website statistics

GB Athletics

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

Weekend weather for Manchester.

18 c, light rain and light wind all the time

There's light wind and light wind. Issue will be, especially for men's 200, will it be <2.0 m/s light.

15 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

Men's 100 at the trials, who do we think is getting the 2 spots? 

Am hoping hinchliffe, and maybe Prescod?

That event and both 800's and 1500's are what intrigue me the most, everything else should be pretty clear cut, was gonna go but all tickets on home straight are gone and i can't be bothered sitting anywhere else

Zharnel's exemption has suddenly made this the most wonderfully cut throat exercise - that said, there will also be 4x100 relay sports up for grabs s all is not lost outside top 2.

My hunch is that Azu was on the verge of somethng extraordinary a few weeks back - if it was really just cramp, and he's sorted the issue, I'd love to see what he can do. Hinchliffe has been a revelation, but we know how hard it is to immediately turn that NCAA form into Olympic qualification. Romell Glave has had to wait several years for his chance, and when he got it, he did not disappoint. And Reece Prescod cannot be ignored as a massive natural talent.

I'd be happy with any two from the first three - if I had a slight lean in preference (nor prediction, different thing), it would be towards Azu and Glave, with Hinchliffe in the relay room

1500 will be a bloodbath - so much depth behind Wightman, several of them shall we say awkward runners who tend to bump, barge, get boxed in, then commit minor criminal assaults to get out. If Wightman is on a decent form, they're probably fighting for one spot. Personally, I'd love to see a team of Kerr. Wightman and Mills; if I were honest, Gourley and Giles have had enough chances.

The 800 is also going to carnage, but I think in a slightly different way - no way is Kerr doubling up in Paris, so he's really just a spoiler here to the rest, although his own mottives are very understandable. Obviously Pattison, Dustin and Burgin represent the future, as it were, but the 'past' - Langford, Rowden and Learmonth have a lot of 'savvy' and you simply never know what's coming from Jamie Webb, or for that matter the fast improving Sharman-Newell. I really want to see Burgin on the pane, but it's not the likeliest outcome given his season, or lack thereof. 

Perhaps the question is, does Kerr basically run it as a 'rabbit' to ensure a true run fast race, or will we get the classic absolute muck of a final the national 800 often throws up...and given the long list of class athletes, how many screw up the semis...

In 1500W, there's a melancholy quality to Muir - are we now, after everything, maybe on the downslope? Given the pain and toil needed to finally get that Olympic and worlds medal, you could hardly blame here if the flame dimmed a little. Bell seems to be the coming athlete domestically, but women's 1500 tends to be, behind Muir, a very 'on the day' kind of event, more so even than the men's. Happy with Muir, Bell and a.n. other, preferably Courteny Bryant

W800, again is as cutthroat as you like, though sad that Boffay has had to withdraw, given here's no realistic discretionary spot open in this field. Obviously this is two tales of two different narratives, and the attempts of the rest to break it up. You have to think Reekie is favourite. and you have to think there's a fair chance Gill again tries to take it out the Full 'Prefontaine' ("the only good race pace is a suicide pace, and today's a good day to die."), but there's a LOT of next level runners in that entry list, not just the likely final. Bookie's delight, that race. I'm hoping for gill and Reekie here, but hell, so many worthy athletes.

I think the women's 800m is going to be Phoebe taking it out at crazy pace, Reekie trying to hang on and the rest not being able to stay with the pace and then the final 100m will be pain central. I'm very excited to see what Phoebe can do, a low 1m 57 would appear to be very possible.

Matt running the 200m is also interesting, I have no idea where he will finish [in GB it's a very open event this year]. Men's 1500m behind Jake is going to be fascinating as is the 800m with Kerr working on speed. Very competitive middle distance events.

If the conditions are right, Keep an eye out for an U18 World Record, from Phoebe. Also excited to see what Dobson can do. 

Men's 1500 and 800 are going to be a bloodbath.

Got to remmeber there is also a lot bad blood at the moment between a lot of Athletes and the organisers at the moment because of the dislike of the current selection policy (Few current athletes support the policy.)

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Zharnel's exemption has suddenly made this the most wonderfully cut throat exercise - that said, there will also be 4x100 relay sports up for grabs s all is not lost outside top 2.

My hunch is that Azu was on the verge of somethng extraordinary a few weeks back - if it was really just cramp, and he's sorted the issue, I'd love to see what he can do. Hinchliffe has been a revelation, but we know how hard it is to immediately turn that NCAA form into Olympic qualification. Romell Glave has had to wait several years for his chance, and when he got it, he did not disappoint. And Reece Prescod cannot be ignored as a massive natural talent.

I'd be happy with any two from the first three - if I had a slight lean in preference (nor prediction, different thing), it would be towards Azu and Glave, with Hinchliffe in the relay room

1500 will be a bloodbath - so much depth behind Wightman, several of them shall we say awkward runners who tend to bump, barge, get boxed in, then commit minor criminal assaults to get out. If Wightman is on a decent form, they're probably fighting for one spot. Personally, I'd love to see a team of Kerr. Wightman and Mills; if I were honest, Gourley and Giles have had enough chances.

The 800 is also going to carnage, but I think in a slightly different way - no way is Kerr doubling up in Paris, so he's really just a spoiler here to the rest, although his own mottives are very understandable. Obviously Pattison, Dustin and Burgin represent the future, as it were, but the 'past' - Langford, Rowden and Learmonth have a lot of 'savvy' and you simply never know what's coming from Jamie Webb, or for that matter the fast improving Sharman-Newell. I really want to see Burgin on the pane, but it's not the likeliest outcome given his season, or lack thereof. 

Perhaps the question is, does Kerr basically run it as a 'rabbit' to ensure a true run fast race, or will we get the classic absolute muck of a final the national 800 often throws up...and given the long list of class athletes, how many screw up the semis...

In 1500W, there's a melancholy quality to Muir - are we now, after everything, maybe on the downslope? Given the pain and toil needed to finally get that Olympic and worlds medal, you could hardly blame here if the flame dimmed a little. Bell seems to be the coming athlete domestically, but women's 1500 tends to be, behind Muir, a very 'on the day' kind of event, more so even than the men's. Happy with Muir, Bell and a.n. other, preferably Courteny Bryant

W800, again is as cutthroat as you like, though sad that Boffay has had to withdraw, given here's no realistic discretionary spot open in this field. Obviously this is two tales of two different narratives, and the attempts of the rest to break it up. You have to think Reekie is favourite. and you have to think there's a fair chance Gill again tries to take it out the Full 'Prefontaine' ("the only good race pace is a suicide pace, and today's a good day to die."), but there's a LOT of next level runners in that entry list, not just the likely final. Bookie's delight, that race. I'm hoping for gill and Reekie here, but hell, so many worthy athletes.

If it was cramp for Azu, it probably wouldn't have pushed him out of Rome as well. Still, he's had a month to get over whatever it was, so hopefully should be fine.

Giles is down for the 800m, not the 1500m. Mills wouldn't surprise me if he is doing the 1500m more for speed training (or to double I suppose). He's got a solid chance of the 5000m discretionary spot given Rome and that's probably his better chance of a medal.

Burgin getting a spot would be disaster for me. Because, god love him, he can't keep his body fit even for a month. He needs to work out a way of getting fit for longer, rather than a one off race.

Muir is still 4 seconds clear of the field in the 1500m, so it is hers to lose. Although she's on the plane whatever, so she might not even be completely fresh for this.

In related news, Phoebe has been selected for the Euro U18 Champs. I'm guessing (with absolutely *zero* special knowledge) that she will withdraw from that if she were to make Paris, as it is the week before the Olympics.

3 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Glave out.

Derbyshire only doing the flat 400m, not the hurdles.

Tagoe, Langford, Bradshaw all out. The sicknote list is becoming an issue with Hughes and Glave already out, the latter it appears for the season, and questions around Prescod, Jaz Sawyers, Jessica Waner Judd and Zeller already out for the season, McColgan not in top shape and and KJT carrying a 'niggle'.

For some - Bradshaw esp - London Athletics Meet probably gives hope for a Q score chance, but that's a pretty dreadful list in run up to trials.