website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

4 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

There is no quota in pt obviously, and I remember when the first black players started to appear in the national team, I think in early 2000s, many people got racist about it, as in “what is this team? Angola or Cape Verde?”

which I always found ironic because before Ronaldo our most iconic football player is someone black that was not even from Portugal (Eusebio, from Mozambique, which was Portuguese at that time but let’s be real, it was a colony), and people loved (and love) him like a god (he’s buried in our “heroes temple” in Lisbon together with kings and navigators).

I think this is also because although we have a big black community, they’re concentrated in suburbs of Lisbon alone mostly (in my home town actually) so the rest of the country still finds it difficult to see it as normal.

but I have to recognize that nowadays is much better, there are still those racism dudes , but less than before, I think.

eusebio has also been described  as "the european Pele"

15 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

As Portuguese who is aware of the reason why there are so many black people in Brasil , I’m gonna slowly get out of the conversation :whistle:

and in Equador, Colombia and Venezuela as well. In Guyana and Suriname also they reach about 30% of population (black people of Netherlands come from Suriname)

May be an image of 1 person, standing and text that says 'adidas adiC adidas'

May be an image of 1 person, standing, outdoors and text that says 'H N S'

In 2006 Argentina played a friendly mtch with Croatia which ended 3-2 for Croatian side , 18 ys Messi scored his debut international goal and 20 ys Modric made his 1st international debut , lionel Scaloni the currenct coach of Argentina was an unused substitute 

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

So from the semifinal they will use new balls, because players were not satisfied with the previous one...sport of pussies seriously :p

no it was mentioned before start of WC , there'll be a ball for 1st rounds until quarterfinals called journey and the ball for Finals called the Dream 

14 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

no it was mentioned before start of WC , there'll be a ball for 1st rounds until quarterfinals called journey and the ball for Finals called the Dream 

Oh ok, I missed this news then.

I found multiple slovak and czech (probably just some copy/paste article from foreign agency) articles claiming it was because of complains of players, including the Kane missed penalty

by googling in english I found this indian newsite...so I guess it is all just a hoax then :d

https://newsroompost.com/sports/fifa-world-cup-2022-al-hilm-replaces-al-rihla-as-official-ball-for-semis-finals/5214930.html

1 hour ago, George_D said:

(black people of Netherlands come from Suriname)

And the Antilles :p

To relate this to sports: Antilles you mostly see in athletics or baseball, while Suriname you see significantly more in things like kickboxing, where the world was dominated for years by Suriname-Dutch athletes like Tyrone Spong, Ernesto Hoost, Remy Bonjasky etc.

In football...there isn't really anything specific, as far as it's important (which it of course isn't).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And more related to the World Cup: what's the referee situation? I know Orsato will do Argentina - Croatia, and Makkelie is still in the pool of referees that's left (but no specific assignment yet), but who else are left?

Oh and Lahoz is sent home, unsurprisingly.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

And more related to the World Cup: what's the referee situation? I know Orsato will do Argentina - Croatia, and Makkelie is still in the pool of referees that's left (but no specific assignment yet), but who else are left?

Oh and Lahoz is sent home, unsurprisingly.

Lahoz was never getting another game after QF even if he didn't completely suck.

Here is the second list of retained refs:

AFC: al-Jassim (QAT), Muhammad (UAE)
-CAF: Ghorbal (ALG)
-CONCACAF: Ramos (MEX), Elfath (USA)
-CONMEBOL: Claus (BRA), Sampaio (BRA), Valenzuela (VEN)
-UEFA: Taylor (ENG), Orsato (ITA) Makkelie (NED), Marciniak (POL)

Makkelie or Marciniak will get the FRA vs MOR semi-final and Cesar Ramos probably gets the final IMO.

The AFC refs will work the 3rd place playoff (one as 4O).