website statistics

Team GB Debrief

One last mention although I might have to renounce my turbo nerd title. The American commentator (name unknown) eurosport got for the hockey was spectacularly irritating because of the use of what I presume was American terminology. Never before have I heard the term scoring sector and I do not wish to hear again for at least 4 years. 

4 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Some events were much easier to listen to on BBC, for all their faults. Some were better on RTÉ! And some were better on Eurosport. While ina  few, the Radio nearly was better than the telly.

In athletics, I like Cotter, Crammy and Jasmin, and Backley is pretty good too - I think Sawyers understanding of the Jumps is a real help to him, and I'd be disappointed if this doesn't end up her career after track is done - she has the knack. Merry on the radio is absolutely excellent.

In swimming, I preferred the two Andy's just. Triathlon, despite the screw ups is BBCall day long.

Diving is about 50/50 - Leon really brings great emotion and he clearly knows the sport, but the overall info is better on ES

Equestrian, much preferred ES, as I did with Canoe and rowing, Climbing and, oddly, Golf. BBC better for tennis.

Both BBC and ES are excellent on cycling, either was great.

All in all, Discovery+/Eurosport was a bargain, all things considered - obviously 2012 style BBC saturation fo free is better, but there are much worse propositions than D+

I must say, for tennis, the call for Murray's games seemed a bit pitiful

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

GB biggest issue is that don't dominate a sport we can rely 4-5 golds per cycle. USA have athletics and swimming, China table tennis, Japan wrestling 

Australia swimming. Should have one sport offers plenty of medals concentrate on. 

1 hour ago, Timezone said:

GB biggest issue is that don't dominate a sport we can rely 4-5 golds per cycle. USA have athletics and swimming, China table tennis, Japan wrestling 

Australia swimming. Should have one sport offers plenty of medals concentrate on. 

I think we’ve giving that approach a decent go in rowing:

Paris: 3G 2S 3B

Toyko (oops): 1S 1B

Rio: 3G 2S

London: 4G 2S 3B

Same could be said for previous games of track cycling (this games obviously less good), pictured below : 

IMG_7783.jpeg

Which supports @KingKuntas view that having a few things we’re solid at can help mitigate a wobbly performance in others. 

With my “I play sport hat” on, I’d rather we continue to support the many talented athletes we have and invest in a variety of sports, which in turn inspires and benefits our general population. Not everyone is going to be an amazing cyclist but they could have a passion for climbing and having the facilities to do that and stay active is key for our wellbeing across the board. 

This in turn both inspires a greater proportion of the population to stay active 

12 hours ago, G-ann said:

One last mention although I might have to renounce my turbo nerd title. The American commentator (name unknown) eurosport got for the hockey was spectacularly irritating because of the use of what I presume was American terminology. Never before have I heard the term scoring sector and I do not wish to hear again for at least 4 years. 

British-based Canadian ice hockey commentator, can’t remember his name.

https://athleticsweekly.com/event-reports/paris-olympics-statistical-review-1039991550/

Quite a nice article summing up GB's athletics performance.

I didn't realise that Dobson ran a 43.33, which was only a few tenths slower than MHS, so I feel he has a big run in him at some point.

On 8/17/2024 at 8:27 AM, Timezone said:

GB had that for 20 years : track cycling and a lesser extent rowing. The rest of the world has caught up. GBR can never hope to have the sort of one sport dominance that China has in Table tennis - the sport is an absolute obsession in china, and they have the guts of a billion and a half people.  They are also brilliant at diving, but I genuinely don't believe that is unassailable - it used to be the USA

Obviously if classic British pub sports like snooker or darts where in, they would be perennial winners and medalists. But they ain't.

GB has always been a 'jack of all trades' sports nation, not least because it codified so many of the sports. Very few nations have the 'spred' of medals that GB does - really only USA and China, frankly. Some nations historically punch above their weight - Australia and Netherlands, notably - but that is often down to a kind of ruthlessness in targeting, and other cultural issues.

There are a few sports I believe GBR should be better at than they seem to be in an Olympic context - Sevens, most obviously, but also Archery, Badminton, Flatwater Canoe and Judo. some we seem to overachieve in - We are usually competitive in Shotgun despite a gun ban, Slalom canoe, and latterly gymnastics. And there are some sports with lots of medals that we seem to have little or no interest in whatsoever - Wrestling the most obvious, but also fencing and of course the team sports - water polo, volleyball, handball and most bizarrely basketball.

Speaking of pub sports. What would constitute the events in a British pub Olympics? 

A boat race obviously, maybe skittles? Then queuing politely yet passive aggressively at a busy bar.. 

48 minutes ago, G-ann said:

Speaking of pub sports. What would constitute the events in a British pub Olympics? 

A boat race obviously, maybe skittles? Then queuing politely yet passive aggressively at a busy bar.. 

Bar billiards used to be big, but it's literally decades since I saw a table in working order.  Pool replaced it.