website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Well, Dorothea Wierer is the first female biathlete who defends the overall WC globe since Magdalena Forsberg in 2002 (that was her sixth in a row).

Excellent reason to like women's biathlon more than men's biathlon. Don't care much who the athlete is, but if one wins 5+ globes in a row it gets a little boring, no matter how fantastic the performance is :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

She's bringing me close enough to the Dark Side, I won't let her totally turn me :d 

I'll stay who I am, and if liking or not liking an athlete based on things one hears or sees is part of that, so be it :p 

Well this confidence comes from physical presence too. These girls know they're very easy on the eye and don't shade away from the attention.

You'd probably hate the Polish ES coverage when they mention Wierer's make-up or eyelashes 150 times during the season :lol:

With Tomasz Sikora replacing the older guy from last season they've toned down the beauty remarks though as Sikora has some strictly biathlon trivia to share.

oh, man! what a race and what a season's end for wintersports (and biathlon in particular)...

I still can't slow down my heartbeat...

and even if I'm enjoying Wierer's success, I kinda feel sad for Tiril, too...

I think she's been the best through the entire season, but she totally messed up the world champs and because of that also compromised the final world cup result for herself...

by the way, great mental effort by Wierer...today it was really difficult to manage this situation, but I think she did a masterpiece under the circumstances...

last thought, a big thanks to Martin Fourcade and Kaisa Makarainen for everything they gave to the sport through all these years...I'll miss them (Kaisa more than Martin, obviously)...

Edited by phelps

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Excellent reason to like women's biathlon more than men's biathlon. Don't care much who the athlete is, but if one wins 5+ globes in a row it gets a little boring, no matter how fantastic the performance is :p 

Then again, Wallin/Forsberg was the big choker at the Olympics so it wasn't all that boring back then :p

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well this confidence comes from physical presence too. These girls know they're very easy on the eye and don't shade away from the attention.

Absolutely. Thing is, with some - like Wierer - they come across like this is their main thing and in anything they project to the world, it's all about them. Having the luck of their looks makes it way easier to make people like them, of course, and it makes it easier to make sure people get angry if other people don't like them because of their behaviour :p 

The contrast couldn't be bigger between interviews right now on TV: first the extremely humble Makarainen, followed by Wierer.

Anyway. And just to be clear: you'll never hear me say Wierer isn't a great biathlete. Like her, don't like her, doesn't matter, it would simply be a lie to deny she is a fantastic athlete.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Absolutely. Thing is, with some - like Wierer - they come across like this is their main thing and in anything they project to the world, it's all about them. Having the luck of their looks makes it way easier to make people like them, of course, and it makes it easier to make sure people get angry if other people don't like them because of their behaviour :p 

The contrast couldn't be bigger between interviews right now on TV: first the extremely humble Makarainen, followed by Wierer.

Anyway.

Italians are probably more outgoing in public than Scandinavians (even those from South Tyrol). I mean Finland is like the last country I'd expect people to show emotions (unless you count Kimi Raikkonen trolling the FIA gala on stage while clearly being drunk ;) ).

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Italians are probably more outgoing in public than Scandinavians (even those from South Tyrol). I mean Finland is like the last country I'd expect people to show emotions (unless you count Kimi Raikkonen trolling the FIA gala on stage while clearly being drunk ;) ).

But Makarainen very much shows emotions. It's just coming across more 'real' to me, but that's my opinion :)

Just now, Monzanator said:

IBU has a Rookie of the Year Award? :mumble:

Congrats, Elvira Oeberg :p

Nikita Porshnev this year apparently, that's....odd :d Not much of a surprise on the women's side, she deserved it.

So, literally eveyone gets a globe to take home except for Hanna Oeberg? Have to say poor Hanna is the biggest loser of the season (outside of Vittozzi who started the season really bad though).

Okay, Oeberg gets the individual globe too.

So Vittozzi is the real loser of the season :whistle:

Edited by Monzanator