website statistics

Breaking

Josh

Canada’s Phil Wizard wins gold at the 2022 WDSF Breaking World Championships, a great chance for him to win a medal at the Olympics in a sport that will be making it’s debut. 

This “sport” doesn’t deserve to be in the Olympics though anyways, so I don’t care, and come the 2024 Olympics I probably won’t be watching. 

While I disagreed with them adding breaking to 2024 due to the lack of international competition, since then the WDSF has done a great job at promoting it. Just look at how many nations took part at the World Championships.

I always felt that dancing should be part of the Olympics, but just like they did with skateboarding, I doubt the IOC will include the more standard dances in future games.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:46 PM, NearPup said:

Eh, I like Breaking as a spectator event so will def be watching even though I don’t believe it should be in the Olympics.

Here’s how I put it: In my mind, breaking isn’t a sport. It is an art. There is no concrete evidence to ever suggest one dancer is better than another. There is no set technique for the B-Boys/B-Girls to follow, and there is no definition of a “good dancer”. 

Edited by Josh

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Josh said:

Philip Kim wins silver at the Breaking World Championships, just missing out on a Paris quota, but he’ll most likely qualify anyways. Third consecutive medal for him, after silver in 2021, and gold in 2022. 

I looked him up a few days ago in anticipation of this competition.  Canada usually does well in new sports at the Olympics, until other countries catch up.  Hoping he can continue his success in Paris, but I feel like new sports with ambiguous scoring usually have "interesting" winners at the Olympics, often to attract certain big market countries (look at the USA in snowboard slopestyle in 2014).