website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

To put it into perspective:

What Lithuanians think Folk is:

What Folk really is:

I've had to explain myself a lot in conversations for why I like folk music far too much :d but yeah, I'd dare say it's actually the most intimate genre of music, with the lyrics, raw emotions, subtle choices of melody and instrumentation, the approach towards a more natural and raw sound in the mixing & mastering of the vocals, I can't praise folk music enough. Laura Marling is awesome, All The Luck In The World, Gemma Hayes, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, Sufjan Stevens, City and Colour, Gavin James, I could go on and on

58 minutes ago, Werloc said:

That moment when you realise that half of your all time favourite artists are Irish and that @OlympicIRL now has a list whenever he wants to score a 12 :lol:

I'm a simp for Irish music.

Mental notes being stored :d 

Just kidding, but actually Gavin James has been very close to being picked a couple of times and is considered for the Annual most years. 

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Mental notes being stored :d 

Just kidding, but actually Gavin James has been very close to being picked a couple of times and is considered for the Annual most years. 

I can't even, his voice and songwriting are perfect. Not going to dig myself a deeper hole by listing my top 5 songs of his :d

3 hours ago, Werloc said:

I'm happy you can be proud of your traditional music, I'd rather die than expose the forum to traditional Lithuanian music. Let's just say it's probably not great if your traditional 'pop' music has a tag of 'wedding music' and is not appropriate to listen to for anybody under the age of 45 :p

Another irk that I have with traditional Lithuanian music is that my favourite genre of music is folk and most Lithuanians associate it with Lithuanian folk music (that is usually performed with a lot of vocalists and a lot of instruments) opposed to actual folk music with 1-2 vocalists, 1-4 instruments and lyrics that make you think about life in a multitude of ways. 

I would definitely listen to it!

I've been "using" TISC to show all different types of genres of what i think is the best of portuguese music, including some traditional (like fado). I know it is not winning material and will hardly please everyone, but if at least one will like it, then I would consider worth of it as I managed to share a piece of my nation with someone else :d

Who knows if it can happen the same way with lithuanian traditional music? :d

14 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

I would definitely listen to it!

I've been "using" TISC to show all different types of genres of what i think is the best of portuguese music, including some traditional (like fado). 

Who knows if it can happen the same way with lithuanian traditional music? :d

The problem is that our 'wedding music' is the worst of Lithuanian music. There is literally not a single song from that era that I can remember fondly and all of them are enjoyed ironically with comedic intent. Unless you grew up with those times, then you think that it's the best thing ever. 

No one on this forum should know who Rytis Cicinas is for example. Youtube search him at your own risk with the words "Meiles laivas" :) It is not the traditional Lithuanian folk music, but it's everything that we've had between 1990-2007ish, which is why I've only sent 1 song from that era during my time at TISC.

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

The problem is that our 'wedding music' is the worst of Lithuanian music. There is literally not a single song from that era that I can remember fondly and all of them are enjoyed ironically with comedic intent. Unless you grew up with those times, then you think that it's the best thing ever. 

No one on this forum should know who Rytis Cicinas is for example. Youtube search him at your own risk with the words "Meiles laivas" :) It is not the traditional Lithuanian folk music, but it's everything that we've had between 1990-2007ish, which is why I've only sent 1 song from that era during my time at TISC.

Haha, it looks like our Pimba music (we call a specific genre of portuguese music Pimba, it's music used not only at weddings but also in cities festivals, in rural areas parties, and also popular in emigrants).

I have not yet shared in TISC because usually to enjoy it you need to understand the lyrics (filled with words that have double meanings haha), but one day i'll send one.

In the meantime, to get the idea, this is what i mean by Pimba music :p

23 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

Haha, it looks like our Pimba music (we call a specific genre of portuguese music Pimba, it's music used not only at weddings but also in cities festivals, in rural areas parties, and also popular in emigrants).

I have not yet shared in TISC because usually to enjoy it you need to understand the lyrics (filled with words that have double meanings haha), but one day i'll send one.

In the meantime, to get the idea, this is what i mean by Pimba music :p

You hit it right on the nose, especially when you mentioned rural area parties, yeah, that's where the views come from on music like this :lol:

I feel like I'm in a mugė (fair) when I listen to this Portuguese song and it feels too familiar. Still, I'd say it has more quality than what we ever put out and we also have a word to define these artists:

We used to call them performers of estrada type of music with a lot of bling, a lot of average beats and a lot of extravagant dancers in the background (I've searched and the word estrada doesn't accurately translate the word into English)

for example, if Michael Jackson had the title King of Pop, then Rytis Cicinas in Lithuania had a nickname "Estrados princas" so he was a prince of estrada/pop. I've tried my best to explain this mess :d