website statistics

Beach Volleyball at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

2 hours ago, Josh said:

:NED Immers/VDV beat :CHI the Grimalts :facepalm::hairpull::whistle::sick:

And Reddit goes quiet :d 

Read a very interesting, honest and open-hearted interview with him from a few years ago btw, but that's not goign to make the Reddit "he's a predator!!!" screamers scream any less.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

And Reddit goes quiet :d 

Read a very interesting, honest and open-hearted interview with him from a few years ago btw, but that's not goign to make the Reddit "he's a predator!!!" screamers scream any less.

I mean Reddit is, well Reddit… :d

They’re not wrong though, what he did was disgusting, and deserves a bigger punishment for what he did than what he actually got. I mean, 1 year is ridiculously light. I think he’s remorseful for what he did and I don’t think he’ll ever do it again (at least hopefully not) but that doesn’t excuse that he did do it. 

Nothing against you guys personally of course, I’ve noticed that the only people going lighter on him with the replies are Dutch. Coincidence? Probably not. 

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I mean Reddit is, well Reddit… :d

They’re not wrong though, what he did was disgusting, and deserves a bigger punishment for what he did than what he actually got. I mean, 1 year is ridiculously light. I think he’s remorseful for what he did and I don’t think he’ll ever do it again (at least hopefully not) but that doesn’t excuse that he did do it. 

Nothing against you guys personally of course, I’ve noticed that the only people going lighter on him with the replies are Dutch. Coincidence? Probably not. 

It's not coincidence, it's because things like that interview are in Dutch and so other people only see each other yelling "child rapist!" and that's that, they have an image in mind of someone who pulls every random kid into the bushes. Which is just not at all the case (despite what he did obviously being wrong, that should not need to be stated all the time, but to avoid confusing, I'll do it anyway).

In for example the main interview, which he really needed to be convinced to do, he could absolutely not have made it clearer that what he did was absolutely, in every possible way 100% his responsibility and something he should absolutely never have done. She started talking to him online, saying she was 2-3 years younger than him, they slowly built a kind of relationship as people do, but he failed to stop things when she confessed her real age. He strongly comes across as someone who isn't necessarily remorseful because of the consequences for his own life, but because of the consequences for her life (when they stayed in touch afterwards - not on his own initiative, by the way - he made it abundantly clear that he should never have done that and that none of it was in any way her 'fault', which is obvious, but still important, even long before law enforcement was involved).

Again, everyone understands that what he did was in every way wrong, but it is somewhat frustrating to see people not even willing to read what he has to say. Simply opening up like that in an interview and taking the full 100% responsibility and blame (as he should, but lots of people wouldn't) instead of hiding away forever does show, for me at least, that he is not an evil person. He is someone who made a massive mistake, not a serial child predator or something.

And, again: no, that does not 'normalise' what he did. At all.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Again, everyone understands that what he did was in every way wrong, but it is somewhat frustrating to see people not even willing to read what he has to say. Simply opening up like that in an interview and taking the full 100% responsibility and blame (as he should, but lots of people wouldn't) instead of hiding away forever does show, for me at least, that he is not an evil person. He is someone who made a massive mistake, not a serial child predator or something.

You’re missing the point. The whole hate is mostly because of him not suffering any real consequences of his actions as he was released from jail very quickly. And now after not serving any real sentence we’re supposed to cheer while he’s playing beach volleyball like nothing happened, in one of the biggest sporting events in the world? 

If he was truly remorseful, he would’ve pulled out of the Olympics after all that backlash. He didn't, so now he’s dealing with all the well-deserved hate while also bringing shame to the Netherlands for even allowing him to compete at all. 

I enjoy watching beach volleyball so I’m trying to look past it. But can’t blame people for acting this way toward him, I mean, we are talking about a literal child rapist.

Just my 2 cents since I’m kinda shocked you’re bringing this up like this but I’m not gonna discuss it more

5 hours ago, diable said:

And now after not serving any real sentence we’re supposed to cheer while he’s playing beach volleyball like nothing happened,

Nope, nobody says you're supposed to cheer. I'm also not cheering, and absolutely nobody is acting like nothing happened. In the first place he himself never acted like such, and most certainly people around him and inside the world of volleyball never acted like that.

This has been a thing for years by the way, he's been playing on the world tour for years (meaning his opponents aren't suddenly going to be shocked or something, everyone from every country in the sport has been aware of this for years), and now 'journalists' and some Reddit screamers come crawling out of their holes they hide in for years, because now it's the Olympics.

It is interesting we for example barely saw this backlash when a literal convicted terrorist was competing at the Paralympics, or do we need to rate one crime worse than the other and allow people who committed one crime and not those who committed another?

But yeah, there is no point in discussing it more: like I said before, if you're not saying "he is the worst person ever", people will say you normalise what he did or think it's fine. Which literally nobody does, but alright.