website statistics

Proposals for Continental Olympic Qualifications

Olympian1010

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So far the best solution: Put AUS/NZL in Asia, move SEA to Oceania. Both regions get team qualification and individual qualification.

My next question/suggestion. Would it be better to make another qualification region out North Africa and the Middle East? This could encourage greater African participation in sports.

Too much bickering. There are only FIVE Olympic rings in the damn IOC flag :p  If you want 10 qualification regions or sth then better change the damn flag!

Other than Israel competing from Europe let's leave all this Middle East, Southeast Asia crap aside. Most popular team sports have a strong presence in Europe and that's unlikely to change.

7 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Olympics are for the top athletes and few invitational place.

I totally agree. It's already pretty bad as is with many weak nations earning free passes, especially in individual sports. I would award universal places in athletics and swimming for most (probably all) nations and severely restrict the number of invitational places in other sports. And I am not favorable to any invitational place in team sports. I don't want to watch a match in football where New Zealand loses 8 to 0. I have better things to do with my life.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Too much bickering. There are only FIVE Olympic rings in the damn IOC flag :p  If you want 10 qualification regions or sth then better change the damn flag!

Other than Israel competing from Europe let's leave all this Middle East, Southeast Asia crap aside. Most popular team sports have a strong presence in Europe and that's unlikely to change.

It’s the Olympic Games, not the European Games...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

I totally agree. It's already pretty bad as is with many weak nations earning free passes, especially in individual sports. I would award universal places in athletics and swimming for most (probably all) nations and severely restrict the number of invitational places in other sports. And I am not favorable to any invitational place in team sports. I don't want to watch a match in football where New Zealand loses 8 to 0. I have better things to do with my life.

Right, but of what I’m trying to do is encourage greater participation in sports, and greater representation. Why should any Oceania nations try, when they know AUS/NZL will beat them?

Every continent should be represented at the Olympic Games. I’m not a fan of countries having multiple athletes either, but that’s a conversation for another time.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Vojthas said:

One place for each of the continents, one for host and the rest for the best in the world. What's wrong in that system?

No, that’s what I’m saying. I’m just trying to come up with ways to equal out the in-balance between the continents. Realistically, the Olympics should be free entry, but it’s just not possible. 

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

No, that’s what I’m saying. I’m just trying to come up with ways to equal out the in-balance between the continents. Realistically, the Olympics should be free entry, but it’s just not possible. 

There will never be equality in pro sports. I hope you complain so much when we have 4 Americans & 3 Jamaicans in the 100m dash final again :lol:

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

It's not Europe's fault team sports are not as popular in Asia or Oceania (other than cricket or rugby) :lol:

Basketball, Baseball, Football, and Volleyball are all popular in both Asia and Oceania. Rugby is hugely popular in Oceania. Handball is quite popular in Western Asia. Artistic Swimming enjoys popularity in East Asia. 

Sadly until we create a system where 200+ nations can participate there's always going to be someone missing out. It's unfair to make things easier for Pacific nations by removing Australia/New Zealand while doing nothing to help the small states of Europe or smaller Caribbean nations in Pan America, etc (or by creating a very complicated qualification system that essentially makes the tripartite commission redundant).

While a lot of continental quotas do end up going to the big nations from each continent it's still better for the smaller nations than the alternative of not having continental quotas.