website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

It's nice to have Panama in gymnastics. Isabella Amado is a good gymnast and she will represent her country in the best possible way. Valentina Brostella is also quite decent. I hope they decide to invest some money now because Brostella has what it takes to qualify on her own in 2020 if she improves on the Uneven Bars.

Crovetto is a nice choice as well.

Cape Verde in Rhythmics again? It's not that they don't deserve it. It's just that Angola could benefit a lot more from this quota if they were given it...

Edited by thiago_simoes

Just a side note about a mistake that had not been corrected for 105 years: in 1911, Stane Vidmar won a medal at the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. The medal is credited to Yugoslavia almost everywhere in the internet. Some sources credit it to Slovenia. But Vidmar represented the Kingdom of Serbia, since there was neither Yugoslavia nor Slovenia in 1911.

Now we know that Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia all have at least one medal at the World Gymnastics Championships. The world seems fair now. ;) 

16 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Just a side note about a mistake that had not been corrected for 105 years: in 1911, Stane Vidmar won a medal at the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. The medal is credited to Yugoslavia almost everywhere in the internet. Some sources credit it to Slovenia. But Vidmar represented the Kingdom of Serbia, since there was neither Yugoslavia nor Slovenia in 1911.

Now we know that Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia all have at least one medal at the World Gymnastics Championships. The world seems fair now. ;) 

wow, an interesting news

but are you sure he represented Serbia and not Austria?

Agora, DaniSRB disse:

wow, an interesting news

but are you sure he represented Serbia and not Austria?

This is the most mistake-free medal table I could find and they credit the medal to Serbia. The original source of the mistaken information was Sport123, which credited the medal to Yugoslavia. I don't think he represented Austria.

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is the most mistake-free medal table I could find and they credit the medal to Serbia. The original source of the mistaken information was Sport123, which credited the medal to Yugoslavia. I don't think he represented Austria.

very interesting news, thank for leting us know :yes

18 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I don't think he represented Austria.

He probably did. According to Wikipedia he was born and spent his all life in Slovenia (Ljubljana). And since whole Slovenia was part of the Austria-Hungary Empire until 1918 (just like Croatia for example). therefore, he lived in Austria-Hungary Empire.

#banbestmen

4 horas atrás, dcro disse:

He probably did. According to Wikipedia he was born and spent his all life in Slovenia (Ljubljana). And since whole Slovenia was part of the Austria-Hungary Empire until 1918 (just like Croatia for example). therefore, he lived in Austria-Hungary Empire.

I've looked into the issue.

If machine translations of documents in Slovenian are to be believed, he competed representing club Sokol, a notable club for Slovenian athletes. So, he was decidedly not representing (or not wanting to represent) the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the time. There has been a notable case of an Austrian gymnast who represented an American club at the early Olympics, and even his individual medals are counted for the United States instead of Austria. So, the focus is on representation rather than nationality.

Though I have found absolutely no official confirmation on the subject, some sources claim that FIG transferred the medals from the 1911 Worlds earned by Bohemia to Czechoslovakia, and in every source I could find Vidmar's medal is credited to either Serbia, Slovenia or Yugoslavia. No source at all credits his medal to Austria, Hungary or the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Besides, Vidmar was a Lieutenant and he joined the Serbian rebel army in 1912, so he had much stronger ties with Serbia, an existing territory at the time, rather than Austria-Hungary. 

This is a complex issue and I've tried my best to find all the information about this. The medal table from the link I've posted is the most complete one I can find (though they credit a bronze medal to Slovenia in 2002 when in fact it was a silver medal, but this is a very minor mistake). I have enough reasons to believe they may have had access to official information. Their medal table in Rhythmics is also the most complete one in the history of the sport. Besides, this is as close to official information as we can ever get and I doubt the FIG could shed a light on this issue. They seem not to care about past results, which is a shame.

Edited by thiago_simoes

9 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I've looked into the issue.

If machine translations of documents in Slovenian are to be believed, he competed representing club Sokol, a notable club for Slovenian athletes. So, he was decidedly not representing (or not wanting to represent) the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the time. There has been a notable case of an Austrian gymnast who represented an American club at the early Olympics, and even his individual medals are counted for the United States instead of Austria. So, the focus is on representation rather than nationality.

Though I have found absolutely no official confirmation on the subject, some sources claim that FIG transferred the medals from the 1911 Worlds earned by Bohemia to Czechoslovakia, and in every source I could find Vidmar's medal is credited to either Serbia, Slovenia or Yugoslavia. No source at all credits his medal to Austria, Hungary or the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Besides, Vidmar was a Lieutenant and he joined the Serbian rebel army in 1912, so he had much stronger ties with Serbia, an existing territory at the time, rather than Austria-Hungary. 

This is a complex issue and I've tried my best to find all the information about this. The medal table from the link I've posted is the most complete one I can find (though they credit a bronze medal for Slovenia in 2002 when in fact it was a silver medal, but this is a very minor mistake). I have enough reasons to believe they may have had access to official information. Their medal table in Rhythmics is also the most complete one in the history of the sport. Besides, this is as close to official information as we can ever get. I doubt the FIG could shed a light on this issue. They seem not to care about past results, which is a shame.

Sokol is this btw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokol

if he joined army in 1912, that explaine why he didn't compete in 1912 Olympics.

Edited by DaniSRB