website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Lisicki is going nowhere. If she doesn't peak somewhere, most likely during grass season, I am afraid she can sink much deeper... Choking to the player who dropped 6-0 lead in the tiebreak not so long ago -.-

As expected, this deadly slow courts are not Petra's best. At least she managed to double bagel Ana here in Miami once :lol:

17 hours ago, intoronto said:

For all the tennis experts, does Daniel Nestor have a chance to qualify for Rio? Keep in mind Raonic and Pospisil are confirmed to be a doubles team and Nestor will need an alternative partner.

In my humble opinion, Pospisil and Nestor could be better and more potent team. Though, Vasek and Milos can make good team either, would be good for them to team up at some of the following masters and at Grand Slams. 

Nestor have to be ranked in top 10 to qualify directly. Good thing is, he has to defend a very few points until the end of Roland Garros so he has a decent shot for direct qualification. I guess Canada will go for second men's doubles team (if you don't exceed maximum quota of 6 athletes). Though, I wonder who can partnering him... Shamasdin perhaps?

So, Canada may go with...

Men's: Raonic (S+D), Pospisil (S+D); additionally Nestor (D)+Shamasdin (D, I am not sure if Shamasdin was part of Davis Cup in recent ties..)

Women's: Bouchard (S) and maybe Dabrowski to team up with Bouchard for women's doubles.

I think that is fair team.

I hope everything will stay the same on the womens side. Petkovic and Kerber should be safe and the 3rd spot will hopefully go to Beck.

On the mens side Zverev should have no problem to qualify.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

So, Canada may go with...

Men's: Raonic (S+D), Pospisil (S+D); additionally Nestor (D)+Shamasdin (D, I am not sure if Shamasdin was part of Davis Cup in recent ties..)

Women's: Bouchard (S) and maybe Dabrowski to team up with Bouchard for women's doubles.

I think that is fair team.

Shamsadin was in the Belgium tie last year. How many does he need in total?

9 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Shamsadin was in the Belgium tie last year. How many does he need in total?

He actually was in team two times, including this year tie with France. He is supposed to be part of the team three times... 

These additional statements are important too:

While the ITF Olympic Committee has the right to make final judgement on a player’s eligibility with regard to the Olympic Tennis Event, it will take into consideration the following special circumstances:

Long-term injury

A player is injured or otherwise unable to compete in any authorised tennis tournament for a minimum of six (6) months. The player must provide authorised medical information about his injury or illness if requested by his National Association or ITF.

Newcomer to Davis/Fed Cup

A player only reaches a ranking level sufficient for Davis/Fed Cup selection by his National Association during the latter part of an Olympic cycle.

Strength of Nation

A nation has a large number of highly-ranked players resulting in strict competition for selection, or its Davis/Fed Cup selection policy limits the opportunities for singles players.

So, I'd say nothing is lost yet.

Among 32 doubles teams I guess at least 7-8 nations will have 2 teams for sure