hckošice

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

8OkbIolrn8FlhggQUWWGCBBRp0uv8HQ0mwnsLWDY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group A

Canada CAN.gif 7 - 3 SUI.gif Switzerland
Period-by-Period: 2-0, 1-2, 4-1
April 17th 2017, h. 15:30, Poprad Arena, Poprad

Newcomers do it all

Canada's late additions score big in win

CRD_7816_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Cody Glass and Jack Studnicka both arrived in Poprad yesterday from Canada, and both scored twice today in their team's 7-3 win over Switzerland.

Glass added an assist to make it a three-point debut.

The Swiss kept the score close but were always playing from behind and couldn't quite put enough pressure on Canada. The result was a 7-3 score.

The win gives Canada eight points in Group A, one behind Finland. Thes teams will play tomororw night with first place on the line.

The Swiss remain in third with three points and have qualified for the quarter-finals, but they'll play either the first- or second-place team from Group B, not an easy task.

After a slow start to the game, Canada opened the scoring midway through the first when a harmless-looking shot from Kyle Olson was tipped in front by Studnicka.

Less than three minutes later, it was 2-0. Jocktan Chainey made a nice pass to Glass, who beat Zaetta through the pads at 12:29.

Studnicka got his second of the day at 3:31 of the second. Matthew Strome his him with a nice pass, and Studnicka got his body n position to fire home a on-etimer.

But Canada didn't do things the easy way. A power play miday through the period proved costly when Keijo Weibel scooped up a loose puck in centr ice and went in alone on McGrath, beating him 5-hole with a nice finish to the short-handed goal.

Canada thought it had increased the lead to 4-1 a bit later, but video review ruled that Stylianos Mattehos tipped the puck in with a high stick.

That, too, proved to be a costly turn of events for Canada, and a fortuitous one for the Swiss. Canada took two late penalties just four seconds apart, and the Swiss scored with the 5-on-3. Simon le Coultre made a great slap-pass form the point, and Philpp Kurashev made an equally nice re-direct past McGrath.

All of a sudden, it was 3-2 and the Swiss were gaining in confidence.

Canada, however, was quick to wipe that away in the third. Glass got his second of the game on a similar play to Kurashev's goal. This time it was Chainey at the point finding Glass in front for the tip. just 1:15 in.

Glass added an assist at 9:47 off the rush, dropping a pass to Olson, who wired a shot past Zaetta.

Nando Eggenberger got a late goal for the Swiss, knocking in a rebound while falling to the ice at 16:07.

With nothing to lose, Swiss coach Thierry Paterlini pulled Zaetta with more than three minutes to go, but Mattheos put one in the empty net to seal the deal.

Mackenzie Entwistle finished the scoring with a goal at 19:41.

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group B

United States USA.gif 5 - 2 CZE.gif Czech Republic
Period-by-Period: 2-1, 2-1, 1-0
April 17th 2016, h. 15:30, Arena Spisska Nova Ves, Spisska Nova Ves

Americans stay perfect vs Czechs

Gildon’s hat-trick keeps USA on top of Spisska group

USA_vs_CZE_010_Channel%20Homepage%20Slid

Defenceman Maxwell Gildon scored three times and Jacob Tortora also had two points, as the USA beat the Czech Republic 5-2 in a wide-open game.

The Czechs were led by offensively by Jan Kern with two assists, in a game which saw three penalty shots and lots of power play time and odd-man rushes.

“I would say that it wasn’t our best game 5-on-5,” admitted U.S. coach John Wroblewski. “We really didn’t get to the grind or control the offensive zone like we need to, so there are certainly some things to work on.”

At their best or not, with nine points in three games, the Americans stay perfect and pull ahead of Sweden for top spot in the group, while the Czechs stay even with Russia - for now.

The Czechs came out of the gate hard, cheered on by a partisan crowd of 3856, and scored less than two minutes in when Ondrej Machala’s wrister from the high slot beat Dylan St. Cyr high to the glove side.

“You just try to look past it and play like it’s a 0-0 game all the time,” St. Cyr said about giving up an early goal. “I really don’t think it has a big impact. It happened a couple games ago against Russia as well. You just reset your mind and move on to the next shot.”

After that, St. Cyr stopped 24 or 25 shots the rest of the way.

“He’s our rock,” Wroblewski said of St. Cyr. “I think it was their first shot that went in - it was a great shot by their guy - but Dylan just continues to persevere.”

Ten minutes later the Czechs looked to double their lead on the power play, but instead Brady Tkachuk tied it on a shorthanded breakaway, making a nifty move to his backhand and sliding the puck under Jakub Skarek.

While still on the power play, Filip Zadina had a golden chance to restore the Czech lead right after the goal but hit the goalpost, but with the teams back at even strength the Americans took their first lead of the game when Grant Mismash found Gildon at the top of the slot, and he went high, glove side on Skarek.

“It was a great play by Grant coming in and giving me the puck,” Gildon described. “I just kinda shot it and did the rest.”

Of the team’s start, Gildon said of the Czechs: “They’re a good team and they came out pressuring us hard, and we just had to weather the storm and play the way we know how to play.”

The teams opened it up a bit more in the second period, combining for 25 shots on goal, including a penalty shot each way.

The Czechs got a third straight power play early in the period but it was the Americans who got the best chances with a pair of 2-on-1s that failed to convert. Then with the teams playing 4-on-4 Tortora put the Americans up by a pair, skating in alone on Skarek and beating him high to the glove side.

Midway through the period, Jan Hladonik had a chance to cut the Czech deficit in half when he was hooked on a breakaway and awarded a penalty shot, but was denied by the blocker of St. Cyr.

“It’s just another shot - nothing special,” St. Cyr cooly said. “That’s how I think about it in my mind - there’s just no defenders.” As for three penalty shots in a single game, he laughed: “No, I’ve never seen that before, except in a shootout.”

Then a couple of minutes later, Gildon’s second of the game made it 4-1, after which Skarek was lifted in favour of Jiri Patera.

“It was another 2-on-1 situation,” Gildon said of his second goal. “Logan Cockerill came in and faked a shot and gave it to me backdoor and I had an easy tap-in.”

After Ostap Safin’s backhander short side brought the Czechs back to within two, Michael Pastujov had a chance to once again increase the American lead late in the middle frame when he was awarded a penalty shot, but he couldn’t slip the backhander between Patera’s pads.

In the third period, Oliver Wahlstrom was given the game’s third penalty shot, but was denied by Patera, who stopped every shot he faced until beaten by Gildon’s hat-trick goal with exactly two minutes to play.

About the chance for the hat-trick, Gildon said: “It was in the back of my mind but we needed to keep the lead and that’s what we were focused on most.”

The Americans did hold on for the win, setting up a game on Tuesday where they need just a single point to finish first in the group. After that, in the group’s final game, the Czechs will face Russia with third place on the line. 

On 16/4/2017 at 17:34, hckosice said:

Here it is. Highlights from yesterdays FANTASTIC match Canada - Slovakia at Under 18 World Championships in Slovakia.

Oh Baby ! This is HOCKEY !!!! Fantastic play, Fantastic skills, Fantastic crowd..Simply a true oldie hockey just how we love it

Enjoy !!! :cheer:

yeah, I watched that game (on STV2 :)) and it was really amazing...

I can't believe that 17/18 years old guys can play that level of hockey...

and I was also surprised by the Slovak youngsters...I didn't really think they could put Canada under such pressure as they did...

at the end I was so sorry that their effort wasn't enough to get a well deserved win...

right now I'm watching part of the SVK vs LAT game, but it doesn't look as entertaining as saturday's (even if SVK are winning - they just scored the second goal to none)...

meanwhile, I'm worried about Italy's campaign for the senior Worlds...we just lost 2 games even against the phantom of Austria (which isn't really encouraging)...:facepalm:

Edited by phelps

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

yeah, I watched that game (on STV2 :)) and it was really amazing...

I can't believe that 17/18 years old guys can play that level of hockey...

and I was also surprised by the Slovak youngsters...I didn't really think they could put Canada under such pressure as they did...

at the end I was so sorry that their effort wasn't enough to get a well deserved win...

right now I'm watching part of the SVK vs LAT game, but it doesn't look as entertaining as saturday's (even if SVK are winning - they just scored the second goal to none)...

meanwhile, I'm worried about Italy's campaign for the senior Worlds...we just lost 2 games even against the phantom of Austria (which isn't really encouraging)...:facepalm:

well, now it looks much better, 3-0 :d

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

I just saw that...;)

it looks that tonight you're not gonna be sad at the end of the game...:lol:

We knew that this generation is good, there some really interesting (maybe even NHL) prospects such Fehervary, Liška, Ružička, Miloš Roman, Hrehorčák, Krivošík...but this is really huge what they are able to show here, even more when we consider the pressure from the stands...The crowd is fantastic

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Group A

Slovakia SVK.gif 4 - 0 LAT.gif Latvia
Period-by-Period: 1-0, 2-0, 1-0
April 17th 2017, h. 19:30, Poprad Arena, Poprad

Slovakia to quarter-finals

Latvia loses, 4-0, headed to relegation

CRD_8725_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Slovakia broke open a close game with two goals in a dominant second period en route to a huge win in Poprad tonight.

Goaltender Jakub Kostelny wasn't particularly busy, stopping just 15 shots for the shutout.

The win gives Slovakia four points in Group A standings while winless Latvia has zero. Slovakia plays Switzerland tomorrow and can move up to third place with a win.

"We were a bit nervous befor the game," admitted Adam Ruzicka, one of the goalscorers tonight. "The crowd is crazy! It's ridiculous! But they're supporting us, which is great. Once we scored the first two goals, we felt much better. We just have to keep going and win every game now. That's our goal."

The Latvians will play in the best-of-three relegation against Belarus starting Thursday. They have scored only three goals in four games and surrendered 19.

"You can't win if you can't score," lamented captain Deniss Smirnovs. "Now we have to get ready for Belarus. It's going to be a tough series."

Both teams stared out cautious in the early going, but Slovakia got the only goal of the first on a goal by Matus Havrila. Patrik Hrehorcak barreled down the right wing and chipped a pass in front. Goaltender Janis Voris got his stick on it, but the puck fell to Havrila, who nudged it in at 17:05.

Latvia had an early power play in the second but couldn’t do much with it, and after that the Slovaks dominated. Voris was excellent in the Latvian goal, but he couldn’t stop them all. 

The Slovaks, boosted by another impressive home crowd, made it 2-0 at 6:47 courtesy of a great snap shot from Ruzicka from the right faceoff dot. 

"I pracise that every day," he explained. "I saw the open lane and took a shot. And it went in!"

And the pressure continued. The Latvians were left scrambling in their own end shift after shift, and the hosts were rewarded with another goal at 11:05. On this, Milos Roman connected with a loose puck in front.

"After the first period, we just talked about staying calm," Ruzicka added. "We just wanted to play hockey and focus on scoring goals."

Martin Fehevary added an insurance goal early in the third on a power play, much to the delight of the celebrating fans who chanted and drummed their way merrily through the final 20 minutes.

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Group B

Russia RUS.gif 4 - 1 BLR.gif Belarus
Period-by-Period: 0-0, 2-1, 2-0
April 17th 2016, h. 19:30, Arena Spisska Nova Ves, Spisska Nova Ves

Russia starts shaky, rallies to win

Russians to quarters, Belarus to relegation series

RUS_vs_BLR_008_Channel%20Homepage%20Slid

Badly outplayed in the first half by Belarus, the Russians came back with a strong second half to win 4-1, thanks to two goals from Ivan Chekhovich.

In their most recent outing against Sweden, the Belarusians were less than a minute away from getting at least their first point of the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship. This time out, they needed a win in regulation time to keep their hopes of advancing to the quarter-finals alive. For half of the game against Russia, they seemed determined to do just that. In the end, however, they finish the group stage without any points.

Belarus was surprisingly dominant in the first period against a Russian squad that still has its sights set on claiming second place in Group B, winning in the shot count by a decisive 13-7 margin and getting most of the best scoring chances. The best chance came midway through the period when Vladislav Yeryomenko exited the penalty box, took a breakaway pass and skated right in on Kirill Ustimenko, who denied the Belarusian defenceman with a pad save.

The Belarusian pressure continued into the second as the Russians took two straight penalties, but the game remained scoreless until the 27th minute, with the teams at full strength, when the puck squirted out from behind the Russian net to Artyom Anosov, who snapped home an unassisted goal.

The reeling Russians seemed to wake up at that point, however. Just over a minute after the Belarusian goal, Ivan Drozdov was called for tripping and Russia went to the power play. They hadn’t generated much on their two opportunities in the first period, when they were perhaps trying to be a bit too fancy, but this time they put their work boots on and Chekhovich put home a rebound to tie the score.

Less than a minute after that, they took the lead on a brilliant individual effort by Kirill Slepets, wrapping the puck around the net on his backhand before Andrei Grishenko could reach the far post.

It was still a just a one-goal game, but with the monkey off their backs the Russians seemed to play with much more poise from that point onward. They gave the Belarusians very few chances in the third period, and when Andrei Svechnikov tipped Mark Rubinchik’s point shot on the power play midway through the third period to make it 3-1, one felt that they pretty much had the three points in hand.

Chekhovich’s second goal of the game late made it a 4-1 final.

WIth the win, the Russians are now tied with Sweden in points for second place in Group B. Depending on the outcome of the two games, they could still finish anywhere between second and fourth. Belarus, meanwhile, will have to win two out of three games against its neighbour from Latvia to stay in the top group next year.

Mens

Under 18 Top Division World Championships 2017 in Poprad and Spišská Nová Ves (SVK)

Day 6 Schedule (18th April 2017)

GMT +2

Preliminary Round Last Day

Group A in Poprad

15:30  Finland vs Canada

19:30  Switzerland vs Slovakia

Group B in Spišská Nová Ves

15:30  Sweden vs United States

19:30  Czech Republic vs Russia

*All 8 teams playing tomorrow are the 8 qualified for the quarterfinals. Latvia and Belarus both already finished their preliminary round journey and both will play the relegation round series.

**In Group A, Finland vs Canada will be the direct match for 1st and 2nd place of the group. Switzerland vs Slovakia direct match for 3rd and 4th place of the group.

***In Group B, Sweden, USA and Russia are still fighting for the 1st place, Czech Republic still fighting for 2nd place.

Livestream

Mens

Under 18 Division I Group B World Championships 2017 in Bled (SLO)

Day 3 Schedule (18th April 2017)

GMT +2

13:00  Japan vs Ukraine

16:30  Poland vs Slovenia

20:00  Austria vs Italy

Livestream

Womens

Division I Group A World Championships 2017 in Graz (AUT)

Day 3 Schedule (18th April 2017)

GMT +2

13:00  Japan vs Norway

16:30  Hungary vs Denmark

20:00  France vs Austria