website statistics

GB Athletics

Wightman having an exemption allows them to consider him for any discretionary spot. He has the Q in both 800m and 1500m. Without the exemption, they wouldn't be able to pick him, under their own rules. And considering they are trying to be stricter about the rules, they can hardly bend them too much.

James Rhodes (athletics photographer/journalist) on twitter outlined the possibilities for Jake:

Josh Kerr guaranteed selection. Top 2 at trials (if they have Olympic Q) guaranteed selection. How does this work for Jake?

1) Someone without the Q is top-two in 1500m (unlikely).

2) Ben P is top two in 800m, "unlocking" the discretionary spot in 800m.

3) Josh is top two in 800m, doesn't take that place meaning it could go to Jake.

4) Jake doesn't go to Paris.

5) George M is top two in the 1500m, says he wants to do the 5000m, is given the third discretionary spot, and therefore opens up a spot in the 1500m.

I agree entirely with his assessment. There's limited leeway for Jake to make the 1500m team without a very specific set of circumstances. The only thing that he's not considered is someone else getting a knock before Paris and Jake getting the spot that way.

1 hour ago, Olympicsnell said:

Fincham-Dukes won the gb nationals long jump, think he has the standard? Does that mean hes going? Commentators didnt really say anything about it which i found odd

He doesn't have the World Athletics standard but I think that he did get the UKA standard - so assuming he gets a WA invite, then it should be accepted. 

16 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

He doesn't have the World Athletics standard but I think that he did get the UKA standard - so assuming he gets a WA invite, then it should be accepted. 

Through knowing UKA I wouldn’t trust them to accept any invite. 

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

He's got the standard so the invite will be accepted. 

His issue is simply that he's close to the rankings bubble - he may have to see out the weekend with no more autoQs

8 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

His issue is simply that he's close to the rankings bubble - he may have to see out the weekend with no more autoQs

To my knowledge BA don't have a cap on how many they're taking, so realistically he shouldn't have to worry about this. 

happy with that 100m qualifcation of hinchliffe and azu, then zharnel getting the discretionary pick, 

womens should be neita, lansiqot and asha-smith, 

both 4x100 teams should be right up there with medal chances as well 

5 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

happy with that 100m qualifcation of hinchliffe and azu, then zharnel getting the discretionary pick, 

womens should be neita, lansiqot and asha-smith, 

both 4x100 teams should be right up there with medal chances as well 

Women's team *should* be DAS, Neita and Hunt. But it *will* be DAS, Neita and Lansiquot. Hunt has arguably been in better form than Lansiquot for much of this year and has just beaten her in the race that should matter the most to qualification. But she's going to be a victim of the UK selection policy...

6 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Women's team *should* be DAS, Neita and Hunt. But it *will* be DAS, Neita and Lansiquot. Hunt has arguably been in better form than Lansiquot for much of this year and has just beaten her in the race that should matter the most to qualification. But she's going to be a victim of the UK selection policy...

can hunt get the time at the diamond league? i guess she would need an invite and i dont know if she has one