USA b. South Korea 45-22

Bronze Medal Match:

France b. South Korea 35-26

Gold Medal Match:

USA b. Italy 45-35

Here is the Full Final Ranking (and Results) from Today's competition:

http://fie.org/competitions/2018/249/results/rank

Edited by phelps

this time no distractions by our Dream Team, reaching the final without any trouble...

Gold Medal match that will see the USA facing Italy, after the Russians continued their very disappointing streak of failures in these World Champs by losing in the quarterfinals against the unbelievable Koreans...

in the meantime, also the last 2 events of the Champs have come to the quarterfinals stage (which will be contested tomorrow, in the last day of the tournament)...

men's team Foil quarterfinals

:USA United States vs :CHN China

:FRA France vs :RUS Russia

:KOR South Korea vs :JPN Japan

:ITA Italy vs :POL Poland

women's team Sabre quarterfinals

:ITA Italy vs :HUN Hungary

:USA United States vs :RUS Russia

:KOR South Korea vs :UKR Ukraine

:FRA France vs :CHN China

it doesn't look promising for our sabre girls...either RUS (in the only weapon where they are in great shape) nor the USA (our traditional bete noir) leave us with many hopes to make the final for the second year in a row...

4 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Russia finished 8th in women's foil :yikes:

I assume they didn't care for consolation rounds. Ukraine also finished 13th in Men's Team Épée.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

10 minutes ago, Quasit said:

I assume they didn't care for consolation rounds. Ukraine also finished 13th in Men's Team Épée.

Deriglazova was never substituted so in my opinion they cared at least a bit.

Anyway it's never a good idea to throw away ranking points.

in the worst season for our women's foil in the last 30 years, we still managed to come home with the European Gold and World Silver in the team event (and the World title in the individual event)...not bad...:lol:

but I'm still upset and angry for this gold medal match against the USA...

first, we must say that Camilla Mancini is not ready yet for this kind of competition...she is too inconsistent and the risk to compromise the team's final result is too high (as we've just seen)...

and Errigo is still a case for a good psychiatrist (and a really good one)...

but at the same time we just can't close our eyes on the shameful mistake (possibly in bad faith, since they had the chance to watch the replay) that changed completely the outcome of the match...it should have been 37-35 for the USA (with Prescod mentally struggling big time) and instead the ref and the video judge ignored one of the clearest parèe et resposte in the history of the sport and still gifted the US girl the point that definitely turned off Errigo's mind and so killed the match...

that's absolutely not acceptable...and that's why I'm angry, despite a result that should make everybody happy (considering all the circumstances)...:facepalm::wall: