website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Tournament at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

hckošice

:POL beats :UKR 6-1.

Ukraine must have fallen on hard times. I remember the days when we were the underdogs playing them :mumble:  I suppose that has a lot to do with the War in Donbas, most ice hockey players were Russian-speaking from the eastern part of the country?

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

:POL beats :UKR 6-1.

Ukraine must have fallen on hard times. I remember the days when we were the underdogs playing them :mumble:  I suppose that has a lot to do with the War in Donbas, most ice hockey players were Russian-speaking from the eastern part of the country?

That´s more deeper problem, but basically they are very weak now. 

the last generations that grew up under the Soviet hockey system are long gone now. After the disintegration of the USSR in Ukraine they just stopped working with hockey, the whole system fell, little money and quite surprisingly little media attention or popularity for hockey (if we talk about the country of the former USSR) are the main reasons, after the retirement of the last USSR school generation finished somewhere around the end of the previous decade, Ukraine had to rally on new generation of players that grew up after the collapse of the USSR.  I am very worried that Ukrainian hockey will have more and more troubles already in the near future.

The other main issue is Donbass Donetsk is (or was) basically the only place where the "better" new generation Ukrainian hockey players could show up, but since the club left KHL they completely lost any contact with some solid competition.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

That´s more deeper problem, but basically they are very weak now. 

the last generations that grew up under the Soviet hockey system are long gone now. After the disintegration of the USSR in Ukraine they just stopped working with hockey, the whole system fell, little money and quite surprisingly little media attention or popularity for hockey (if we talk about the country of the former USSR) are the main reasons, after the retirement of the last USSR school generation finished somewhere around the end of the previous decade, Ukraine had to rally on new generation of players that grew up after the collapse of the USSR.  I am very worried that Ukrainian hockey will have more and more troubles already in the near future.

The other main issue is Donbass Donetsk is (or was) basically the only place where the "better" new generation Ukrainian hockey players could show up, but since the club left KHL they completely lost any contact with some solid competition.

It was what, ca. 2009-2011 when Ukraine played in the Division A? They were like Russia B double if Kazakhstan is also Russia B until today like they are in tennis as well. I suppose some of the best Ukrainian juniors switch nationality to Russia, that enables them to have a great career in KHL even if they have no shot of making the Russian NT. I don't know how it works in KHL with double nationality? I suppose players with a single Ukrainian passport aren't exactly welcome there?

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It was what, ca. 2009-2011 when Ukraine played in the Division A? They were like Russia B double if Kazakhstan is also Russia B until today like they are in tennis as well. I suppose some of the best Ukrainian juniors switch nationality to Russia, that enables them to have a great career in KHL even if they have no shot of making the Russian NT. I don't know how it works in KHL with double nationality? I suppose players with a single Ukrainian passport aren't exactly welcome there?

Exactly 2007 is their last ever top division appearance after almost 10 consecutive years in the elite led by the great group of players around Shakhraychuk and co. (even qualifying to the 2002 Olympics), since then they never returned back, now they are in I B division, but I am really worrying this (and if not the next one-two) can be easily their last year in a division I for a long time.

There absolutely no problems for foreigners in KHL, The issue is with the Russian hockey federation to try to reduce the quotas for foreign players in Russian clubs, actually if I´m not wrong it should be 7 foreigners per team. And about Ukrainian players It´s not they are not welcomed in KHL, their problem is they right now do not have the required quality for KHL. sadly.

The other problem is that it is really hard for Ukraine to attract young kids to hockey in this situation, last well known example is Oleksiy Myklukha who was predicted to be one of the biggest talents of Ukrainian hockey. But seeing there really not many bright future for him in UKR his father and himelf decided to ask for Slovak citizenship when he was 15. They moved here and now Oleksiy play in our U18 NT and is expected to be even our higher next year NHL draft pick.

ROAD TO BEIJING 2022

3rd QUALIFYING ROUND

DAY 2 RESULTS #1

Round-Robin
February 6th - February 9th, 2020
12 Nations, 3 Groups, the 1st Nation from each Group will
qualify for the Final Qualifying Round

Group H
Alma-Ata Time (GMT +6)

Poland :POL  6 - 1  :UKR Ukraine
Period-by-Period: 1-1, 2-0, 3-0
February 7th 2020, h. 15:00, Barys Arena, Nur-Sultan