website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

7 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

2 seconds beneath the relay Q time combined, they're in. Anderson, if regains fitness and form, will slot in as Colbert won't race the 200 Free in Paris, so won't take up an excess quota.

Taking Anderson would, at least in theory, still need to happen within the limit of 30 swimmers though? So, although she wouldn't be depriving anyone from taking the spot in the individual event, someone else would potentially have to miss out on the discretionary pick.

5 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Taking Anderson would, at least in theory, still need to happen within the limit of 30 swimmers though? So, although she wouldn't be depriving anyone from taking the spot in the individual event, someone else would potentially have to miss out on the discretionary pick.

And I think that’s why they won’t do it. Anderson will be told sorry but that’s the rules.

9 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Technically, yes, but given Anderson's Swiss Army knife relay quality, it's not a hard decision - the only issue is will she be race fit.

4 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Technically, yes, but given Anderson's Swiss Army knife relay quality, it's not a hard decision - the only issue is will she be race fit.

It is a hard decision because if she doesn’t perform in the relay someone will feel justified in being very annoyed. That’s the big issue with having a set number. No room to mitigate the risk from gambles.   

Edited by Orangehair43

I think that people are overthinking the 30 swimmer limit.

The maximum number of individual qualifiers we could take theoretically would be 56 - 2 in each of the 28 events.

In practical terms we won't get close to that - between some events likely not getting a swimmer in - like the men's 400m free - or by people likely doubling up - from today you would bank on MacInnes, Wood and Colbert all almost certainly taking another spot, amongst others.

So unless we start getting some *really* unexpected results, I doubt they will have to make many tough decisions.

I think Bird and Wilby are still in with a reasonable shout of making the 30. As is Anderson.

My gut instinct is that they will give Anderson every chance. In my mind she really has to go.

Bird I really don’t know about - you’d assume surely with no other representation in the 400m or 800m then he has a very strong argument.

i think the issue from the quota is mainly on the Big freestyle squads we will take on both men and women with the relays in mind. If the distance freestylers get in (Amelie and Dan Jarvis and Kieran), the 30 gets tight considering we are likely to have 4 backstrokers go on men’s and women’s side.. breaststroke looks likely to have 2 women and 2 men. Fly is looking like 2 women and men too. I’m assuming the IMs will be dean Scott Max Litchfield, Colbert and Katie and Abbie (already counting in the individual stroke totals above). 16 from combined fly, breast and back + 3 distance swimmers would take you to 19.

mens free squads - proud Burras Dean Scott guy richards whittle max litchfield (8)but I’ve counted Jimmy in the fly, so this adds 7.

womens free squads - Anderson Colbert wood Harris hope Hopkin. Possibly okaro to make the team for the 4x100. That would be 7 but already counting Medi in the backstroke, so it’s 6 to add to the count.

that gets you to 32.

Edited by RussB

9 minutes ago, RussB said:

My gut instinct is that they will give Anderson every chance. In my mind she really has to go.

Bird I really don’t know about - you’d assume surely with no other representation in the 400m or 800m then he has a very strong argument.

i think the issue from the quota is mainly on the Big freestyle squads we will take on both men and women with the relays in mind. If the distance freestylers get in (Amelie and Dan Jarvis and Kieran), the 30 gets tight considering we are likely to have 4 backstrokers go on men’s and women’s side.. breaststroke looks likely to have 2 women and 2 men. Fly is looking like 2 women and men too. I’m assuming the IMs will be dean Scott Max Litchfield, Colbert and Katie and Abbie (already counting in the individual stroke totals above). 16 from combined fly, breast and back + 3 distance swimmers would take you to 19.

mens free squads - proud Burras Dean Scott guy richards whittle max litchfield (8)but I’ve counted Jimmy in the fly, so this adds 7.

womens free squads - Anderson Colbert wood Harris hope Hopkin. Possibly okaro to make the team for the 4x100. That would be 7 but already counting Medi in the backstroke, so it’s 6 to add to the count.

that gets you to 32.

So two have to be cut. 

52 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I think that people are overthinking the 30 swimmer limit.

The maximum number of individual qualifiers we could take theoretically would be 56 - 2 in each of the 28 events.

In practical terms we won't get close to that - between some events likely not getting a swimmer in - like the men's 400m free - or by people likely doubling up - from today you would bank on MacInnes, Wood and Colbert all almost certainly taking another spot, amongst others.

So unless we start getting some *really* unexpected results, I doubt they will have to make many tough decisions.

I think Bird and Wilby are still in with a reasonable shout of making the 30. As is Anderson.

Going by Bird’s interview I don’t think he thinks he will be considered. 

Direct comparisons to last year's World Champs are problematic because British Swimming had to change their selection policy halfway through the meet, but they did that to get to their 30 team limit so it is a good starting point to highlight the challenges we may have with the team size this year.

GB sent a team of 29 swimmers to Fukuoka - 

Men's Squad (17):

Lewis Burras - 50m Free / 100m Free

Ben Proud - 50m Free

Matt Richards - 100m Free / 200m Free

Tom Dean - 200m Free / 200m IM

Luke Turley - 400m Free / 800m Free

Daniel Jervis - 800m Free / 1500m Free

Cameron Brooker - 100m Backstroke

Oliver Morgan - 100m Backstroke / 200m Backstroke

Brodie Williams - 200m Backstroke

James Wilby - 100m Breaststroke

Greg Butler - 200m Breaststroke

Jacob Peters - 100m Butterfly

James Guy - 100m Butterfly

Duncan Scott - 200m IM

Joe Litchfield - Relay Cover

Jacob Whittle - Relay Cover

Jack McMillan - Relay Cover

Luke Turley didn't make the 400m time and probably won't do it in the 800 either. I think Cameron Brooker and Brodie Williams will fail to get into the top 2 of their events so can also be removed. That creates an adjusted squad size of 14.

We definitely need to add in Adam Peaty and probably Luke Greenbank (200m Back), Jonathan Adam (100m Back) and Max Litchfield (400m IM). An argument could be made for taking another freestyle relay cover - probably Edward Mildred, but I'll assume that won't happen. That would take the men's squad to 18.

Women's Squad (12):

Anna Hopkin - 50m Free

Freya Anderson - 200m Free

Abbie Wood - 200m Free

Freya Colbert - 400m Free / 400m IM

Lauren Cox - 100m Backstroke

Medi Harris - 100m Backstroke

Katie Shanahan - 200m Backstroke / 200m IM / 400m IM

Kara Hanlon - 100m Breaststroke / 200m Breaststroke

Keanna MacInnes - 100m Butterfly

Laura Stephens - 200m Butterfly

Emily Large - 200m Butterfly

Lucy Hope - 4x200m Relay

Emily Large didn't get the standard in the 200m Butterfly and probably won't get it in the 100m so can be removed from the list. I am going to take out Anderson on the basis that she is sick and won't perform this week. I also think Medi Harris will be pushed close in the 100m Back by Kathleen Dawson but for now, I will leave Harris in as an individual and have an adjusted team size of 10.

I think Angharad Evans will get the standard (100m Breast) and will need to be added, as will Honey Osrin (200m Back) and Amelie Blocksidge (1500m Free). That would take the adjusted team size up to 31 but it would leave the women's team dangerously underweight on freestyle relay cover so I think they would have to add in an additional 200m Free - Leah Schlosshan - and an additional 100m Free swimmer to give a women's team of 15.

That's us up to 33 making it difficult to include Kieran Bird. They could give dispensation for Anderson (and I hope they do) but I'm not sure that would fully negate the need for the additional relay cover as I'm not sure they would want to use her in both heats and finals of the relays. 

14 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Direct comparisons to last year's World Champs are problematic because British Swimming had to change their selection policy halfway through the meet, but they did that to get to their 30 team limit so it is a good starting point to highlight the challenges we may have with the team size this year.

GB sent a team of 29 swimmers to Fukuoka - 

Men's Squad (17):

Lewis Burras - 50m Free / 100m Free

Ben Proud - 50m Free

Matt Richards - 100m Free / 200m Free

Tom Dean - 200m Free / 200m IM

Luke Turley - 400m Free / 800m Free

Daniel Jervis - 800m Free / 1500m Free

Cameron Brooker - 100m Backstroke

Oliver Morgan - 100m Backstroke / 200m Backstroke

Brodie Williams - 200m Backstroke

James Wilby - 100m Breaststroke

Greg Butler - 200m Breaststroke

Jacob Peters - 100m Butterfly

James Guy - 100m Butterfly

Duncan Scott - 200m IM

Joe Litchfield - Relay Cover

Jacob Whittle - Relay Cover

Jack McMillan - Relay Cover

Luke Turley didn't make the 400m time and probably won't do it in the 800 either. I think Cameron Brooker and Brodie Williams will fail to get into the top 2 of their events so can also be removed. That creates an adjusted squad size of 14.

We definitely need to add in Adam Peaty and probably Luke Greenbank (200m Back), Jonathan Adam (100m Back) and Max Litchfield (400m IM). An argument could be made for taking another freestyle relay cover - probably Edward Mildred, but I'll assume that won't happen. That would take the men's squad to 18.

Women's Squad (12):

Anna Hopkin - 50m Free

Freya Anderson - 200m Free

Abbie Wood - 200m Free

Freya Colbert - 400m Free / 400m IM

Lauren Cox - 100m Backstroke

Medi Harris - 100m Backstroke

Katie Shanahan - 200m Backstroke / 200m IM / 400m IM

Kara Hanlon - 100m Breaststroke / 200m Breaststroke

Keanna MacInnes - 100m Butterfly

Laura Stephens - 200m Butterfly

Emily Large - 200m Butterfly

Lucy Hope - 4x200m Relay

Emily Large didn't get the standard in the 200m Butterfly and probably won't get it in the 100m so can be removed from the list. I am going to take out Anderson on the basis that she is sick and won't perform this week. I also think Medi Harris will be pushed close in the 100m Back by Kathleen Dawson but for now, I will leave Harris in as an individual and have an adjusted team size of 10.

I think Angharad Evans will get the standard (100m Breast) and will need to be added, as will Honey Osrin (200m Back) and Amelie Blocksidge (1500m Free). That would take the adjusted team size up to 31 but it would leave the women's team dangerously underweight on freestyle relay cover so I think they would have to add in an additional 200m Free - Leah Schlosshan - and an additional 100m Free swimmer to give a women's team of 15.

That's us up to 33 making it difficult to include Kieran Bird. They could give dispensation for Anderson (and I hope they do) but I'm not sure that would fully negate the need for the additional relay cover as I'm not sure they would want to use her in both heats and finals of the relays. 

You can tell that the selectors have already told atheltes they is no discretionary place. Kieran Bird looked like someone who knows he only be in Paris as a spectator. 

Think Wilby might also miss out if they have enough confirmed and will they take Stephens if they do need to cut further (Or would like less in general).

Edited by Orangehair43