website statistics

Which Podium will remain the same between Tokyo and Paris Road to Paris 2024

TeamGB

I checked individual athletics and swimming (and diving) events and I think there's never been a fully repeated podium in consecutive Olympics?* Maybe this time with only a 3 year gap it could be different but it seems mighty hard, I wonder how many times in happened across all sports (in individual events).

*yes, exactly once, see below

Edited by Faramir

Both field hockey tournaments are contenders for a repeat podium. But even with only like 5 serious contenders, there'a still so many factors in a team sport that an exact repeat remains a small chance.

Interesting question!

2 hours ago, Faramir said:

I checked individual athletics and swimming (and diving) events and I think there's never been a fully repeated podium in consecutive Olympics? Maybe this time with only a 3 year gap it could be different but it seems mighty hard, I wonder how many times in happened across all sports (in individual events).

Men's shot put 2016 -2020  exact same order Crouser - Kovacs - Walsh (and I think that is the only repeat podium ever in an individual event).

Edited by Triplecast

1 hour ago, Faramir said:

Oh shit, i got to 100+ years ago and forgot that :facepalm:

so once so far.

I'm sure there are more with the same 3 people, but I remembered this one:    M 200 IM   2008 Phelps - Cseh - Lochte 2012 Phelps - Lochte - Cseh.

8 hours ago, Triplecast said:

I'm sure there are more with the same 3 people, but I remembered this one:    M 200 IM   2008 Phelps - Cseh - Lochte 2012 Phelps - Lochte - Cseh.

Of that kind there are a lot more but I think the question was for the same podium in the same positions. Crouser-Kovacs-Walsh seems to be the only case individually: https://www.businessinsider.com/shot-put-olympians-won-same-medals-back-to-back-olympics-2021-8