website statistics

Sport Climbing IFSC American Championships 2020

Totallympics

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yip should have qualified earlier, it's unfortunate she had to take a spot from one of the South American competitors.

Yeah, everyone not Yip was completely distraught. I’ve never been in an environment like that. I really felt for Contreras because she was the real favorite for the quota. She was very nice, and kind enough to give me interview just as she was about to leave the venue as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

hace 1 hora, JoshMartini007 dijo:

Yip should have qualified earlier, it's unfortunate she had to take a spot from one of the South American competitors.

Why is it unfortunate? Their level is really poor and Argentina/Chile have another hundred of athletes qualified. Better this way than spend money on a olympic tourist. 

58 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Why is it unfortunate? Their level is really poor and Argentina/Chile have another hundred of athletes qualified. Better this way than spend money on a olympic tourist. 

Contreras and Aguado are actually very good climbers. I had actually pegged them as the favorites to qualify today. Yip was a surprise winner for me (despite her being more well known than the other two)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, it’s past midnight here, but I’m finally finished. Here’s a comprehensive review of today’s action complete with athlete interviews: https://games24.totallympics.com/?p=1812

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Contreras and Aguado are actually very good climbers. I had actually pegged them as the favorites to qualify today. Yip was a surprise winner for me (despite her being more well known than the other two)

naaa, she's been on another level through those last few seasons...

looking at the starting field, imho it was only her to lose the Olympic quota in this tournament, but finally she filled her contract and booked her Olympic participation...

I'm more curious to see how the men's event is going to develop...it should be closer than the women's, even if Bailey is the big favourite on paper...

Bailey should win, his biggest threat would be bouldering as I doubt he'll finish any lower the second in lead. The athlete with the best chance to match him points total is Granja, but he'll need to have a better bouldering and lead performance. I guess Duffy also has a chance too

Alrighty, we’re about an hour out from day two. I’ll be “live tweeting” again, and you can expect another comprehensive review. I’m just hanging in the press room writing a few articles, but I think it might be time to go and explore the venue and outdoor festival a bit.

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Alrighty, we’re about an hour out from day two. I’ll be “live tweeting” again, and you can expect another comprehensive review. I’m just hanging in the press room writing a few articles, but I think it might be time to go and explore the venue and outdoor festival a bit.

TAKE/BUY MEMORABILIAS - pins, t-shirt, whatever there is and will make you remember the competition. Collect papers with results. If you happen to see some bib/start number - take it (after the competition! :p ). A banner. A poster promoting the competition. Ask for a stone from the wall (if they are not going to use it for the next competition - like the broken one at the Worlds - I'd surely walk in the direction of the guy who took it off and ask for it).

Edited by Vojthas