website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

By winning against Nadal, Zverev could become the first 18 year old to reach the quarterfinal of a masters tournament since Nadal himself in 2005. The only other 18 yo to do that in this century was Roddick in 2001. No player born in 1994 or later reached the quarterfinal of a masters tournament so far. :thumbup:

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Kozlov had everything in his hands and he lost... But I am so happy to see Shapovalov winning! Tim van Rijthoven in his first challenger quarterfinal (and this is his second challenger tournament overall, if I am not mistaken). I hope matches are still available on livestream... Would like to see Shapovalov

Rublev was fooling around a bit, but eventually he beat Harrison in one really messy match. Now watching Big Foe in action :cheer:

EDIT: Shapovalov is the first player born in 1999 with ATP Challenger win! Given that Felix Auger-Aliassime is the first 2000-born with ATP Challenger win, Canada is definitely heading to bright tennis future! 

Edited by Wanderer

At WTA's first "challenger" of the year, CiCi Bellis lost to Friedsam, despite leading 6-4 4-1.

Konjuh won, at least.

I am not sure what is Gavrilova doing :facepalm: I mean, I am glad to see there is one competitive Greek player, but I am not fond of her game. Sakkari shouldn't be a treat to Gavrilova. Unless she is only tanking :lol:

9 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

At WTA's first "challenger" of the year, CiCi Bellis lost to Friedsam, despite leading 6-4 4-1.

Konjuh won, at least.

I am not sure what is Gavrilova doing :facepalm: I mean, I am glad to see there is one competitive Greek player, but I am not fond of her game. Sakkari shouldn't be a treat to Gavrilova. Unless she is only tanking :lol:

That's not Konjuh won, but Linette lost ;)

Just now, Wanderer said:

If there is a loss, there must be a win. It is like, if there is beginning, there must be an end as well :d

I meant that Linette is in really bad form (I don't know how she beat Tatishvili), so Konjuh doesn't have any problem to win in this match.

Just now, rybak said:

I meant that Linette is in really bad form (I don't know how she beat Tatishvili), so Konjuh doesn't have any problem to win in this match.

Neither Konjuh is flourishing :d I guess then Konjuh had less errors....

Edited by Wanderer

Indian Wells and Shanghai want own category, to be above other masters tournaments, something like "Super Masters" as both tournaments have capacity and conditions to organize such big events. Indian Wells also would like to switch to full 128-player draw. It seems it can be achieved in 2019...

Indian Wells, like Shanghai, wants its own category

Indian Wells, as Shanghai, has asked to become a new category. The situation for the tournament is easy : they want to grow up again and again, and the Masters 1000 box seems now to be to tight. Ray Moore, the tournament director, confirmed it to me during an interview : he wants the ATP to accept the creation of a kind of Super Masters category, as Shanghai does except the chinese event wants to stay men only : "We talked to the ATP about that too. We're very interested in having a different category so we can have more points and more prize money for the players." It would be a new category just under the Grand Slam events and above the Masters 1000.

And it's no longer just a wish : Moore has high hopes that it could happen in 2019. "It could come in 2019 but not before as right now the system is set through 2018. So the next year or two the ATP and the WTA will begin to discuss a different format, maybe new categories and we look forward to that. And maybe we'd go to a 128 draw, right now we're a 96 draw."

When you see the facilities the city of Indian Wells and the tournament direction have set up in the californian desert, it seems logical to see their ambitions growing. When you have the space, the money and the will : why not dream big ? "We could be a Grand Slam, says Moore, we have the facilities and the space, and in terms of land we're twice the size of Wimbledon, the French Open or the Australian Open. But we're very happy where we are. We're just always pushing to improve, like next year we’re gonna improve Stadium 1 a lot, and then the year after that we’re gonna build Stadium 3. Tennis is a global sports with a lot of potential, lots of opportunities." From what I know so far, the ATP is pretty open to the project, totally agreeing with Indian Wells and Shanghai that they can't be compared anymore to the other Masters 1000. Everything is now looking like some major changes are going to happen in 2019 regarding the calendar and the formats of some events. Easy to guess that smaller tournaments and less rich Masters 1000 are starting to brace themselves.

http://theyellowballcorner.blogspot.rs/2016/03/indian-wells-like-shanghai-wants-its.html

2 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Indian Wells and Shanghai want own category, to be above other masters tournaments, something like "Super Masters" as both tournaments have capacity and conditions to organize such big events. Indian Wells also would like to switch to full 128-player draw. It seems it can be achieved in 2019...

http://theyellowballcorner.blogspot.rs/2016/03/indian-wells-like-shanghai-wants-its.html

This isn't bad idea, but as first I would see Masters 1000 tournament played on grass :d