website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m going to correct the statement for him.

”I think we need to focus more on memorials so that we can gloss over the fact this a serious problem the nation faces, and so I can get my annual donation from the NRA.”

Sounds perfect for someone who, a few years ago, tweeted about how embarassed he was Texas was only 2nd in the nation in new gun purchases, behind California, ending with "Let's pick up the pace Texans!". Seems someone did.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, MHSN said:

not necessarily. even if I was supporting the system in general I wouldn't support such stupid policy as a sport fan (and a crazy one). which is like shooting yourself in the foot. this only hurts the Iranian athletes and nobody else. specially not Israel.

but no in general I disagree with 90% of their policies. and of course i don't support the current system which is terrible. but I also don't support those so called "opposition groups". but in my answers I usually try to show the other side of the story because I know western media always cover (and exaggerate) anything negative about Iran.

I'd be more than interested to cover something positive though, if you come across it :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

We shoot black kids for playing with you guns, and we peacefully arrest white mass shooters.

Just as a matter of clarification and a bit of nuance to an exaggerated statement like that: a rather extensive study showed white officers are not more likely to shoot minorities. Higher numbers of black people get shot by police in areas where crimes are more often committed by black people, whereas higher numbers of white people get shot by police in areas where crimes are more often committed by white people. Which makes perfect sense.

"Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings," Cesario said. "Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group predicts the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings."

Also:

Although white officers are not more likely than black officers to shoot black citizens when looking at all fatal shootings, the data are too uncertain to draw firm conclusions once different subtypes of shootings, such as shootings of unarmed citizens, are examined. This is because these types of shootings are too rare for strong conclusions to be drawn.

https://phys.org/news/2019-07-white-police-officers-minorities.html

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio... even Hollywood wouldn't come up with this kind of stuff!

Right when the land of the brave was already almost 12 hours in a mass shooting-less streak! :( 

Edited by heywoodu

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yes, sadly there are so many mass shootings in USA these days, nobody cares about them anymore. But blaming Trump doesn't make sense, even if he goes and there's a Dems President these things will happen again and again. I've said before NRA basically holds both the main parties hostage and gun control laws won't change anytime soon. You can pass hate crime laws whatever, that's just giving a plain murder a new fancy name. People will spend more time mocking the likes of Trump on twitter than really doing anything about these mass murders. But it comes down to culture, gun violence is rooted in your DNA and that's the way it is.

Besides the fact that the shooter was a white nationalist, an ideology that Trump has continued to preach and motivate these shooters.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just as a matter of clarification and a bit of nuance to an exaggerated statement like that: a rather extensive study showed white officers are not more likely to shoot minorities. Higher numbers of black people get shot by police in areas where crimes are more often committed by black people, whereas higher numbers of white people get shot by police in areas where crimes are more often committed by white people. Which makes perfect sense.

Also:

https://phys.org/news/2019-07-white-police-officers-minorities.html

The difference is that officers honestly would never shot white children playing with nerf,bb, and fake guns. It happens at the time to black kids because I swear we have the only officers in the world with a shoot first ask questions later mentality.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Another mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio... even Hollywood wouldn't come up with this kind of stuff!

Less dead more injured, not that the numbers matter anymore.

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The difference is that officers honestly would never shot white children playing with nerf,bb, and fake guns. It happens at the time to black kids because I swear we have the only officers in the world with a shoot first ask questions later mentality.

Once again, a study based on actual facts showed differently. The ethnicity that commits the highest number of crimes in a certain area has the highest risk to get shot and there's no noticeable difference between the ethnicity of the shooting officers - apart from the perfectly logical one, where the population numbers partially define how many officers of a certain ethnicity there are and how many people per ethnicity get shot. In other, slightly exaggerated words: it's like in DR Congo mostly black people get shot and in Siberia mostly white people get shot. Well, yeah.

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Besides the fact that the shooter was a white nationalist, an ideology that Trump has continued to preach and motivate these shooters.

You can have a black Jewish gay president and these mass shootings will happen again and again. Stop foolin' yourself :dunno: