website statistics

Team GB medal hopes - Swimming Road to Paris 2024

Not sure where to put this, but Amelie Blocksidge swam some fast times this week to open her season at the Lancashire county champs.

100m Freestyle - 59.23

200m Freestyle - 2:04.44

400m Freestyle - 4:15.84

800m Freestyle - 8:34.74

1500m Freestyle - 16:10.04

200m Fly - 2:18.66

200m IM - 2:20.18

400m IM - 4:48.06.

I posted about the 1500m on this thread as that is her avenue to make the Paris team.

However - if she continues to drop her 800m time in conjunction she could overturn Freya Colbert at trials.

Her 400m IM is very raw, but there is a chance she can move that forward towards the 4:40 mark in a relatively short order. 

What an exciting prospect. The British record for 1500m is Jaz Carlin’s 15m 47… she could genuinely challenge it in the next couple of years. I think on full rest, she might go sub 16m at trials.

1 hour ago, TeamGB said:

Not sure where to put this, but Amelie Blocksidge swam some fast times this week to open her season at the Lancashire county champs.

100m Freestyle - 59.23

200m Freestyle - 2:04.44

400m Freestyle - 4:15.84

800m Freestyle - 8:34.74

1500m Freestyle - 16:10.04

200m Fly - 2:18.66

200m IM - 2:20.18

400m IM - 4:48.06.

Used to swim Lancashire county as a kid and I can tell you it's one of the hardest county competitions in the country (it basically has all the best swimmers in the north west region), so to dominate the way she has is nothing short of incredible. Furthermore, if she'd have swam that in the 1500m this morning she'd have qualified 2nd fastest for the final, even if she doesn't get the selection time I hope they give her the nod purely for the experience as she could very well make the final in Paris. 

Men's Events

50m Free

Ben Proud will once again challenge for Gold in this event, although his chances look slimmer than before as McEvoy joins Dressell in potentially going sub 21 seconds. Lewis Burras or Alexander Cohoon could also potentially join Proud here. 

100m Free

Like Proud, Matt Richards will challenge for Gold here. He chances look a bit better as the likes of Pan and Popovici and put in inconsistent performances as of late, although I expect Pan to have tightened this up comes Paris. Burras or Jacob Whittle look most likely to accompany Richards, Duncan Scott could also do the 100 if he fails to qualify for the 200 at trials. Speaking of which....

200m Free

Whichever 2 of Scott, Richards and Tom Dean take the spots will be instant medal favourites, and if either one of them are on top form in Paris they'll blow everyone else out the water. Hwang and Rapsys lead the charge against the Brits. 

400m Free

Would be nothing short of a minor miracle if we qualify someone here, would take a Kieran Bird esque PB like in 2021 for us to achieve the British Swimming standard. Max Litchfield and the aforementioned Bird are the lead contenders to achieve it. 

800m And 1500m Free

I expect Dan Jervis to qualify and potentially reach the final in both in Paris, but mainly in the 1500. He missed out on the 800 BS standard by 0.01 seconds last year, and if he somehow does the same this year I think the selectors may let him decide if he wants to compete the 800. 

100m Back

Oliver Morgan and Jonathan Adam will most likely represent GB here, with Luke Greenbank focusing on the 200. Adam will target a semi, Morgan a final. 

200m Back 

Similar to the 200 Free, 3 swimmers (Greenback, Morgan and Brodie Williams) will battle for 2 quotas. If achieved, all 3 will target a spot in the final. 

100m Breast

Adam Peaty and James Wilby will represent GB. It's unknown what shape Peaty's gonna be in come Paris, but based off Doha he should at least challenge for a medal. 

200m Breast

In a normal world Wilby should qualify for this with some ease and be challenging for the final. But his forms been so poor there's a good chance he won't even qualify. Greg Butler has an outside chance of achieving the standard, but he's certainly one for the future. 

100m Fly

James Guy and Jacob Peters will represent GB here with both, hopefully, challenging for medals in what looks to be a tight contest. 

200m Fly

It really depends if Guy wants to do the 200 along with the 100 and relays, if not then no one will come close to qualifying here as Max Litchfield is less likely than Guy to give this event a go. 

200m Medley

Scott and Dean will represent GB here with both looking to challenge Marchand for Gold. 

400m Medley 

Max Litchfield should just about qualify here, and we'll what type of form he's in on Sunday in this event as he looks to make the final.