website statistics

GB Athletics

4 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

A few strange omissions from this. First of all no 4x400 women's relay is a bit odd, there are more than enough athletes there to make up one with 1 or 2 reserves. The lack of field athletes once again is startling, I'd have thought Ugen, Clarke-Khan and Walton would've been selected at least on a wildcard basis. But the biggest omission of them all has got to be Jade Lally, hitting the standard 9 times and being ranked 14th in Europe not getting you in is nothing short of a disgrace - and I doubt she'd have rejected it as she enters and attends everything. 

I saw a tweet yesterday which I think was referring to Jade Lally suggesting the selectors don’t like her for some particular 

Shows the big problem with the hard 70 cap.

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

KJT announced a while back she was doing it.

A little surprised, given they were selected, that Bianca Williams and Amy Hunt arenot runing the individual 200m

Bianca isn't in the squad. She's done one 100m race in the last month and that's it.

Amy didn't have the GB standard for 200m. She had the Euro Q but GBR set their own standard for 200m women for some reason.

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

A few strange omissions from this. First of all no 4x400 women's relay is a bit odd, there are more than enough athletes there to make up one with 1 or 2 reserves. The lack of field athletes once again is startling, I'd have thought Ugen, Clarke-Khan and Walton would've been selected at least on a wildcard basis. But the biggest omission of them all has got to be Jade Lally, hitting the standard 9 times and being ranked 14th in Europe not getting you in is nothing short of a disgrace - and I doubt she'd have rejected it as she enters and attends everything. 

Joel Clarke Khan has made a dig at not being selected despite having the standard on his Instagram. He will be there anyway as he is Molly Caudrey’s partner. 

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Ugen doesn't have the Q and also doesn't have a quota spot so they couldn't invite her even if they wanted to.

The 4x4 one is more difficult to determine. Given the relative proximity to trials and the Olympics, it's possible that both athletes and admin thought it wasn't worth it to risk it athletes having too heavy a workload here. It's noticeable that Haydock Wilson is the only one of the men's 400m individuals included in the relay team.

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Been told that athletes on the first days of the Europeans are not allowed to stay and watch the later days due to cost cutting. 

Who told you that? And, if it is true, do you have proof that in previous years athletes have had that ability covered? 

It's this kind of vague doom and gloom posting that gets you a bad reputation.

Seeing a lot of online chatter that BBC isn't going to be showing the European Champs next week. This seems strange given we've had 2 Diamond League events since the Daily Mail article and on both occasions, the announcer has said the BBC will be covering and the programme pages are up on the website. 

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Seeing a lot of online chatter that BBC isn't going to be showing the European Champs next week. This seems strange given we've had 2 Diamond League events since the Daily Mail article and on both occasions, the announcer has said the BBC will be covering and the programme pages are up on the website. 

"Covering" = articles on the website & live radio, clips on the news.  There's no actual live coverage scheduled.

6 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

"Covering" = articles on the website & live radio, clips on the news.  There's no actual live coverage scheduled.

I mean, there's this page, which does imply that they plan to have some live coverage -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m002050g/episodes/guide

Whether that is just a filler page and nothing will come of it later in the week remains to be seen obviously.