website statistics

Supporting Small and Lesser Known Nations at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

21 minutes ago, owenp_23 said:

:GUM Manami Iijima places 9th out of 16 at the Africa Triathlon Cup event at Swakopmund, Namibia.

Earlier this year, she participated at the Oceania Triathlon Cup race at Taupo, New Zealand where she took 12th out of 25 finishers.

Iijima has a World Ranking of 263 and is currently on the Start List for the next Africa Cup event in Zimbabwe on Saturday.

Nice find. With Australia and New Zealand qualifying naturally, all she needs to do is have a World (not Olympic) ranking of 180 or higher by the deadline.

Kimberley Le Court de Billot :MRI won the Women’s Cape Epic along with her teammate Vera Looser :NAM. They had a handy 30+ minutes margin over the second place team in the general classification, who had some mechanical and injury issues. 

Le Court took a bronze medal on the road earlier this year in the women’s time trial at the African Road Cycling Championships. She came top 10 in the road race as well. She was also one of only five riders to complete the women’s cross country race in mountain biking at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. 

Definitely a rider with a shot of qualifying in mountain biking, but she’ll need to beat the South Africans or hope one of them qualifies by world ranking. 

:MRI cycling is arguably in a good place at the continental level. There is a fair chance they get a women’s road cycling quota, but that would likely go to Aurelie Halbwachs. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to bring some life back into this thread. 

Myles Amine :SMR won silver at the European Wrestling Championships (M -86kg Freestyle) losing to Greece’s Dauren Kurugliev by VPO1 3-1 in the final. 

Amine is a Tokyo 2020 Olympic bronze medalist, a gold medalist at the Budapest 2022 European Championships, a bronze medalist at the Minsk 2019 European Games, a gold medalist at the 2022 Oran Mediterranean Games, and achieved a 5th place finish the Nur-Sultan 2019 Worlds, and an 8th place finish at the Belgrade 2022 Worlds. 

Amine will have three opportunities to qualify for Paris 2024. His first will come at the Belgrade World Championships (Sep 16-24, 2023), his second will come at the 2024 European Qualification Tournament (Location TBD, expected to be held from April 4-7, 2024.), and his third and final chance will come at the Final Olympic Qualification Tournament (Location TBD, expected to be held from May 9-12, 2024.)

For Amine, if he keeps this up I would think qualification is almost guaranteed, and it’s more-so a question of “When will he qualify for the Olympics and can he get back on that podium” rather than “Will he qualify for the Olympics”. 

Edited by Josh

• 6 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 9:48 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

Nice find. With Australia and New Zealand qualifying naturally, all she needs to do is have a World (not Olympic) ranking of 180 or higher by the deadline.

https://triathlon.org/athletes/results/165494/manami_iijima World Triathlon Rankings: 178 :hyper:

:WHT Refugee Athlete Tesfay Felfele is in the entry list for the Valencia Marathon happening December 3.

With a PB of 2:13 set four years ago, he hasnt compete in a marathon since. With a HM personal best of 1:03 set in 2021, he's on the road for a new marathon Personal Best. And who knows, maybe an Olympic ticket?

6 hours ago, Jur said:

I've been keeping an eye on her for a while. I'm glad she's reached the cut, now she just needs to maintain her ranking.

Another triathlete to watch is :CAM Margot Garabedian, she recently switched from France to Cambodia. She is currently ranked 177 and will likely go for one of the tripartite quotas. As long as she stays above 180 she will likely get it, there are two tripartite quotas available and the only other eligible athlete without a quota is :BER Erica Hawley and I'm not 100% sure they want to give Bermuda a second quota since Flora Duffy will likely qualify naturally.

50 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I've been keeping an eye on her for a while. I'm glad she's reached the cut, now she just needs to maintain her ranking.

Another triathlete to watch is :CAM Margot Garabedian, she recently switched from France to Cambodia. She is currently ranked 177 and will likely go for one of the tripartite quotas. As long as she stays above 180 she will likely get it, there are two tripartite quotas available and the only other eligible athlete without a quota is :BER Erica Hawley and I'm not 100% sure they want to give Bermuda a second quota since Flora Duffy will likely qualify naturally.

And :BER also has a male, Tyler Smith, in Tripartite Quota place, and he's the only one eligible if I havent miscalculated.