website statistics

Biathlon 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

3 hours ago, Agger said:

Good news for @heywoodu Sloof will be in the World Cup this weekend :)

Wow, that's awesome and very, very much deserved after her performance in Ridnaun! 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Biathlon Brazil fanclub update: tomorrow we have the Junior Cup sprints in Hochfilzen, the venue of the (senior) World Championships. This time it's followed by a pursuit, and the interesting but slightly bad news is that the start lists are huge! 116 guys is not so special at this level, but 108 girls is more than I've seen at IBU Cups..Gabi will have to keep 48 girls behind her to qualify for the pursuit! I have identified 24 athletes who, in my opinion, Gabi should 'easily' be able to keep behind her in terms of skiing speed, so now it's a matter of hoping she has a good day on the tracks and a better time on the range and who knows what's possible :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Biathlon Brazil fanclub update: tomorrow we have the Junior Cup sprints in Hochfilzen, the venue of the (senior) World Championships. This time it's followed by a pursuit, and the interesting but slightly bad news is that the start lists are huge! 116 guys is not so special at this level, but 108 girls is more than I've seen at IBU Cups..Gabi will have to keep 48 girls behind her to qualify for the pursuit! I have identified 24 athletes who, in my opinion, Gabi should 'easily' be able to keep behind her in terms of skiing speed, so now it's a matter of hoping she has a good day on the tracks and a better time on the range and who knows what's possible :p 

I hope you don't mind I'm abandoning Brazil as my team for this one race because Greenland :d

Still wish well on Gabi of course! I agree if she shoots clear she could make the pursuit.

56 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I hope you don't mind I'm abandoning Brazil as my team for this one race because Greenland :d

Still wish well on Gabi of course! I agree if she shoots clear she could make the pursuit.

In case you're interested in some help following the slower athletes, my little noted start list for tomorrow :d 

At first I used "x" to mark the slower athletes, but then I thought "hey this athlete is not just slower, she's REALLY slower" so I used xx, and the same process happened again resulting in xxx for the athletes who were several minutes behind Gabi (in skiing time) last weekend :p 

Sadly it's horizontal so you'll have to break your neck to see it, but hey, it's all part of being a Biathlon Brazil Fanclub member :p (it's hard to guess where Greenland's girls would be in terms of speed, but they might be able to fight against the two Serbians and the Moldovans)

Spoiler

qcCxxA3.jpg

hZ3fhLV.jpg

43 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In case you're interested in some help following the slower athletes, my little noted start list for tomorrow :d 

At first I used "x" to mark the slower athletes, but then I thought "hey this athlete is not just slower, she's REALLY slower" so I used xx, and the same process happened again resulting in xxx for the athletes who were several minutes behind Gabi (in skiing time) last weekend :p 

Sadly it's horizontal so you'll have to break your neck to see it, but hey, it's all part of being a Biathlon Brazil Fanclub member :p (it's hard to guess where Greenland's girls would be in terms of speed, but they might be able to fight against the two Serbians and the Moldovans)

Hide contents

qcCxxA3.jpg

hZ3fhLV.jpg

:yes Let's hope she can get there! 

I will be watching.

By the way it looks like there might be a relay of Serbian women...Godspeed :p Though Maja Drndic has had some decent results and is improving quite a bit since last year.

8 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

:yes Let's hope she can get there! 

I will be watching.

By the way it looks like there might be a relay of Serbian women...Godspeed :p Though Maja Drndic has had some decent results and is improving quite a bit since last year.

Yes I was very surprised by Drndic' results, she was actually way in the top half in terms of skiing speed! 

I remember seeing results of relays in the Europa Cup (what is now the IBU Cup) like 10 years ago, where there were mixed teams...mixed in terms of nations, so also smaller nations had athletes in relays. I wonder if that's possible here for Gabi, to compete with for example two Bosnians (or Greenlanders, imagine that :d ).

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yes I was very surprised by Drndic' results, she was actually way in the top half in terms of skiing speed! 

I remember seeing results of relays in the Europa Cup (what is now the IBU Cup) like 10 years ago, where there were mixed teams...mixed in terms of nations, so also smaller nations had athletes in relays. I wonder if that's possible here for Gabi, to compete with for example two Bosnians (or Greenlanders, imagine that :d ).

Haha. Although let's hope the Bosnians race, too, it would be somewhat of a battle with Serbia...

About Greenland one of their athletes is Uiloq Slettemark's 15 year old daughter who competed at the Arctic Winter Games apparently.

18 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Haha. Although let's hope the Bosnians race, too, it would be somewhat of a battle with Serbia...

About Greenland one of their athletes is Uiloq Slettemark's 15 year old daughter who competed at the Arctic Winter Games apparently.

Cool! I didn't find her in any IBU results, FIS results or the Youth Olympics, forgot to check the Arctic Winter Games...some convincing results for her in the three junior races :d

It all says sprint, but it's actually (in order) Individual, Sprint, Mass Start :) 

383ff91351.png

2b48aaa6be.png

2120199da8.png

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Cool! I didn't find her in any IBU results, FIS results or the Youth Olympics, forgot to check the Arctic Winter Games...some convincing results for her in the three junior races :d

It all says sprint, but it's actually (in order) Individual, Sprint, Mass Start :) 

383ff91351.png

2b48aaa6be.png

2120199da8.png

Those are pretty decent margins! Keeping in mind of course this is the AWG. But she obviously has SOME class. I wonder how well she shoots. She did an interview where she was proud that she shot a reindeer and both shooting a reindeer and a biathlon target successfully have the same good feeling :p 

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/03/12/469983624/at-arctic-winter-games-biathlons-stick-pulls-and-sledge-jumps

And it seems the other athlete competed last year twice and both times finished dead last, though she was like 16 at the time.