website statistics

What are your 5 best Football World Cup Finals ever?

thepharoah

as long as there're no live matches of any sort these days in sport generally , so it's not strange to talk about the past and watch some old matches :d , i'm really interested these days in watching some classic matches of WC and Euros , talking about our topic i watched WC since 2002 , but i watched the highlights of almost every final of WC and i watched some full matches of these finals , so here's my list of top 5 WC Finals in history upon my opinion :- 

1- West Germany vs. Netherlands : 1974 WC Final in Germany which ended 2-1 for the home side , the most exciting game which couldn't be decided until the vary last second , some of the most legendary footballers ever playing in this final , one of the rarest times that we had a final of WC of the really best 2 teams in world at these days . 

2- Argentina vs. West Germany : 1986 final in Mexico which ended 3-2 for Maradona's side : differently this final is among the most exciting finals ever of WC , Argentina leading 2-0 until 74th minute and Germany just scores two goals to tie the match and at the moment Germany try to win the match Argentina scores a 3rd goal and wins it all , really what a turn around match 

3- Italy vs. France : 2006 final in Germany which ended in Penalties for Italy , the 2nd ever final that was decided upon penalties and again Italy was one of its 2 sides , very exciting game with a really turning point where Zidan was sent off in his last football match after this butt to Materazzi :d 

4- England vs. West Germany : 1966 Final in England which ended 4-2 for the home side after extra time , and it had the most controversial decision ever in any final when Geoff Hurst shot hit the crossbar and it wasn't sure if it crossed the line or not , but it was given a goal for the Englishmen who later scored the 4th goal that ended the drought for the 1st and only title ever for England 

5- Uruguay vs. Brazil : 1950 final in Maracana which had the most ever surprising result of a WC final where Uruguay out of nowhere defeated a very strong home side under the sites of 200 k fans watching the game , Brazil only needed a tie to win WC as the final round was a group stage tournament , but it was Uruguay in the end that won their 2nd and last WC ever 

so for u what were your best 5 so far :coffee:

2018 is definitely up there, six goals in a World Cup final :cheer: 2014 and especially 2010 were top-notch snoozefests, 2010 only stayed interesting for me because of the teams in it :p  I don't remember 2006 being interesting apart from Zidane being a pathetic little moron and 2002 and before that were too early for me to have watched :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Off the top of my head:

1986 Argentina vs England QF

1986 Argentina vs West Germany Final

1994 Romania vs Argentina Round of 16

1994 Brazil vs Netherlands QF

2006 Italy vs Germany Final

Yeah that 1986 quarter-final was an awesome World Cup Final indeed :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah that 1986 quarter-final was an awesome World Cup Final indeed :p 

Since 1986 Argentina and Netherlands have been playing the most enjoyable football on the global stage for me. The 1978 WC final is a somewhat forgotten gem, Netherlands should have really won that game, pretty much like Portugal should have won the 1984 Euro SF vs France.

I haven't watched many pre-1974 WC games in full tbh so I have a vague memory of them in most cases. Northern Ireland at 1982 had some fine games, Norman Whiteside remains the biggest What If case in modern football tbh. Spain vs NI group stage game is like totally forgotten though Gerry Armstrong was a long-time commentator for EuroSport later on.

Edited by Monzanator

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Off the top of my head:

1986 Argentina vs England QF

1986 Argentina vs West Germany Final

1994 Romania vs Argentina Round of 16

1994 Brazil vs Netherlands QF

2006 Italy vs Germany Final

do u mean Italy vs. Germany in Semis or Italy vs. France in the final ? 

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Since 1986 Argentina and Netherlands have been playing the most enjoyable football on the global stage for me. The 1978 WC final is a somewhat forgotten gem, Netherlands should have really won that game, pretty much like Portugal should have won the 1984 Euro SF vs France.

If they did, they might have had some serious safety issues trying to get out...we think the Qatar World Cup is an atrocity, but often forget that there was already a World Cup final played a couple hundred meters from where people were being tortured and killed.

Rob Rensenbrink, who passed away in January, had that trophy basically in his hands in the dying seconds :( 

Well if we're not counting finals only, as the TT suggests, I'm going for Germany's humiliation of Brazil and the Dutch humiliation/revenge on Spain :d 

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

2018 is definitely up there, six goals in a World Cup final :cheer: 2014 and especially 2010 were top-notch snoozefests, 2010 only stayed interesting for me because of the teams in it :p  I don't remember 2006 being interesting apart from Zidane being a pathetic little moron and 2002 and before that were too early for me to have watched :d 

i chose Italy vs. France out of the 5 finals i saw because always having penalties in the final match of WC is something really interesting and it wasn't anyhow boring match at least better than this 2010 final which i can only remember this Iniesta's Goal and those 2 big chances missed by Robben :raspberry: , maybe 2014 was the best , but i thought that i already have a lot of matches that Germany involved in , so it'd be better to mention others as well :d for 2018 i really really liked this tournament it was the best for me out of those 5 i watched live , but unfortunately France ended things really early that match in the 1st 15 minutes of 2nd half