website statistics

GB Athletics

25 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I think relays will push us over 60 but in terms of individual athletes we may struggle to reach 50 which is unacceptable. Only UKA to blame, with them setting OQT times as UKA standard times in events where it's turned out that less than a third of qualified athletes will qualify via getting the OQT. 

Do we need to take a ton of athletes that are just happy to be there and bomb out in the heats though, the athletes that have qualified are the quality ones.

A standard needs to be set somewhere i think. Theres only one track event we havnt qualified in i think? As for field, the ones that arent going are MILES off the pace of being competitive internationally

11 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Do we need to take a ton of athletes that are just happy to be there and bomb out in the heats though, the athletes that have qualified are the quality ones.

A standard needs to be set somewhere i think. Theres only one track event we havnt qualified in i think? As for field, the ones that arent going are MILES off the pace of being competitive internationally

"Theres only one track event we havnt qualified in i think?"

M 10,000

M 3000 SC

W Walk

3 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Of course there needs to be a standard but it needs to be realistic to the standard of athletes who have a shot at getting in via the rankings. Some of the times set by UKA and Jack Bucknall have been ridiculous and unrealistic, in some cases they were expecting athletes to make times that would put them in the top 10 in the world this year. They think that we're a powerhouse in athletics like we somewhat are in swimming by using a system like this, but we're not. We also don't have the strength in depth like we do in swimming, which leaves events like the Javelin and Triple Jump absolutely crippled with no opportunity to get experience, progress or grow on an international level. 

And in terms of giving opportunities to athletes who are gonna "bomb out" in the heats or qualifying, not only does it give those athletes experience at a major games which can help them become more successful in the long run but it also makes it look stronger as an athletics nation by having different competitors in a variety of different events and it gives young athletes watching at home British athletes that can inspire to be like and strive to match and better their accomplishments. 

3 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

"Theres only one track event we havnt qualified in i think?"

M 10,000

M 3000 SC

W Walk

It’s shocking we have no one in the M 10000. And that will be noticed as it’s a single race  and takes 30 mins of the evening. 

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Of course there needs to be a standard but it needs to be realistic to the standard of athletes who have a shot at getting in via the rankings. Some of the times set by UKA and Jack Bucknall have been ridiculous and unrealistic, in some cases they were expecting athletes to make times that would put them in the top 10 in the world this year. They think that we're a powerhouse in athletics like we somewhat are in swimming by using a system like this, but we're not. We also don't have the strength in depth like we do in swimming, which leaves events like the Javelin and Triple Jump absolutely crippled with no opportunity to get experience, progress or grow on an international level. 

And in terms of giving opportunities to athletes who are gonna "bomb out" in the heats or qualifying, not only does it give those athletes experience at a major games which can help them become more successful in the long run but it also makes it look stronger as an athletics nation by having different competitors in a variety of different events and it gives young athletes watching at home British athletes that can inspire to be like and strive to match and better their accomplishments. 

If they hit or exceed the medal target one suspects the standard will be even tougher going forward. Probably World or Olympic final qualification standard for all events like swimming is. 

Edited by Orangehair43

4 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

It’s shocking we have no one in the M 10000. And that will be noticed as it’s a single race  and takes 30 mins of the evening. 

No Orangehair, it won't. B efore Mo Farah, nobody in GBR much cared about the 10k, and they'll go back to not caring about it just as easily. Please, please stop trying to create crisis news, there is none there, and it's tedious.

18 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

No Orangehair, it won't. B efore Mo Farah, nobody in GBR much cared about the 10k, and they'll go back to not caring about it just as easily. Please, please stop trying to create crisis news, there is none there, and it's tedious.

But the memories of Farah will still be there - so when Steve Cram has to mention there is no Brits there it will seem slightly odd. 

It’s funny two of our more dominant athletes events are now areas where we poor. 

Edited by Orangehair43

15 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

But the memories of Farah will still be there - so when Steve Cram has to mention there is no Brits there it will seem slightly odd. 

It’s funny two of our more dominant athletes events are now areas where we poor. 

Please seriously dont tell me you think we are a dominant 10,000m natiom, that cant be one of the events you are refering to 

We had ONE runner 🤣 

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Of course there needs to be a standard but it needs to be realistic to the standard of athletes who have a shot at getting in via the rankings. Some of the times set by UKA and Jack Bucknall have been ridiculous and unrealistic, in some cases they were expecting athletes to make times that would put them in the top 10 in the world this year.

It's complicated, but there definitely was a time not so long ago when we had a whole pack of useless makeweights whose only ambitions were to get to a Major, go out in the first round and maybe scrape the odd Commonwealth medal.  And they kept on doing it year after year.  My compromise proposal would be that we are generous to young athletes just making the transition from age group to senior, but if you've already been to an event, didn't do much, and don't have a realistic hope of making a final, then you can watch on TV.   Lots of other countries have far harsher rules - New Zealand and the Netherlands to name but two.  And they've been doing pretty well.