things to pay attention to is an incredibly valuable skill to have.