website statistics

The best sports museums in the world

rafalgorka

USOPC opened a museum in Colorado Springs. I haven’t been yet, but the reviews I read were pretty good.

Park City has a nice museum at the Olympic Center, right above the bobsleigh track. It mostly has stuff from the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Vancouver and Palisades Tahoe have some ones celebrating their editions as well. I don’t remember much about either.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I have been to the museum at Panathenaic Stadium in Athens which is cool but very small (the stadium itself is much more impressive). I've also been to the Thessaloniki Olympic Museum which for me was my favourite, although non-Greeks I'm sure would not find it anywhere near as interesting (it's mostly different Greek Olympians, from Thessaloniki or other areas nearby, who gave some of their Olympic kits, equipment, etc.).

Not Olympic-related but I enjoyed the museum at Wimbledon in London :GBR

9 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I have been to the museum at Panathenaic Stadium in Athens which is cool but very small (the stadium itself is much more impressive).

Oh right, I forgot about that. It’s free when you pay for admission to the stadium, so as a package deal, it’s worth it. They do have a complete/near complete set of official posters and torches, which isn’t super common. The gift shop is still selling some Athens 2004 merchandise :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Best thing about Lausanne is that you go in under a high jump set to Sotomoayor’s World Record.  WTF! There’s no way__:hyper:

I didn’t know that!!! 

oh i book a flight for tomorrow then! Are they open on Sunday heh???

High jump is the best thing in sport for me. nothing can beat that

We don’t have an “Olympic Museum” but we have a Sport Museum which has a giant football attached to it.

5829086601664214574.png

Funnily enough, I’ve never been there because it’s a part of an amusement park which is located at the far Eastern end of the city. Recently they have added more Olympians personal items into their collection, so maybe I’ll plan a visit.

I’ve been to Singapore Sports and Youth Olympic Museu, which probably is the nearest place for Southeast Asians to see Olympic related items like torches (thanks YOG :p ). So it’s like two museums in one building and there is also a sport library too.

1024px-2010_Summer_YOG_Torch_-_Singapore