website statistics

Who would you make your NOC flag bearer in Paris 2024?

rafalgorka

My picks would be:

Ciara Mageean (Athletics)
Paul O'Donovan (Rowing)

I can't think of anyone more deserving or fitting for this honour than Ciara Mageean. Everything she achieves in her career, her national pride is just bursting through in her interviews and she is just a top human being.
For the men's I would actually love to give it to Rhys McClenaghan but since he competes on Day 1, it is unlikely and would be unwise. Paul O'Donovan has achieved everything in his rowing career so this honour would be absolutely deserved!

I wonder how it is in your country but in Poland we say: The flag bearer won't make it to the medal.

In recent editions Polish flag bearers were usually well-picked (imho) but they failed to get a medal almost every time.

Edited by rafalgorka

11 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I wonder how it is in your country but in Poland we say: The flag bearer won't make it to the medal.

In recent editions Polish flag bearers were usually well-picked (imho) but they failed to get a medal almost every time.

Our female flag bearer last time, Kellie Harrington, went on to win a gold medal. Sometimes lesser known athletes are chosen for the honour and other times the honour goes to our biggest name, it varies. I think it's similar in most countries.

1 minute ago, OlympicIRL said:

Our female flag bearer last time, Kellie Harrington, went on to win a gold medal. Sometimes lesser known athletes are chosen for the honour and other times the honour goes to our biggest name, it varies. I think it's similar in most countries.

The same here.

But quite often they pick the real medal chances but then they fail to get a medal.

Agnieszka Radwańska, London 2012, first one I think of. She lost in the opening round, and a moment earlier she was in the final on the same Wimbledon court.

But nevermind, I must admit that some of Radwańska matches were much more emotional for me than Świątek. I wonder why, maybe because she was the first. It's like Adam Małysz vs Kamil Stoch...