website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Conference League 2023 - 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, avlar said:

I liked that Fiorentina squad - with Batistuta and Rui Costa. That was one of my favorite teams in Serie A. But they did not win the title too (((

Yes, that team was very strong, just like that. e.g. Parma. Parma was even better because it won several European cups. Serie A was the best on the World in the late 1990s. Currently there is some progress compared to 10 years ago but there is still a miss a triumph (2 cups for Roma and now Atalanta since 2010 that's a bit low). Fiorentina must to win in finals like yesterday. Yes, they should have bought better strikers but they were able to reach the final two years for a row with the current squad and objectively Olympiacos has a much worse squad on paper. In my opinion, it's more of a psychological thing.

Edited by copravolley

57 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Thank you! Slava Ukraini!

Panathinaikos fans have been bragging about 1971 ever since, and they even now are trying to downplay Conference League and say it is "Intertoto" or "Milko Cup" (Milko is a Greek brand of chocolate milk so they do it in a way to make it seem unserious). Anyways, many people who support thew rival teams were happy for Olympiacos, of course there will always be haters though :p

We are also now one of 8 countries who have won a European trophy both with the national team and with a club team, joining :ITA :FRA :GER :NED :RUS :ESP :POR, an incredible achievement for our country compared to these footballing giants, even :ENG aren't on that list :yikes:

I envy Greece's efficiency :P They rarely reach the finals but when they get there, they win, for example, Greece on Euro 2004. In Italy also tried to downplay winning for AS Roma the Conference League in 2022.

Here's a nice celebration and say goodbye to Sven Goran Eriksson in Rome, who was the coach of another great team from those years: Lazio. Unfortunately, both Lazio, Parma and Fiorentina fell into financial trouble at the beginning of the 21st century and never returned to their former years. Lazio hasn't fall that low but it's not the team it used to be. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPjEcUxnGE

9 hours ago, copravolley said:

I envy Greece's efficiency :P They rarely reach the finals but when they get there, they win, for example, Greece on Euro 2004. In Italy also tried to downplay winning for AS Roma the Conference League in 2022.

For us qualifying is harder than finals apparently :lol:

On 5/30/2024 at 2:43 PM, Makedonas said:

Thank you! Slava Ukraini!

Panathinaikos fans have been bragging about 1971 ever since, and they even now are trying to downplay Conference League and say it is "Intertoto" or "Milko Cup" (Milko is a Greek brand of chocolate milk so they do it in a way to make it seem unserious). Anyways, many people who support thew rival teams were happy for Olympiacos, of course there will always be haters though :p

We are also now one of 8 countries who have won a European trophy both with the national team and with a club

Herojam Slava! I think it is a moment to unite all the coubtry!

Interseting list. I have never seen it.

By the way, can we add one more country - Czechoslovakia :CZE:SVK ?

23 hours ago, copravolley said:

Yes, that team was very strong, just like that. e.g. Parma. Parma was even better because it won several European cups. Serie A was the best on the World in the late 1990s. Currently there is some progress compared to 10 years ago but there is still a miss a triumph (2 cups for Roma and now Atalanta since 2010 that's a bit low). Fiorentina must to win in finals like yesterday. Yes, they should have bought better strikers but they were able to reach the final two years for a row with the current squad and objectively Olympiacos has a much worse squad on paper. In my opinion, it's more of a psychological thing.

Yes, Parma was really strong and won a trpophy against Antwerpen.

I think, that the cornerstone of that good old football was the rule, that no more than 3 foreign players can be at the field at the same time in one team. That made more teams really competitive.

22 hours ago, avlar said:

Herojam Slava! I think it is a moment to unite all the coubtry!

Interseting list. I have never seen it.

By the way, can we add one more country - Czechoslovakia :CZE:SVK ?

I'm not sure, because I think UEFA counts the Euro win as :CZE only

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

I'm not sure, because I think UEFA counts the Euro win as :CZE only

which is quite weird since there were 8 slovaks and 3 czechs in that final match... but, yeah we are used to it. Czechia was always everywhere for some reason considered as the successor state...

image.png