website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

10 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Well, I think it will be hard for other countries to match our star power! 

Lol, probably the Star power exists only in Greece. I had no idea who that guy was. Sakkari I know a forgotten tennis player, thought she retired already.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Biathlonfan said:

I'm not trying to star any shit here but the guy is from India.....do they care about the nba/basketball there ? that's cricket/wwe 

i think other sports are popular in India like tennis, not sure about basketball 

Edited by Dkats

4 minutes ago, Dkats said:

i think other sports are popular in India like tennis, not sure about basketball 

i'm pretty sure basketball is not big there,i see a lot of indians whenever there athletes are present in athletics meetings  when there livestreamed,athletics certainly got more popular there after the javelin win in tokyo.

I don't think Yulimar Rojas is going to carry the Venezuelan flag by the way :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Faramir said:

Come on guys, even not following NBA that much, there is no doubt that Giannis would be by far the most known name among those announced as flag bearers until now.

Yeah, let's say when looking at how many countries there are were at least a few people have heard of the name, Antetokounmpo would probably be number one indeed. Although in most countries I do think a large majority of people have no idea who he is, but of course that's the same with everyone who is not like Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps or nowadays possibly (just possibly) Simone Biles. Keep in mind generally a majority of people just don't really follow sports besides the one or two that are most popular in their country (in many cases football, annoyingly :p).

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)

Well in the end Giannis Antetokounmpo was chosen with...Antigoni Drisbioti.

Apparently, it was agreed that Giannis would be the male flag bearer and there was a vote between Drisbioti, Sakkari, Evangelia Platanioti, and Margarita Plevritou and Drisbioti won the vote.

I think it's very random and even some of the other voting options were random. Girls like Teltsidou, Kaztouraki, and Gkountoura who have chances for medals would've been better in my opinion. Or Tzengko even but I guess having two children of immigrants as the flag bearers would've seemed too political.

Sakkari is ranked higher than Drisbioti, is more well known, was closer to winning a medal than Drisbioti in the past, and has a better chance of winning one in Paris than all the others except maybe Plevritou.

Drisbioti gave a sob story to the Greek media a few years ago about not receiving support (which I agree with btw) and she became known and it became trendy to support her (I like her too but think it's excessive, and people probably don't realise that most of her big medals were in a non-Olympic category), but she is good at walking which she will need to do at the opening ceremony so :p

Edited by Makedonas

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

but she is good at walking which she will need to do at the opening ceremony so :p

There might not be a lot of walking to do during a boat parade :d

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela