website statistics

Team GB at 2024 Olympic Qualifier Series Road to Paris 2024

Great boulder qualifying round for Erin McNiece - she gets 3 top and a high zone to score 84.6. She's currently in 7th with 10 athletes left to compete who could potentially bump her down. Assuming no disasters in the lead round, then she should be well placed to get into the semi final.

Molly Thompson Smith didn't do so well, with just 1 top and 1 high zone with 2 low zones. She's going to need something special in the lead qualifying if she is going to pull herself up into the top 20. 

Ignoring the disaster that was skateboarding qualifying, today has gone pretty well for :GBR in sport climbing qualifying.

Hamish McArthur is well placed to get into the semi finals. He finished boulder qualifying in 2nd place and has a 40-point cushion over 21st ranked climber so he just needs a solid lead round. 

Jack MacDougall finished qualifying in 12th place so will need a good result in the lead climb tomorrow to secure his place in the semi final. His cushion over 21st place is about 15 points so I'd say he needs to get towards the 2/3rd stage if not further.

Max Milne and James Pope finished in 33rd and 40th place respectively and I think they have probably left themselves with too much to do in the lead round. Realistically Milne would need to top the lead route and hope that a few climbers ahead of him have a really bad day.

On the women's side, Erin McNeice, who has been in good form recently, was the top GB performer. With 3 tops, she finished qualifying in 7th place. A solid lead round should see her safely through to the semi final. Unfortunately, Molly Thompson-Smith didn't have a great day - it's possible she is carrying an ankle niggle - and she finished qualifying in 34th place. She's going to need a strong lead round to get into the top 20.  

11 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Solid boulder qualifying round from Hamish McArthur in what has been a relatively low scoring competition. He is currently sitting in 2nd place with a score of 84.6 points. 

If this is the weaker of the two elements from his perspective as you intimated in your preview this looks like a very decent performance.

32 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

If this is the weaker of the two elements from his perspective as you intimated in your preview this looks like a very decent performance.

I agree that it was a strong performance for McArthur although at the same time, there were a couple of "bigger" names who arguably underperformed - I would have expected Sam Avezou and Adam Ondra to finish with higher scores for example. The worry is that McArthur won't replicate that kind of performance when we get to the semifinal.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Ignoring the disaster that was skateboarding qualifying, today has gone pretty well for :GBR in sport climbing qualifying.

Hamish McArthur is well placed to get into the semi finals. He finished boulder qualifying in 2nd place and has a 40-point cushion over 21st ranked climber so he just needs a solid lead round. 

Jack MacDougall finished qualifying in 12th place so will need a good result in the lead climb tomorrow to secure his place in the semi final. His cushion over 21st place is about 15 points so I'd say he needs to get towards the 2/3rd stage if not further.

Max Milne and James Pope finished in 33rd and 40th place respectively and I think they have probably left themselves with too much to do in the lead round. Realistically Milne would need to top the lead route and hope that a few climbers ahead of him have a really bad day.

On the women's side, Erin McNeice, who has been in good form recently, was the top GB performer. With 3 tops, she finished qualifying in 7th place. A solid lead round should see her safely through to the semi final. Unfortunately, Molly Thompson-Smith didn't have a great day - it's possible she is carrying an ankle niggle - and she finished qualifying in 34th place. She's going to need a strong lead round to get into the top 20.  

GBR will have cause to be grateful for the slightly different system in Skateboard, I think. Because the points in the two OQS events rise so steeply, half the field would need to finish top 10 twice to pass Sky if she didn't get another point. Obviously that's just not going to happen, so I think, frankly, she's safe regardless, as are the top 6 or seven.

Tambling DNS was a minor disaster, but the first day has worked out well for her in the circumstances - the Prelims have completely gone to form, which means the bulk of those behind her have not overtaken her - she should enter Budapest midtable with her fate broadly in her own hands (unless injury prevents her, then she's stuffed)

Strachen in that context had a decent enough result - 21st bagged more points than 22 other people, obviously, and they are almost all now still behind here, she's probably going to emerge in the mid 20s, needing a good budapest result to stand a chance, but she was always going to need that, again because of the steepness.

As for the climbers, early days but I'd say they're pretty happy at the moment with how its gone.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

GBR will have cause to be grateful for the slightly different system in Skateboard, I think. Because the points in the two OQS events rise so steeply, half the field would need to finish top 10 twice to pass Sky if she didn't get another point. Obviously that's just not going to happen, so I think, frankly, she's safe regardless, as are the top 6 or seven.

Tambling DNS was a minor disaster, but the first day has worked out well for her in the circumstances - the Prelims have completely gone to form, which means the bulk of those behind her have not overtaken her - she should enter Budapest midtable with her fate broadly in her own hands (unless injury prevents her, then she's stuffed)

Strachen in that context had a decent enough result - 21st bagged more points than 22 other people, obviously, and they are almost all now still behind here, she's probably going to emerge in the mid 20s, needing a good budapest result to stand a chance, but she was always going to need that, again because of the steepness.

As for the climbers, early days but I'd say they're pretty happy at the moment with how its gone.

Hinson too is in a similar boat to Strachen, but I reckon it's a bit easier for him to get in with a top 20 finish probably being good enough to qualify.