website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

if I had to predict before the competition I would get 7 out of 10 gold medalists right. the guy I would pick for gold at 57, 92 and 97 ended up with the silver.

but about the super heavyweight final, both Akgul and Geno are great, two of the best SHW wrestlers in the history and it's always great watching them. but it looks like Geno is fading, he is 29 but he is getting weaker, I'm not sure if he could make it to the final if he had to wrestle Meshvildishvili or Conyedo. 

Congrats to Tajmuraz for his 3rd consecutive European Champion title :yes

Going to repeat myself for the gazillionth time but I really hope the guy will finally qualify for the Olympics and fight there to fullfil his dream. He really deserve it (yes, I am speaking about the state very big financial award to our Olympic medalists which literally change lifes of small sports athletes here) He really deserve it for everything he did for our wrestling and still received back only very limited recognition or any at all.

-gYktkuTURBXy82OTMyNjRlYy1iYWY0LTRlNzMtY

Edited by hckošice

and two days after...came surprisingly first huge unexpected reward. Probably for the first time since Musulbes medal in Beijing.

We have Wrestling in the first page of our biggest Sport newspaper :d

Zlato pre nevestu (Gold for bride :d)  right under Football : Milan Škriniar je po operácii (Škriniar underwent surgery) and next to Ice Hockey : NT humiliation from the Czechs yesterday and HC Košice one win from the national Slovak title.

So, yeah, that is what I call an achievement. getting wrestling on the front page of Slovak newspaper is absolutely insane science fiction :yes

rWRing3gSjGiE9nZVXD7FQ.jpg?st=qWyZFNUAWL

Edited by hckošice

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

and two days after...came surprisingly first huge unexpected reward. Probably for the first time since Musulbes medal in Beijing.

We have Wrestling in the first page of our biggest Sport newspaper :d

Zlato pre nevestu (Gold for bride :d)  right under Football : Milan Škriniar je po operácii (Škriniar underwent surgery) and next to Ice Hockey : NT humiliation from the Czechs yesterday and HC Košice one win from the national Slovak title.

So, yeah, that is what I call an achievement. getting wrestling on the front page of Slovak newspaper is absolutely insane science fiction :yes

rWRing3gSjGiE9nZVXD7FQ.jpg?st=qWyZFNUAWL

I'm sure you already know, but you also got the privilege of a live broadcast on a National TV (even if if not RTVS, it was on Arena Sport, which is broadcasting also the Weightlifting Europeans). :yikes:

it's the first time I see Wrestling live on a Slovak/Czech TV channel outside the Olympics. ;)

31 minutes ago, phelps said:

I'm sure you already know, but you also got the privilege of a live broadcast on a National TV (even if if not RTVS, it was on Arena Sport, which is broadcasting also the Weightlifting Europeans). :yikes:

yes, I saw it too, but you know, Arena Sport viewership is very low in Slovakia, I really doubt the general public outside the diehard fanbase even noticed this championship is taking place, so very good to see the Šport newspaper promoting Tajmuraz so well today. I already can see plenty of casual Slovaks just discovering the guy today thanks to that

4 hours ago, hckošice said:

yes, I saw it too, but you know, Arena Sport viewership is very low in Slovakia, I really doubt the general public outside the diehard fanbase even noticed this championship is taking place, so very good to see the Šport newspaper promoting Tajmuraz so well today. I already can see plenty of casual Slovaks just discovering the guy today thanks to that

so, you're saying that I'm a diehard Slovak Sport fan and I'm watching AS more than the average Slovak people...:lol:

Women’s Freestyle Results 

Women’s 50kg

Gold- Mariya Stadnik :AZE 

Silver- Oksana Livach :UKR 

Bronze- Evin Demirhan :TUR 

Bronze- Emanuela Liuzzi :ITA  

Women’s 53kg

Gold- Jonna Malmgren :SWE 

Silver- Stalvira Orshush :HUN 

Bronze- Zeynep Yetgil :TUR 

Bronze- Maria Prevolaraki :GRE 

Women’s 55kg

Gold- Andreea Ana :ROU 

Silver- Erika Bognár :HUN 

Bronze- Tatiana Debien :FRA  

Bronxe- Katarzyna Krawczyk :POL 

Women’s 57kg

Gold- Alina Hrushnya :UKR 

Silver- Zhala Aliyeva :AZE 

Bronze- Evelina Nikolova :BUL 

Bronze- Elena Brugger :GER 

Women’s 59kg

Gold- Anastasia Nichita :MDA

Silver- Yuliya Tkach :UKR 

Bronze- Othelie Høie :NOR 

Bronze- Sandra Paruszewski :GER 

Women’s 62kg

Gold- Iryna Koliadenko :UKR 

Silver- Grace Bullen :NOR  

Bronze- Luisa Niemesch :GER 

Bronze- Bilyana Dudova :BUL 

Women’s 65kg

Gold- Mimi Hristova :BUL

Silver- Irina Rîngaci :MDA

Bronze- Kristza Incze :ROU 

Bronze- Tetiana Rizkho :UKR 

Women’s 68kg

Gold- Yuliana Yaneva :BUL  

Silver- Alla Belinska :UKR  

Bronze- Nesrin Baş :TUR 

Bronze- Koumba Larroque :FRA 

Women’s 72kg

Gold- Alexandra Anghel :ROU 

Silver- Buse Tosun :TUR 

Bronze- Dalma Caneva :ITA 

Bronze- Pauline Lecarpentier :FRA 

Women’s 76kg

Gold- Yasemin Adar :TUR

Silver- Martina Kuenz :AUT 

Bronze- Cătălina Axente :ROU  

Bronze- Cynthia Vescan :FRA 

Full Results Here

So we ended with 3 medals (I don't think we'll win anything in GR).

I'm not sure what to say about Kurugliev's gold medal. I am against naturalising athletes and was always proud that Greece in the last 20 years really did not do this, unlike other countries, but now we are guilty of it too but it's still hard for me to celebrate. However, in wrestling everyone does it, I mean even countries like Serbia and Slovakia, so I guess it's not the end of the world if we do it once.

Silver for Kougioumtsidis is a great result as he is only 21 yo. Of course he won gold last year but I'm still happy with this.

Prevolaraki winning bronze is a bit disappointing. This is her 7th European medal but she has still never won gold. She said she will stop after Paris 2024, so she'll only have one more chance to win a European gold I guess...