website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker Road to Paris 2024

8 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

A real shame for Sanita, her and the Olympics never went well together for whatever reason.

There's always one in every sport, world class but just couldn't pull it together at that one moment. Paula Radcliffe springs to mind, arguably Eamonn Coughlan - both clearly utterly world class, both never got Olympic reward. Perhaps you could currently add Novak Djokovic to that group, although he has a bronze or two i think. Sanita, sadly, now joins that admittedly illustrious company.

Sad for Sanita but good to get the women's four qualified at least. That brings us to around 110 quotas (not exact since the relay spots in athletics and swimming make it hard to be exact). I think it's looking more likely we will be closer to 125 athletes than 130 athletes which is still mightily impressive. 2024 has been a strange year for us so far, it's so hard to gauge where we are at in terms of medal hopes.

14 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

There's always one in every sport, world class but just couldn't pull it together at that one moment. Paula Radcliffe springs to mind, arguably Eamonn Coughlan - both clearly utterly world class, both never got Olympic reward. Perhaps you could currently add Novak Djokovic to that group, although he has a bronze or two i think. Sanita, sadly, now joins that admittedly illustrious company.

Just need to hope we're not adding Rhys McClenaghan to that list before the summer is out!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Sad for Sanita but good to get the women's four qualified at least. That brings us to around 110 quotas (not exact since the relay spots in athletics and swimming make it hard to be exact). I think it's looking more likely we will be closer to 125 athletes than 130 athletes which is still mightily impressive. 2024 has been a strange year for us so far, it's so hard to gauge where we are at in terms of medal hopes.

I currently have us down for 106 qualifiers:

Rugby 24

Rowing 16

Hockey 16

Athletics 14

Equestrian 7

Cycling 7

Boxing 6

Swimming 5

Sailing 4

Kayaking 3

Badminton 2

Gymnastics 1

Taekwondo 1

For athletics relays I've included two spots for the mixed 4x400 as Adeleke and Mawdsley are already included as individual qualifiers. For the women's 4x400 I've included three spots as again Adeleke and Mawdsley are individually qualified but Adeleke almost certainly won't run the heats so it seems fair to include spaces for Healy, Becker + one other. We'll likely bring at least two more athletes as relay reserves, but should they be counted in the total if there's no guarantee they'll actually compete in the Olympics? Or should they be treated the same as a hockey reserve goalkeeper who might not actually end up competing either? If so, that would take us to 108.

For swimming relays I've included two spots on the women's side in addition to McSharry and Walshe. I haven't included a men's relay team at this point because - as I understand it - we haven't fully fulfilled the criteria to the extent that we can be certain we'll be sending a team.

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

Relay team for womens is 5 travelling, but you must include all those qualified at that event. So its Adeleke, Mawsley + 3

There's no requirement to include qualified individual athletes for the mixed so that could be another 2 men + 2 women.

So I make our athletics team 9 individuals and 7 relay athletes at the moment.

Swimming might not be known for a while. Ferguson (100m back) and Ryan (100m free) may get in with ranks + OCT and we'd get that relay team in