website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

2 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

This looks pretty good to me, they would be silly to not send all 7 relay teams so fingers crossed, do we know when the selectors make their decision? Could it be as soon as tomorrow?

We don't know for certain when they will announce it but the selection policy says that the athletes will be notified by Thursday at the latest.

3 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

This looks pretty good to me, they would be silly to not send all 7 relay teams so fingers crossed, do we know when the selectors make their decision? Could it be as soon as tomorrow? Happy for Guy, man always pulls it out the bag when needed the most 

Selected athletes should be notified by Thursday I think

6 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I don't think there is any risk for Robinson in going in the pool - probably no different to a training swim for him - so if he wants to do double up then there shouldn't be any issue. 

Maybe. Obviously fatigue and holding your form come into play. Either way, I don't think there's wrong result whichever way it pans out.

28 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

So I drew up a draft team earlier today, and from what I saw tonight nothing changed.

Some of this is known, some of it is my guesswork what will happen in Paris event wise:

Men

50 free - Proud and Cohoon

100 free - Richards and Dean

200 free - Richards and Scott

400 free - Bird

1500m free - Jervis

100 back - Morgan and Marshall

200 back - Morgan and Greenbank

100 breast - Peaty and Wilby

100 fly - Litchfield

200IM - Scott and Dean

400IM - Litchfield

Relay extras - Guy, McMillan

Women

50 free - Hopkin

100 free - Hopkin and Anderson

200 free - Wood and Anderson

100 back - Dawson and Harris

200 back - Osrin and Shanahan

100 breast - Evans and Hanlon

100 fly - MacInnes

200 fly - MacInnes and Stephens

200IM - Wood and Colbert

400IM - Colbert and Shanahan

Relay extras - Okaro, Hope

I think they will run all 7 relays.

Toby Robinson could get in the 800 or 1500 but I've not counted him because he'll be there anyway and I doubt he'll risk the pool events given that the open water is after them in the program.

I've made some guesses based on workload and people who I think have FINA OQTs, obviously.

Now to see how wrong I am when the selectors make their announcement this week. :d

This is a pretty accurate prediction. 

I expect Robinson to swim the 800 and 1500, they're very far apart in the schedule and he can use them as a good warm up for the open water. I also expect Jervis to swim the 800. 

I think if we're taking Wilby, he'll most likely also do the 200 breast despite only hitting the OCT - same applies to Hanlon. 

I also expect Guy to do the 100 fly as well as Litchfield as he won't have as many relays to do this time. 

Lastly, I don't think McMillan makes the team. He would only do the 200 free relay and we already have decent backups in that in Bird and J Litchfield. Whittle for me is a better option as we need a strong reserve in the 100 relay. 

19 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

This looks pretty good to me, they would be silly to not send all 7 relay teams so fingers crossed, do we know when the selectors make their decision? Could it be as soon as tomorrow? Happy for Guy, man always pulls it out the bag when needed the most 

The meeting is tomorrow, so we'll most likely find out by Tuesday at the latest. 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

This is a pretty accurate prediction. 

I expect Robinson to swim the 800 and 1500, they're very far apart in the schedule and he can use them as a good warm up for the open water. I also expect Jervis to swim the 800. 

I think if we're taking Wilby, he'll most likely also do the 200 breast despite only hitting the OCT - same applies to Hanlon. 

I also expect Guy to do the 100 fly as well as Litchfield as he won't have as many relays to do this time. 

Lastly, I don't think McMillan makes the team. He would only do the 200 free relay and we already have decent backups in that in Bird and J Litchfield. Whittle for me is a better option as we need a strong reserve in the 100 relay. 

Litchfield doesn't have a OQT, so right now if he does the individual 100m, nobody else can. I'd rather see where his 100m fly is at in the individual 100m before I commit to throwing him into the medley relay (which we would have to do if we don't swim him individually).

Jervis hasn't always swum the 800m when he's qualified for it previously, so I'm not sure he will here. Same with Robinson in the pool. It's easy to say they will use it as a warm up, but they might prefer to stay rested.

Guy pulled out of the 100m free final, so we don't know how fast he could have gone in that. But given how poorly Whittle went, I'd be more inclined to put Jimmy in there anyway. There's probably only a couple of tenths between them. And given that relay is day 1, I'm not even 100% convinced we should be using *any* reserves. All 4 of the main guys should be fresh.

Joe Litchfield just went a 1.49. He was over 3.5 seconds slower than McMillan. McMillan being there probably allows some of the big guns to push slightly less. Litchfield probably doesn't give that choice. Hell, using Max is probably a wise choice.

The only real argument for Whittle is if you think that he can get his form back and that the others are at their peak. It's possible but that seems more of a risk than choosing the folks who actually performed this week, at least for me.

Overall I have really enjoyed this meet, and I have enjoyed the integration of the para and able bodied swimmers. 

The para swimmers have put on a great show with some truly world class times. 

As a summary, I thought I'd go through the para swimming prospects for Paris, and give the times which would have won medals at last years worlds.

Men's 100m Freestyle S12 - Silver

Men's 200m Freestyle S14 - Gold

Men's 400m Freestyle S6 - Bronze

Men's 100m Backstroke S12 - Gold

Men's 100m Backstroke S14 - Bronze

Men's 100m Butterfly S12 - Gold

Men's 100m Butterfly S14 - Silver

Men's 200m IM S6 - Bronze

Men's 200m IM S14 - Bronze

Women's 50m Freestyle S8 - Silver

Women's 100m Freestyle S5 - Gold

Women's 200m Freestyle S5 - Gold

Women's 200m Freestyle S14 - Gold, Silver + Bronze

Women's 400m Freestyle S8 - Gold

Women's 400m Freestyle S10 - Bronze

Women's 50m Backstroke S3 - Gold

Women's 50m Backstroke S5 - Silver

Women's 100m Backstroke S8 - Gold

Women's 100m Backstroke S14 - Gold, Silver + Bronze

Women's 100m Butterfly S8 - Bronze

Women's 100m Butterfly S10 - Gold + Bronze

Women's 100m Butterfly S14 - Gold + Silver

Women's 100m Breaststroke S5 - Silver

Women's 100m Breaststroke S6 - Gold

Women's 100m Breaststroke S7 - Gold

Women's 100m Breaststroke S8 - Gold

Women's 100m Breaststroke S13 - Silver

Women's 100m Breaststroke S14 - Bronze

Women's 200m IM S6 - Gold

Women's 200m IM S8 - Gold

Women's 200m IM S14 - Gold + Bronze

Mixed 4x100m Freestyle S14 - Gold

Overall, that results in 19 Golds, 9 Silvers and 11 Bronzes. For comparison, we got 8 Golds, 9 Silvers and 9 Bronzes in Tokyo

32 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Overall I have really enjoyed this meet, and I have enjoyed the integration of the para and able bodied swimmers. 

The para swimmers have put on a great show with some truly world class times. 

As a summary, I thought I'd go through the para swimming prospects for Paris, and give the times which would have won medals at last years worlds.

Men's 100m Freestyle S12 - Silver

Men's 200m Freestyle S14 - Gold

Men's 400m Freestyle S6 - Bronze

Men's 100m Backstroke S12 - Gold

Men's 100m Backstroke S14 - Bronze

Men's 100m Butterfly S12 - Gold

Men's 100m Butterfly S14 - Silver

Men's 200m IM S6 - Bronze

Men's 200m IM S14 - Bronze

Women's 50m Freestyle S8 - Silver

Women's 100m Freestyle S5 - Gold

Women's 200m Freestyle S5 - Gold

Women's 200m Freestyle S14 - Gold, Silver + Bronze

Women's 400m Freestyle S8 - Gold

Women's 400m Freestyle S10 - Bronze

Women's 50m Backstroke S3 - Gold

Women's 50m Backstroke S5 - Silver

Women's 100m Backstroke S8 - Gold

Women's 100m Backstroke S14 - Gold, Silver + Bronze

Women's 100m Butterfly S8 - Bronze

Women's 100m Butterfly S10 - Gold + Bronze

Women's 100m Butterfly S14 - Gold + Silver

Women's 100m Breaststroke S5 - Silver

Women's 100m Breaststroke S6 - Gold

Women's 100m Breaststroke S7 - Gold

Women's 100m Breaststroke S8 - Gold

Women's 100m Breaststroke S13 - Silver

Women's 100m Breaststroke S14 - Bronze

Women's 200m IM S6 - Gold

Women's 200m IM S8 - Gold

Women's 200m IM S14 - Gold + Bronze

Mixed 4x100m Freestyle S14 - Gold

Overall, that results in 19 Golds, 9 Silvers and 11 Bronzes. For comparison, we got 8 Golds, 9 Silvers and 9 Bronzes in Tokyo

That’s good. Looking like we might be having a good Para’s then.