website statistics

[POLL] Are you satisfied with your Olympic Contingent for Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024? Road to Paris 2024

Are you satisfied with your Olympic Contingent for Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with your Olympic Contingent?

• Yes, infact exceeded expectations
    • Yes, quite satisfied
    • Not exactly, but it's fine
    • Not all all, way below expectations
  2. 2. Are you happy with the Olympic Sports Programme at Paris 2024?

3. 3. Do you think the schedule at Paris 2024 is good?

6 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

The 'Big 6' European teams or 'Big 5' since Russia aren't competing, are still far ahead of you.

At the European Championships, you lost by 19 against the Netherlands and 16 against Hungary. At the World Championships, you lost by 12 against Italy. You also lost by 15 against Canada who you might be competing for a quota with.

Lose one of these games by 5 goals or less and then you can start talking about qualification. I don't mean to be rude but I've followed water polo for many, many years and trust me it is not as easy to qualify as you think, even with no Russia or African team accepting quota...

I believe you when you say it's gonna be hard and that there's a good chance that we won't qualify, but I wanna see how we develop over the next 3 years before I dismiss our chances as I genuinely believe with more funding, experience and improving players we can start seriously challenging for a quota. 

Sub Poll 

1. What were the top 3 close qualification misses (team/individual) which you regret ?

:GBR

Women's football. It was there for the taking and its a big step backward for the sport

Men's sevens. That is a really, really, difficult pill for GB Rugby to swallow.

BMX Racing, ket two genuine medal chances slip through the fingers

Dishonourable mention: Canoe sprint - what the helll has happened there?

:IRL

Sanita in the W1x, just broke yer heart

Hard to stomach so few road cyclists and no triathletes

2. Given an opportunity to add sports (not exceeding 5 sports and/or 20 events) with an athlete cap of 280 in total, what all would you chose?

ADD:

Events:

Mountain Bike Short track : extra quotas 0

Individual pursuit : extra quotas 14 (7 per event, plus 2 per nation in team pursuit, and one per nation from omnium and madison not in team pursuit)

Matchplay team golf event : extra quotas 0 (teams of 4, 2 men, 2 women, playing mens single matchplay, women single matchplay, mixed foursome matcplay over 9 holes (ties broken with one shot nearest the pin on the 10th) - sum total of 38 holes for last 16/QF/SF and medal matches.

50m in backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke : extra quotas 72

Mixed 4 x 200 medley : extra quotas 0

Sports:

Squash : events 4, MS, WS, MD, WD - extra quotas 64 (16, 16, 8 x2, 8 x 2)

Snooker: events 2, extra quotas 32 Ms, WS (16, 15)

Parkour : events 6 (Speed, Freestyle and Cage  Pursuit) extra quotas 88 (32 (16, 16), 24 (12, 12), 32 (16, 16))

(3 sport with 12 events, plus further 12 events, 270 quotas)

3. If you had the opportunity to make 3 changes(3 events/3 sports) to schedule at Paris '24 what would you do?

1. Bin breaking.

2. Bring back Karate

3. Bring back C2 slalom

3 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Sub Poll 

1. What were the top 3 close qualification misses (team/individual) which you regret ?

:GBR

Women's football. It was there for the taking and its a big step backward for the sport

Men's sevens. That is a really, really, difficult pill for GB Rugby to swallow.

BMX Racing, ket two genuine medal chances slip through the fingers

Dishonourable mention: Canoe sprint - what the helll has happened there?

:IRL

Sanita in the W1x, just broke yer heart

Hard to stomach so few road cyclists and no triathletes

2. Given an opportunity to add sports (not exceeding 5 sports and/or 20 events) with an athlete cap of 280 in total, what all would you chose?

ADD:

Events:

Mountain Bike Short track : extra quotas 0

Individual pursuit : extra quotas 14 (7 per event, plus 2 per nation in team pursuit, and one per nation from omnium and madison not in team pursuit)

Matchplay team golf event : extra quotas 0 (teams of 4, 2 men, 2 women, playing mens single matchplay, women single matchplay, mixed foursome matcplay over 9 holes (ties broken with one shot nearest the pin on the 10th) - sum total of 38 holes for last 16/QF/SF and medal matches.

50m in backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke : extra quotas 72

Mixed 4 x 200 medley : extra quotas 0

Sports:

Squash : events 4, MS, WS, MD, WD - extra quotas 64 (16, 16, 8 x2, 8 x 2)

Snooker: events 2, extra quotas 32 Ms, WS (16, 15)

Parkour : events 6 (Speed, Freestyle and Cage  Pursuit) extra quotas 88 (32 (16, 16), 24 (12, 12), 32 (16, 16))

(3 sport with 12 events, plus further 12 events, 270 quotas)

3. If you had the opportunity to make 3 changes(3 events/3 sports) to schedule at Paris '24 what would you do?

1. Bin breaking.

2. Bring back Karate

3. Bring back C2 slalom

Interesting you chose snooker over other pub sports such as darts and pool. I'm not sure snooker has the NOC depth that pool and especially darts has, which could lead to a massive drop in quality.  

36 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Interesting you chose snooker over other pub sports such as darts and pool. I'm not sure snooker has the NOC depth that pool and especially darts has, which could lead to a massive drop in quality.  

Pool over Darts for NOC range, I think. More in Asia and the Americas, certainly. 

1 minute ago, cjsavory said:

Pool over Darts for NOC range, I think. More in Asia and the Americas, certainly. 

Actually darts has a solid spread in both Americas and Asia. 

Americas: USA, Canada, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guyana, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico

Asia: Philippines, Japan, China, Thailand, Taiwan, Mongolia, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, India, Bahrain, South Korea, Hong Kong, Iran, Macau, UAE

Not sure pool has that much strength in depth. 

14 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Actually darts has a solid spread in both Americas and Asia. 

Americas: USA, Canada, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guyana, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico

Asia: Philippines, Japan, China, Thailand, Taiwan, Mongolia, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, India, Bahrain, South Korea, Hong Kong, Iran, Macau, UAE

Not sure pool has that much strength in depth. 

It's slightly selective (it's late and I'm tired!), but pool has 18 NOCs represented in the top 30 of its Men's world rankings, while darts has 7.

Darts may be growing globally, but at the top end it's still dominated by GB plus a bit of Netherlands/Germany, while you could stage a pretty elite Olympic pool tournament right now with full continental representation, spread across a lot of NOCs. 

Would like to see darts get there though - and I agree that both sports would be more suitable than snooker. 

13 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Sub Poll 

As a kiwi it’s hard to digest some of the things that were out of reach for us as a nation.

1.  3 Athletes/Team

• Beach Ferns - Lost to China in very controversial qualifiers semis match hosted in China part Beach Volleyball QF
  • Black Sticks women missed out on Hockey QF due to poor loss to USA. They are much better team than that.
  • 3 athletes narrowly missing out on spot - Taylor Reid for triathlon as we could only have 2 male go through due to team qualification and he was off by 1 rank. One of the top 2 male BMX & Mountain Biking will miss out which appears Bearman and Gaze will qualify and Bias and Cooper missing out.
    Finally no boxing QF for NZ. Many qualified athletes from Badminton, Gymnastics, Taekwondo, Archery and Table Tennis had qualified but NZOC has tough rules in regarding no tourist policy. They would only want to send athletes they see in potential top 8/16. Many ideal candidates who haven’t retired but took pro edition of their respective sports - David Nyaka in Boxing and Pete Burling & Blair Tuke 49er Sailing. 

2. Sports/Events 

• Canoe Sprint - Bring back Women’s K1- 200m. 
  • Track Cycling - Individual Pursuit - bring it back again. 
  • Squash - again LA 28 is too far
  • Mountain Biking should feature 2 x events which should include XC Short Circuit 
  • Swimming - 50m Backstroke should feature at Olympics 

3. Timing/Schedule

• Road Races should’ve been stretched away from Track Cycling which could’ve allowed 
  • Athletics starting very late. Should’ve been held in different ground not same as Rugby 7s. 
  •  Why are men’s Rugby and Football starting 3 days before the opening?

30 minutes ago, cjsavory said:

It's slightly selective (it's late and I'm tired!), but pool has 18 NOCs represented in the top 30 of its Men's world rankings, while darts has 7.

Darts may be growing globally, but at the top end it's still dominated by GB plus a bit of Netherlands/Germany, while you could stage a pretty elite Olympic pool tournament right now with full continental representation, spread across a lot of NOCs. 

Would like to see darts get there though - and I agree that both sports would be more suitable than snooker. 

While pool does have a good representation between NOC's, darts has good representation between NOC in both it's codes (PDC and WDF). The PDC has good NOC representation in it's affiliate tour, with the PDC Asian Tour having half of Asia competing in it each year. The WDF is where you find the largest range of NOC representation, with almost all of Europe and half of Asia represented. And when it comes to something like this, that's the best ranking to use as the WDF is the governing body for darts and unless there's some agreement the PDC and the WDF only the players from that ranking would be allowed to play if the sport were to make it to the Olympics. I can see both sports making it in if they put registered interest as the IOC would see them as an asset to bring in younger and newer audiences, especially with darts. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun