website statistics

Pan American Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 06/10/2020 at 16:53, intoronto said:

@mrv86 @Olympian1010

Have heard that squash, bowling, racquetball and basque pelota have been added now to the Santiago 2023 program. Sport climbing has also been added. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1102075/sport-climbing-santiago-2023-debut

Now confirmed

• 2 months later...

According to World Sailing, there will be 12 events in the sport: https://www.sailing.org/news/90823.php#.YE1uUi076-o

Sunfish has been split into gender categories, instead of remaining an “open” event.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

According to World Sailing, there will be 12 events in the sport: https://www.sailing.org/news/90823.php#.YE1uUi076-o

Sunfish has been split into gender categories, instead of remaining an “open” event.

Incoherent and unnecessary change in my opinion. They should have changes 470 instead of Snipe for mixed dinghy

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

Incoherent and unnecessary change in my opinion. They should have changes 470 instead of Snipe for mixed dinghy

Snipe has been an event at every Pan American Games (save Mexico City 1955 when Sailing wasn’t held). I’d be a shame to lose such an historic event. I think the Sailing program should look as follows:

Kiteboard - Men

Kiteboard - Women

Kiteboard Relay - Mixed (Only because it’s Olympic and doesn’t require extra quotas)

Windsurfer - Men

Windsurfer - Women

One Person Dinghy - Men

One Person Dinghy - Women

Two Person Dinghy - Mixed (Snipe, not 470)

Two Person Skiff - Men

Two Person Skiff - Women

Two Person Multihull - Mixed

If there is room for a 12th event, then it should either be Lightning (another storied event at the Pan American Games) or an Offshore event.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I wonder which event will lose quotas now. 

And surprising the Junior Pan Ams are adding quotas.

Last time there was 7 boats in Lightning and 13 Sunfish. I’d just subtract one boat from Lightning, and then add three boats to Sunfish (8 per gender now).

Of course those numbers were after reallocation, so it’s not that straight forward. Sunfish originally had 12 quotas, Lightning originally had 8. So since there’s already limited interest in Lightning, I’d take two boats (6 athletes) from that events, and give 4 to Sunfish (8 per gender now), and then 2 kiteboard (14 total now, so probably still need to find 2 athlete elsewhere. You could take a quota each from the laser events since they both got an additional quota courtesy of Junior Pan Ams, and then you’re at 16 total (8 teams)).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...