website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 2 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, yellowviper2001 said:

I meant specifically the Olympic Channel, which claims to cover all rounds. But it says I'm geoblocked even though no one has the rights to the tournament here (ROU). The same was true for Busto Arsizio (i.e. no rights holders for ROU), which I could watch without problems. Not sure what the problem is.

There is no stream for preliminaries and the Olympic channel confirms that too 

Speaking from the painful experience of trying to collate and report the results from the first qualifying tournament, there's no central resource for the results - so it is basically a case of relying on the individual boxing federations posting the results on their Instagram or Facebook pages. 

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Speaking from the painful experience of trying to collate and report the results from the first qualifying tournament, there's no central resource for the results - so it is basically a case of relying on the individual boxing federations posting the results on their Instagram or Facebook pages. 

At least the time difference here helps us get the official results at a better hour! 

Predictions part two (W50kg, W60kg, W75kg, M51kg, M80kg, M92kg, M92+kg)

W50kg

Qualifiers- 4

Bracket 1

My pick- Natalia Kuczewska (4) :POL.

Other Contenders- Nazym Kyzaibay (3) :KAZ, Tetyana Kob (5) :UKR, Savannah Stubley (8) :GBR.

Interesting bracket this one. Kazakhstan return to their Asian games selection Nazym Kyzaibay after Alua Balkibekova :KAZ disappointed in Busto Arsizio. Kyzaibay is a former Asian bronze medallist but I’m not that confident in her abilities. She has a tough last 32 fight against Jung Joohyung (11) :KOR who lost to Balkibekova at the first would qualifying tournament. She would then face the winner of Savannah Stubley vs 2022 world youth silver medallist Sofie Rosshaug (17) :DEN. Kyzaibay should at least reach a quota fight but I would give Stubley a legitimate shot against her. Meanwhile Tetyana Kob meets Natalia Kuczewska. Kob seems to be past her best and lost a split decision to Kuczewska in Hungary earlier this year. The winner would then face either Thi Ngoc Tran Nguyen (14) :VIE (who surprisingly got selected over world silver medallist Thi Tham Nguyen :VIE although injury may have been a factor) and Kang Su Hyang (15) :PRK who like the other North Koreans, it is unclear how good she is. If indeed we do get Kyzaibay vs Kuczewska for a ticket to Paris, I honestly have no idea who would win that one.

Bracket 2

My pick- Daina Moorehouse (1) :IRL.

Other Contenders- Rinka Kinoshita (2) :JPN.

This draw could have been worse for Daina Moorehouse but obviously drawing Rinka Kinoshita isn’t ideal. Moorehouse opens her account with Anush Grigoryan (16) :ARM before a straightforward last 16 fight. The most interesting fight early in this bracket is Tayonis Cedeno (13) :VENvs Zlatislava Chukanova (9) :BUL who are both talented but not quite good enough to make the Olympics. The winner would then face Rinka Kinoshita. For me Kinoshita and Moorehouse are the two strongest boxers here in this weightclass and they should produce a cracking fight. Kinoshita does start with a significant height and reach advantage but having fallen agonisingly short at the two previous qualifying tournaments I’ll back Moorehouse to get over the line here.

Bracket 3

My pick- Phila Kaivo Oja (6) :FIN.

Other Contenders- Guo Yi Xuan (20) :TPE, Zainab Adeshina (21) :NGR.

Pilha Kaivo Oja might well have gotten the best draw of anyone at this tournament. Her only challenges come against Guo Yi Xuan in the last 32 and then either recent African silver medallist Zainab Adeshina or Marjona Savrieva (25) :AZE in the subsequent qualifying match. Kaivo Oja hasn’t yet won a fight at either of the qualifying tournaments so far but should comfortably win the quota here.

Bracket 4

My pick- Aldana Florencia Lopez (7) :ARG.

Other Contenders- Nina Radovanovic (10) :SRB, Susan Aguas (12) :ECU.

The bottom two brackets in this draw really aren’t very strong but I guess it is good to see two relatively smaller boxing countries have a great chance of qualifying. Aldana Florencia Lopez at least has a couple of potential hurdles opening her account against Mckenzie Wright (19) :CAN before meeting Olympian and European bronze medallist Nina Radovanovic in the last 16. The other half of the bracket will likely be decided by a last 16 fight between Susan Aguas and Fatima Herrera (18) :MEX both of whom Florencia Lopez should be much too good for.

Quota predictions- Natalia Kuczewska :POL, Daina Moorehouse :IRL, Pihla Kaivo Oja :FIN, Aldana Florencia Lopez :ARG.

W60kg

Qualifiers- 3

Bracket 1

My pick- Namuun Monkhor (2) :MGL.

Other Contenders- Rimma Volossenko (4) :KAZ, Agnes Alexiusson (5) :SWE, Ankushita Boro (8) :IND, Felicitas Ganglbauer (9) :GER.

Unsurprisingly given this weightclass has already allocated the most quotas so far, this division is a little barren at this tournament although I am still a little bit surprised that there are only 30 entries and there is a serious lack of depth beyond the top 10 or so. Then again this top bracket is quite strong with a number of interesting fights. Agnes Alexiusson should cruise to the quarter finals with Rashida Tagirova (23) :UZB the only potential resistance. Two intriguing fights on the other side of the draw sees Felicitas Ganglbauer meet Rimma Volossenko and Namuun Monkhor meet Ankushita who has moved down from 66kg. While there is certainly potential for upsets in both fights I would expect Volossenko and Monkhor to meet in the last 16. Volossenko did win this matchup when they met 3 years ago but Monkhor’s recent form is I think more impressive although I may be overthinking that a bit. Both Monkhor and Volossenko have beaten Alexiusson and therefore should go on to make the semifinals.

Bracket 2

My pick-Miroslava Jedinakova (3) :SVK.

Other Contenders- Ayaka Taguchi (10) :JPN, Sara Beram (12) :CRO.

This bracket is a little bit more straightforward with Ayaka Taguchi and Sara Beram replaying a fight from Busto Arsizio which Taguchi won on that occasion. The winner would then face Miroslava Jedinakova who was the unfortunate boxer who made the semis but missed out on a quota at the first world qualifier. A last 16 fight between Camila Pineiro (18) :URU and Ana Starovoitova (20) :LTU should decide who Jedinakova would then face in the quarter finals and both would be much easier to beat than Taguchi or Beram.

Bracket 3

My pick- Vilma Viitanen (7) :FIN.

Other Contenders- Loredana Marin (11) :ROU, Shoira Zulkaynarova (13) :TJK, Vladislva Kukhta (14) :HUN, Anna Jenni (15) :SUI, Hanna Okhrei (17) :UKR.

Well well, what a selection of mediocrity. Vilma Viitanen made the surprising decision to move up to Lightweight for the final qualifier although given this draw that decision may pay off for her. Her last 16 fight will be against either Shoira Zulkaynarova who is coming down from the other direction weight wise and may pose a threat physically or Hanna Okhrei. On the other side of the bracket Loredana Marin faces Vladislava Kukhta in what to be fair is an interesting fight with Anna Julia Jenni awaiting the winner provided she can beat Klaudia Budasz (22) :POL. I would expect this quarter final to end up being Viitanen vs either Marin or Kukhta.

Bracket 4

My pick-Amy Broadhurst (1) :GBR. (That just looks wrong)

Other Contenders- Oh Yeonji (6) :KOR (I mean not really but I feel like I should put someone here).

So Amy Broadhurst’s (from now on will be referred to as the traitor) defection to the Brits has made this division much more interesting from an Olympic medal perspective and she should not have any trouble qualifying from this tournament. I thought the traitor would have been the favourite for gold in this division had Ireland picked her over Kellie Harrington :IRL so I don't really see how I can not still think that just because she is representing the most despicable country of all. She unfortunately is probably going to save British boxing funding because their other medal chances are slim (I'm sure GB boxing will claim credit for Cindy Ngamba :IOC as well if she makes the podium.). Anyhow, The traitor meets Sheila Martinez (21) :ESP followed by Aslahan Mehmedova (16) :BUL or Terris Smith (24) :CAN in what will both be very one sided fights. Meanwhile Oh Yeonji should beat Tokyo Olympian Esmeralda Falcon (19) :MEX but is unlikely to trouble the traitor.

Box-offs

Namuun Monkhor vs Miroslava Jedinakova, Vilma Viitanen vs the traitor.

I’m not sure who wins between Monkhor and Jedinakova but I’ll lean Monkhor although I would back either to then beat Viitanen.

Projected qualifiers- Namuun Monkhor :MGL, Amy Broadhurst :GBR, Miroslava Jedinakova :SVK.

W75kg

Qualifiers- 4

Bracket 1

My pick- Busra Isildar (3) :TUR.

Other Contenders- Rady Gramane (9) :MOZ, Baison Manikon (8) :THA.

All of the top boxers have already qualified in this weight class which has lead to a number of quite open brackets for this tournament. Recent European medallist Busra Isildar will meet Melissa Gemini (16) :ITA in the last 16 for a spot in the qualifying fight. 2022 world bronze medallist Rady Gramane will meet an opponent she beat at that tournament in Seong Su Yeon (10) :KOR. She would then face either hometown hopeful Baison Manikon or Gabriele Stonkute (14) :LTU. I think Isildar is the more talented and should qualify but Gramane is more proven.

Bracket 2

My pick- Love Holgersson (4) :SWE.

Other Contenders- Veronika Nakota (6) :HUN, Aziza Zokirova (7) :UZB.

Another open bracket pitting the experienced Love Holgersson against the 2022 70kg world youth finalists Veronika Nakota (gold) and Aziza Zokirova (silver). Holgersson meets Nakota first before facing Hergie Bacyadan (17) :PHI if she can win against Nakota. Aziza Zokirova only needs to beat Maryelis Yriza (20) :VEN to reach the quarter finals. I’m picking the experience over the youth as I think it is slightly too soon for Nakota or Zokirova but if things fully click for either of them, Holgersson is eminently beatable.

Bracket 3

My pick- Valentina Khalzova (2) :KAZ.

Other Contenders- Karolina Makhno (13) :UKR, Shirleidis Orozco (12) :COL.

Once again a fairly open and somewhat difficult to project bracket. Straight off the bat Valentina Khalzova meets Karolina Makhno with the more established Kazakh having the more impressive recent form. Shirleidis Orozco is a newcomer to the Colombian squad and is seemingly the pick of the bottom half of this bracket although she will have to conquer Monika Langerova (19) :CZE or Ornella Sathoud (22) :GHA. It would be a big shock if Orozco went on to beat Khalzova though.

Bracket 4

My pick- Citlalli Ortiz (5) :MEX

Other Contenders- Naomi Graham (1) :USA, Patricis Mbata (11) :NGR.

Another interesting bracket in what seems to have been a very even draw in this weight class. Former world medallist Naomi Graham looks past her best and doesn’t have the easiest of openers against Viviane Pereira (15) :BRA followed by an equally tricky fight against Patricia Mbata. If Graham can refind her form somewhat and win those first two fights she would then meet Citlalli Ortiz assuming Irina Schonberger (18) :GER or Elizabeth Andiego (21) :KEN don’t cause an upset. Citlalli Ortiz upset the form guide by comfortably beating Graham at Panam games but she hasn't backed that level up with her performances since. It is possible Graham could avenge that result but given the margin of victory on that occasion I don’t think Graham is making it back to the Olympics.

Projected qualifiers-Busra Isildar :TUR, Love Holgersson :SWE, Valentina Khalzova :KAZ, Citlalli Ortiz :MEX.

M51kg

Qualifiers- 4

Bracket 1

My pick- Rogen Ladon (5) :PHI.

Other Contenders- Federico Serra (6) :ITA, So Chonryong (9) :PRK, Rafael Lozano (13) :ESP, Azat Makhmetov (14) :BRN.

This should be a competitive bracket with numerous interesting fights. In the opening round we will see Federico Serra face Luis Delgado (16) :ECU and Rogen Ladon faces World youth and European bronze medallist Rafael Lozano son of two time Olympic medallist of the same name who replaces the out of form Martin Molina :ESP. Ladon and Serra should come through creating a rematch of their fight at the first world qualifying tournament where Ladon came out on top. The other half of the bracket sees a rematch from Asian games with So Chonryong who went on to win bronze meeting Azat Makhmetov. So could cause an upset in the quota fight but I will back the much more experienced Ladon

Bracket 2

My pick- Roscoe Hill (2) :USA.

Other Contenders- Yuberjen Martinez (3) :COL.

Another rematch with Roscoe Hill meeting Yuberjen Martinez who he beat in the quarter finals at Panam games. Martinez was desperately unlucky to not get the decision against Alejandro Claro :CUB at the first world qualifier and given Hill’s shaky form he absolutely has a shot here. The winner of that fight would then face Huthaifa Eshish (25) :JOR or Ergunyal Sebahtin (18) :BUL for a spot in the quarter final. I’m happy with this draw for Sean Mari (20) :IRL given he was never likely to qualify and he at least gets a couple of easy fights before meeting Gan-erdene Gankhuyag (26) :MGL for a spot in the quota fight. Roscoe Hill or Martinez would be massive favourites but Hill has bottled two quota fights in which he was favoured already so you never know.

Bracket 3

My pick- Mahdi Parvizi (7) :IRI.

Other Contenders- Salah Ibrahim (12) :GER, Dmytro Zamotayev (11) :UKR, Ramon Nicanor Quiroga (15) :ARG.

By far the most open bracket in this draw with a lot of potential scenarios here. Dmytro Zamotayev is probably the most established boxer in this bracket and he opens his account against Mohamed Moziane (29) :ALG before a tough fight against Ramon Nicanor Quiroga. He would then face either David de Pina (31) :CPV or Omer Ametovic (30) :SRB for a spot in the quarter final. Meanwhile the top of this bracket sees Salah Ibrahim meet Mahdi Parvizi who is very inexperienced but took a couple of impressive wins at the great silk way tournament in Azerbaijan a couple of months ago. The winner of that fight would then meet Hamza Esaadi (24) :MAR for a place in the quarter final. In a bracket lacking top class boxers I am going to back the potential of Parvizi but if it does end up coming down to the more established European boxers, Zamotayev has beaten Ibrahim in the past.

Bracket 4

My pick- Amit Panghal (1) :IND.

Other Contenders- Kiaran Macdonald (4) :GBR.

After Deepak :IND underperformed at the previous qualifiers India return to their 2019 world silver medallist Amit Panghal. His first fight will likely be against Mauricio Ruiz. Kiaran MacDonald is a very good boxer but unfortunately the draw has just not broken his way at any of these qualifying tournaments and he will likely miss the Olympics despite only losing to major medal contenders. MacDonald has a tricky opening fight against Kim Inkyu (10) :KOR to set up a last 16 fight with Amit. Attila Bernath (8) :HUN is the favourite to meet Amit in that quarter final but an array of boxers with the potential to cause an upset including Theophilus Allotey (21) :GHA, Anvarzhan Khodzhiev (23) :KGZand one of Ala Eddine Zidi (19) :TUN, Baresham Harutyunyan (22) :ARMand newcomer Chunag Liu (28) :CHN lie in Bernath’s path.

Projected Qualifiers- Rogen Ladon :PHI, Roscoe Hill :USA, Mehdi Parvizi :IRI, Amit Panghal :IND.

M80kg

Qualifiers- 3

Bracket 1

My pick-Kelyn Cassidy (1) :IRL

Other Contenders- Christian Pinales (2) :DOM, Juan Ortiz (10) :COL.

So surprisingly no 2021 world silver medallist Aleksei Alfiorau :BLR so Kelyn Cassidy inherits the top placed ranking for this draw. The draw isn’t terrible but it could have been a lot better for Cassidy with a tricky enough opening round fight against Delil Dadaev (20) :GER followed by either Kristyan Nikolov (26) :BUL or youngster Abhimanyu Loura (22) :IND before a meeting with Olympian Gazi Jalidov (13) :ESP. On the other side of the bracket Christian Pinales returns after missing the first world qualifier and should comfortably make the last 16 where he will meet Juan Ortiz who impressed at the first qualifier but is unlikely to beat Pinales. Cassidy vs Pinales should be a cracking fight but I do think Cassidy’s counterpunching abilities should allow him to prevail but make no mistake Pinales is a very good boxer.

Bracket 2

My pick- Rafayel Hovhannisyan (5) :ARM

Other Contenders- Kim Jin Jea (14) :KOR, Meysam Geshalghi (15) :IRI.

A much weaker bracket than the top one and as a result there is a quota that is there for the taking. Meysam Geshlaghi and Kim Jin Jea will meet first up which would have been a great fight to see as it may have set a record for most punches thrown in a fight with both boxers very willing to just stand and throw. The winner will face Sebastien Terteryan (24) :DEN who is attempting to join is twin brother Nicolai :DEN in Paris but as such is competing way above his natural weight and Geshlaghi or Kim are not the type of opponent Terteryan would have wanted to see. The victor of that fight would then face Ganzorig Dalai (29) :MGL or recent 75kg African champion Edwin Okongo’O (33) :KEN for a spot in the quarter final. The other side of the draw is fairly straightforward for 2022 86kg European silver medallist Rafayel Hovhannisyan whose toughest early fight will be in the last 16 against either Keven Beausejour (21) :CAN who he beat last time or Go Wakaya (18) :JPN. Hovhannisyan is the safest pick here and if he could then get over the line this would somewhat redeem what has been a terrible qualification campaign for Armenia.

Bracket 3

My pick- Hussein Iashaish (4) :JOR.

Other Contenders- Yojerlin Cesar (6) :FRA, Gradus Kraus (12) :NED.

2022 Asian champion and two time Olympian Hussein Iashaish is in a strong position to at least make the semis. Noa Hadjit (38) :BEL and either Nekruz Salimov (25) :TJK or Andrei Aradoaie (19) :ROU are Iashaish’s early matchups and none of them should trouble him. At the top of this draw  recent European bronze medallist Yojerlin Cesar meets Taj Kagho (27) :NZL and Hector Aguirre (28) :MEX to set up a likely last 16 fight with Gradus Kraus. That fight will be an interesting style mismatch with the technician Cesar up against the bruiser in Kraus. Kraus rarely wins these type of fights though. Iashaish will be severely tested by Cesar but I will back the more experienced individual and go with Iashaish

Bracket 4

My pick- Robby Gonzalez (3) :USA.

Other Contenders- Ramtin Musah (7) :GBR, Vladimir Mironchikov (8) :SRB, Mindaugas Gediminas (9) :NOR, Omurbek Bekzhigit Uulu (11) :KGZ.

It is last chance saloon for 2021 world champion Robby Gonzales. He should meet a boxer he beat on his way to that world title in bronze medallist Vladimir Mironchikov in the last 32 provided Mironchikov can beat home boxer Weerapon Jongjoho. Joining him in the last 16 will be either Andrej Csemez (16) :SVK who beat him in Busto Arsizio, Omurbek Bekzhigit Uulu who also was beaten by Gonzales at 2021 worlds or Ramtin Musah who is a quality boxer and replaces Taylor Bevan :GBR after Bevan’s disappointing first world qualifier. Musah is probably the strongest of the 3 and given Gonzales’ dodgy form I wouldn’t be surprised if Musah then beat Gonzales although Gonzales did beat him when they met last year. At the top of this bracket Mindaugas Gediminas has to navigate matchups with Erik Mendoza (31) :SWE, Yusuf Changalawe (34) :TAN and African champion Peter Pita (23) :COD to reach the quarter finals where he is unlikely to beat Gonzales.

Box offs

Kelyn Cassidy vs Rafayel Hovhannisyan, Hussein Iashaish vs Robby Gonzales

Cassidy Hovhannisyan would be a rematch of a fight from the first world tournament where Cassidy won comfortably and if Cassidy does lose it will be before this point. Similarly if Gonzales gets this far he will qualify. That would leave Hussein Iashaish facing Rafayel Hovhannisyan who similar to Yojerlin Cesar I would like to back Hovhannisyan but I think Iashaish’s experience should prevail.

Predicted Quotas- Kelyn Cassidy :IRL, Robby Gonzales :USA and Hussein Iashaish :JOR.

M92kg

Qualifiers- 4

Bracket 1

My pick- Narek Manasyan (3) :ARM.

Other Contenders- Sadam Magomedov (8) :SRB, Soheb Bouafia (10) :FRA.

Interesting bracket to start with multi time European medallist starting as slight favourite. He will meet Odai Al Hindawi (18) :JOR or the awkward Victor Schelstraete (14) :BEL in the last 16. Meanwhile recent European medallist Sadam Magomedov opens his account against Nyamdorj Otgonbold (29) :MGL or German based Noori Silab (22) :AFG. Soheb Bouafia has to come through Jung Ha Neul (25) :KOR and Serhii Horskov (23) :UKR to meet Magomedov in the last 16. All three of Manasyan, Magomedov and Bouafia will believe they should take this quota albeit Bouafia has lost to the other two. Magomedov’s win over Bouafia was a split decision win in Serbia so I’m not sure it actually means much in this context. I think Manasyan is the favourite here but in 3 attempts going back to Tokyo qualification he has never quite managed to get over the line and reach the Olympics despite his talent and that potential fight with Schelstraete would make me very nervous.

Bracket 2

My pick- Mateusz Bereznicki (9) :POL

Other Contenders- Murcahit Ilyas (12) :TUR, Adrian Paoletti (16) :AUS, Alexander Okafor (17) :GER.

We lack a clear favourite in this weightclass and there are numerous potential outcomes here. Mateusz Bereznicki off the back of an impressive performance at the 1st world qualifier opens up with a very tough fight against Adrian Paoletti who has a legitimate chance to qualify all 13 weight classes for Australia. The winner of that fight would then meet Peter Alwanga (31) :KEN followed by Alexander Okafor who has had some bad losses of late. On the bottom half of this bracket Murcahit Ilyas makes his return to the Turkish squad after an extended absence. He has two tricky fights between him and the quota fight probably against Yan Zak (21) :ISR and Daniel Guzman (20) :DOM. Bereznicki has reached quota fights at both of the previous qualifying tournaments so he seems like the reliable pick to qualify but I’m not sure about this particular one.

Bracket 3

My pick- Loren Alfonso Dominguez (5) :AZE.

Other Contenders- Julio Castillo (4) :ECU.

The veteran Julio Castillo has one last shot at making his fourth Olympics and while the draw could have been kinder its not too bad. He starts off with David Michalek (28) :SVK before meeting Erkin Adylbek Uulu (19) :KGZ followed by Marlon Hurtado who he has beaten before and as such Castillo should expect to at least reach the quota stage. Loren Alfonso Dominguez has a similar path difficulty wise meeting Johnathan Tetteh (27) :UGA, Marko Calic (15) :CRO and Sanjeet (13) :IND on his way to probably meeting Castillo. Alfonso probably is the more talented boxer and while I hope Castillo can get over the line I will reluctantly pick the Tokyo 81kg medallist.

Bracket 4

My pick- Georgi Kushitashvili (1) :GEO.

Other Contenders- Jamar Talley (2) :USA, Rogelio Romero (6) :MEX, Vagkan Nanitzanian (7) :GRE.

None of the first 3 brackets were that strong and sure enough the last bracket is nightmarish. Jamar Talley has a straightforward path to the quarter finals with just the unknown Ali Fathigovashini (26) :IRI and probably Regarn Simbwa (24) :UGA in his path. Meanwhile Vagkan Nanitzanian meets Rogelio Romero in a heavyweight (hahaha I’m so funny :facepalm:) last 32 fight before the winner meets Georgi Kushitashvili who has looked much better at 92kg winning Strandja and only losing to Lazizbek Mullojonov in Busto Arsizio than he did at 80kg at European games. Kushitashvili has beaten Nanitzanian twice already this year and I suspect would also beat Romero. I would give Jamar Talley a legitimate shot at beating Kushitashvili though and whoever wins that fight will be a medal contender in Paris.

Projected qualifiers- Narek Manasyan :ARM, Mateusz Bereznicki :POL, Loren Alfonso Dominguez :AZE, Georgi Kushitashvili :GEO.

M92+kg

Qualifiers- 4

Bracket 1

My pick- Fernando Arzola (2) :CUB.

Other Contenders- Narendar (12) :IND, Gerlon Congo (13) :ECU.

Fernando Arzola has been very flaky since winning silver at 2023 worlds but the draw has seemingly been kind to him here. He opens up against Javier Cruz (22) :MEX before meeting Byeknur Khali (30) :MGL for a spot in the qualifying fight. Narendar and Gerlon Congo have a fascinating opening encounter with Narendar having won this matchup on a split decision when they met last year. Whoever wins would then face either Gilbert Kabamba (23) :COD, Willys Mendoza (16?) :COL or Younes Bouhdid (28) :MAR. Mendoza is a strange one as he replaces Christian Salcedo who would have been one of the strongest boxers in this division at this tournament and I can’t find anything on him, no results, no nothing so :dunno:. Anyway the likely scenario is that we end up with Arzola fighting Narendar for a quota with Arzola having won this matchup comfortably before.

Bracket 2

My pick- Davit Chaloyan (7) :ARM.

Other Contenders- Petar Belberov (8) :BUL, Danis Latypov (10) :BRN, Martin McDonagh (11) :IRL.

I’ve think I’ve picked Davit Chaloyan to qualify twice before but hopefully third times the charm. He has a tough fight first up against the experienced Danis Latypov before facing Rouzbeh Safari (17) :IRI or Keddy Agnes (22) :SEY if he can come through Latypov. Meanwhile veteran Petar Belberov who replaces Yordan Hernandez :BUL (with the two Bulgarians having beaten and lost to eachother this year) meets the improving Martin McDonagh in the last 16. This should end up being Chaloyan vs Belberov in which case you would have to trust Chaloyan but an upset in this bracket wouldn’t shock me.

Bracket 3

My pick- Danabieke Bayikewuzi (1) :CHN

Other Contenders- Ayoub Ghadfa Drissi El Aissaoui (3) :ESP, Dusan Veletic (4) :SRB, Ahmed Hagag (6) :AUT.

Danabieke Bayikewuzi was denied qualification in Italy by a cut and should start off here with a win against Jonas Jazevicius (19) :LTU. I don’t know where Ahmed Hagag has been so far during qualification but anyway he is here now and meets Dusan Veletic in a high quality fight. Veletic beat him at European champs with the potential caveat that those championships were in Serbia. Veletic vs Bayikewuzi should be a fascinating fight in the last 16 but I would lean towards backing the Chinese boxer. Recent European champion (beating Veletic in the final) Ayoub Ghadfa Drissi El Aissaoui has an easier path to the quarter finals meeting Doni Foreman (24) :CAN(what happened to Alexis Barriere?) and probably Muhammad Abroridinov (20) :TJK. It would have been very surprising at the start of qualification if either of Ghadfa Drissi El Aissaoui or Bayikewuzi missed out but at least one of them will now.

Bracket 4

My pick- Luka Pratljacic (5) :CRO.

Other Contenders- Dmytro Lovchynskyi (9) :UKR, Ifeanyi Onyekwere (14) :NGR.

This should be European bronze medalist Luka Pratljacic’s quota to lose. He meets Mark Ahondjo (31) :GHA or Kennedy St. Pierre (27) :MRI in his first fight before meeting the winner of Dmytro Lovchynskyi vs African champion Ifeanyi Onyekwere. That fight will be Pratljacic’s toughest as he would then meet has been Nigel Paul (15) :TTO or world youth bronze medallist Stylianos Roulias (18) :GRE for an Olympic spot.

Projected qualifiers- Fernando Arzola :CUB, Davit Chaloyan :ARM, Danabieke Bayikewuzi :CHN, Luka Pratljacic :CRO.

Rank (Total)  Country Projected qualifiers Already qualified Projected Total 
2 Ireland 5 6 11
5 USA 3 6 9
9 Great Britain and NI 3 5 8
13 India 3 3 6
13 Poland 3 3 6
5 Kazakhstan 2 7 9
5 China  2 7 9
5 Turkey 2 7 9
13 Cuba 2 4 6
17 Philippines 2 3 5
17 Tajikistan 2 3 5
24 Mongolia 2 1 3
32 Armenia 2 0 2
2 Brazil 1 10 11
12 Thailand 1 6 7
13 Chinese Taipei  1 5 6
21 Serbia 1 3 4
21 Azerbaijan 1 3 4
24 Japan 1 2 3
24 Mexico 1 2 3
32 Ukraine 1 1 2
32 Croatia 1 1 2
32 Georgia 1 1 2
32 Sweden 1 1 2
32 Jordan 1 1 2
32 Netherlands 1 1 2
49 South Korea 1 0 1
49 Argentina 1 0 1
49 Finland 1 0 1
49 Iran 1 0 1
49 Slovakia 1 0 1
1 Australia  0 12 12
4 Uzbekistan 0 10 10
9 France 0 8 8
9 Italy 0 8 8
17 Colombia 0 5 5
17 Algeria 0 5 5
21 Bulgaria 0 4 4
24 Spain 0 3 3
24 Egypt 0 3 3
24 Morocco 0 3 3
24 Nigeria 0 3 3
24 Hungary 0 3 3
32 Dominican Republic 0 2 2
32 Belgium 0 2 2
32 Canada 0 2 2
32 Ecuador 0 2 2
32 North Korea 0 2 2
32 Puerto Rico 0 2 2
32 Venezuela 0 2 2
32 Germany 0 2 2
32 Norway 0 2 2
32 Refugee team  0 2 2
49 Vietnam 0 1 1
49 Denmark 0 1 1
49 DR Congo 0 1 1
49 Mozambique 0 1 1
49 Panama 0 1 1
49 Romania 0 1 1
49 Samoa 0 1 1
49 Tunisia 0 1 1
49 Zambia 0 1 1
49 Kosovo 0 1 1

Apologies for the weird looking table but hopefully it makes sense. I wanted to include the number of boxers in contention per country as well but I ran out of time. I have Ireland having an amazing tournament but that is very much the upper threshold for Ireland's potential here. Ireland, GB, India, Poland and USA all look likely to have good tournaments here but to varying extents that is a reflection of previous dissapointing tournament(s). Japan, Bulgaria and maybe Mongolia stand out amongst those who may be dissapointed with results here if this scenario plays out but I haven't looked at this too closely yet and obviously its just a projection which even if things go well won't prove remotely accurate.