website statistics

Team GB at 2024 Olympic Qualifier Series Road to Paris 2024

23 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

If thinks stay as they are in the rankings, the following athletes get a quota via continental and worlds: 

:AUS Diehm (Continental Quota) 

:RSA (Continental Quota) 

:GER Muller (2022 Worlds)

:GBR Worthington (2022 Worlds) 

:COL Villegas Serna (2023 Worlds)

The :CZE athlete will drop out of the rankings because she's not here, but she'll take a Worlds spot either way so if one of the above can overtake her then it doesn't affect anything. :GBR Pardoe is currently 1st reserve from 2023 Worlds, but I reckon she'll take a spot as it's quite likely :RSA don't accept their continental quota (:RSA don't tend to accept continental quotas that are so low ranked). 

Another way Pardoe can get a quota without having to rely on :RSA rejection is for :USA Bernegas to drop out of the rankings and exactly 1 of the Worthington, Muller and Villegas Serna along with Diehm take her and the :CZE athlete's place as it would mean an extra spot would open up for Pardoe through 2023 Worlds at the expense of Bernegas.   

Didn't they change the wording of the qualifying document earlier this year so that the 2023 World Champ quotas are reallocated to NOCs that haven't already qualified? That would suggest that assuming Worthington qualifies, then Pardoe wouldn't be eligible for quota reallocation?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Didn't they change the wording of the qualifying document earlier this year so that the 2023 World Champ quotas are reallocated to NOCs that haven't already qualified? That would suggest that assuming Worthington qualifies, then Pardoe wouldn't be eligible for quota reallocation?

No you are right. Pretty stupid rule considering it's a sport dominated by a few countries, so you'd really be scrapping the barrel for the last couple of spaces. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

17 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

No you are right. Pretty stupid rule considering it's a sport dominated by a few countries, so you'd really be scrapping the barrel for the last couple of spaces. 

The BMX Freestyle qualification process was always one of the worst structured documents but it's pretty disappointing that they are allowed to change the qualification pathways when the qualifying process has already kicked off. 

12 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The BMX Freestyle qualification process was always one of the worst structured documents but it's pretty disappointing that they are allowed to change the qualification pathways when the qualifying process has already kicked off. 

Yeah unless there's some sort of technicality that affects athletes of all countries then the quali systems shouldn't change, in this instance it's a big punch in the face to the likes of :GBR and :GER who could be short changed out of an athlete. 

Good start for Jones and Hessey in qualifying. At the half way point, they are sitting on top of the table and should both make it through to the final. Jones pretty much matched his qualifying score from Shanghai with 83.32 whilst Hessey was down a little at 82.01 (compared to 87.29 in Shanghai) 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Good start for Jones and Hessey in qualifying. At the half way point, they are sitting on top of the table and should both make it through to the final. Jones pretty much matched his qualifying score from Shanghai with 83.32 whilst Hessey was down a little at 82.01 (compared to 87.29 in Shanghai) 

Story sof far:

Curate's egg.

At the end of BMX freestyle Qualification, GBR are in excellent shape for 2 Men's Park spots in BMX freestyle. The big loser this AM was Logan Martin, Australia who came in 2nd and is gong to leave empty handed , Reilly and Jones effectively now 2nd and 3rd going into the final, and both with a handy buffer over the 7th placed rider overall, would take a VERY random set of results to deny them both now, especially with a third Brit as a back up. In women's freestyle, Worthington is not mathematically safe, but she is more or less in on World Champs placement at worst, again, would take a bizarrely random set of results to eliminate her, and it's not realistic. Pardoe, sadly, is gone.

In Skateboard Park, Sky Brown and Lola Tambling are comfortably in come what may. Lily Strachan is agonisingly going to be first reserve, although a Brazillian, Ameriican or Japanese withdrawing is no good for her. In Men's Street, Hinson is out. In Men's Park the wrong Brit scraped through to the next round; Calvert was rather closer to a spot, and McDonald, who scraped through in 16th, is going to need a significant result to squeeze into the top 20 overall.

Boulder and Lead : McNeice is almost there already already guaranteed solid points here to go with her fabulous Shanghai effort, and Thompson Smith and McArthur look pretty well placed to build on their strong shanghai outing.

Breaking has not yet begun, and I will not be giving a tinker's about it when it does! It offends my dignity to refer to any professional olympic athlete as a B-boy, (I'm not even happy referring to triathlon athletes who are clearly domestiques as 'pilots', frankly) so I'm afraid someone else will have to keep us up to date on B-Boy shakeyabooty and B-Girl Farmersmarket.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

Thanks for the detailed update ! I’m not that familiar with these sports but useful to be kept up to date with the battle for final quotas 

21 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Story sof far:

Curate's egg.

At the end of BMX freestyle Qualification, GBR are in excellent shape for 2 Men's Park spots in BMX freestyle. The big loser this AM was Logan Martin, Australia who came in 2nd and is gong to leave empty handed , Reilly and Jones effectively now 2nd and 3rd going into the final, and both with a handy buffer over the 7th placed rider overall, would take a VERY random set of results to deny them both now, especially with a third Brit as a back up. In women's freestyle, Worthington is not mathematically safe, but she is more or less in on World Champs placement at worst, again, would take a bizarrely random set of results to eliminate her, and it's not realistic. Pardoe, sadly, is gone.

In Skateboard Park, Sky Brown and Lola Tambling are comfortably in come what may. Lily Strachan is agonisingly going to be first reserve, although a Brazillian, Ameriican or Japanese withdrawing is no good for her. In Men's Street, Hinson is out. In Men's Park the wrong Brit scraped through to the next round; Calvert was rather closer to a spot, and McDonald, who scraped through in 16th, is going to need a significant result to squeeze into the top 20 overall.

Boulder and Lead : McNeice is almost there already already guaranteed solid points here to go with her fabulous Shanghai effort, and Thompson Smith and McArthur look pretty well placed to build on their strong shanghai outing.

Breaking has not yet begun, and I will not be giving a tinker's about it when it does! It offends my dignity to refer to any professional olympic athlete as a B-boy, (I'm not even happy referring to triathlon athletes who are clearly domestiques as 'pilots', frankly) so I'm afraid someone else will have to keep us up to date on B-Boy shakeyabooty and B-Girl Farmersmarket.

Sadly I think today's result means Jude Jones will finish in 7th, one shy of a quota place... 

4 minutes ago, cjsavory said:

Sadly I think today's result means Jude Jones will finish in 7th, one shy of a quota place... 

I'm not so sure on that. Yes he finished in 7th place in the final OQS rankings so in theory he misses out but..... :FRA Jeanjean qualified through OQS and that frees up the Host Quota. Because Jeanjean obtained his quota via OQS, the host quota is reallocated to the next best rider at the OQS which would be Jones. 

Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

I'm not so sure on that. Yes he finished in 7th place in the final OQS rankings so in theory he misses out but..... :FRA Jeanjean qualified through OQS and that frees up the Host Quota. Because Jeanjean obtained his quota via OQS, the host quota is reallocated to the next best rider at the OQS which would be Jones. 

Yep, that's my understanding too