website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2024

Totallympics

Just now, Roamingrover86 said:

Het wilhelmus  ain’t that bad either. Flower of scotland has very passionate lyrics & highly emotional. But there are other anthems which are equally good if not better

It depends on your preferences of course. Flower of Scotland for me is probably number one: it's truly a fighting song, not so old it makes no sense anymore (the Dutch), not just some lame 'our country is the best' thing (USA), just generating a feeling of 'lets go!'. And for singing along, it has a perfect pace, not too fast for example, and indeed, full of emotion :d 

I would honestly not want the Dutch anthem to change, but I definitely only like it because I grew up with it and any replacement would not get remotely close to giving the same feeling....if I wasn't Dutch, I'd find it...meh :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Nicely defended, Scotland.

/s

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

like a good old leaky swiss cheese

That makes me think of some cheese with some sort of non-descript liquid leaking out of it and now I am properly disgusted, thanks.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It depends on your preferences of course. Flower of Scotland for me is probably number one: it's truly a fighting song, not so old it makes no sense anymore (the Dutch), not just some lame 'our country is the best' thing (USA), just generating a feeling of 'lets go!'. And for singing along, it has a perfect pace, not too fast for example, and indeed, full of emotion :d 

I would honestly not want the Dutch anthem to change, but I definitely only like it because I grew up with it and any replacement would not get remotely close to giving the same feeling....if I wasn't Dutch, I'd find it...meh :p 

Yeh, i haven’t read much into the history of the song but why would you have loyalty to Spain in this day & age! 
It was funny as in WC2010 it was Holland vs Spain final & your players were singing to be loyal to the spanish king:question:
I like the old German anthem which unfortunately is banned. “ Deutschland uber alles” it is very passionate. 

13 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Yeh, i haven’t read much into the history of the song but why would you have loyalty to Spain in this day & age! 

It has everything to do with the 80 year war in the 16th-17th century, when the (more or less modern-day) Netherlands got rid of the Spanish Catholic oppression, under the leadership of William the Silent (William of Orange, as he's known here). The Wilhelmus was sort of a political song, in which William was put forward as a true Christian and someone who never betrayed the Spanish (which was important to stress, since that made it clear it was all on the Spanish).

Very long story, it's an 80 year war for a reason, but mostly the Wilhelmus was a political thing and saying "I always honoured the Spanish king" was mostly a diplomatic thing :p 

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

How was Turkmenistan ? I would love to visit it one day :d

It was… different :d Ashgabat is indeed weird but it’s weirdness is over exaggerated by tiktokers and YouTubers.

Besides the unique bizarre “north-Korea-like” experiences we had, my favorite part was actually the desert and the things you find there , like this thing 

image.png

In the end I loved it, just as all the other stans. And got a lot of cool new music that I can share one day in some festival of music haha

Edited by kungshamra71