website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

As a general rule I don't trust Wikipedia, but based on their list, :SVK Schmiedlova is the last auto qualifier in 80th place. Harriet Dart is the best placed Brit ranked 92nd - strip out the nations who already have full squads and I think she would be something like 6th reserve - so not impossible for her to sneak in.

Hard to imagine Dart and Boulter as a doubles squad, though...

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Team GB confirm Olympic nominations

Men’s singles - Andy Murray (ITF wildcard) - Jack Draper - Dan Evans - Cameron Norrie

Women’s singles - Katie Boulter

Men’s doubles - Salisbury-Skupski - Murray-Evans

Women’s doubles - Boulter-Watson - Dart-Lumsden

Raducanu turned down an ITF wildcard

Are they likely to get the women's doubles teams?

58 minutes ago, evil betty said:

The BBC story says that Raducanu turned down the legacy spot which is strange and has two consequences that I can see: 1st, Osaka must be using her PR if Wozniacki is a legacy qualifier, 2nd: who else would take it then? So maybe another reallocated quota for the women's side.

49 minutes ago, gilbsh said:

only Halep can take that 2nd legacy spot i guess.

Actually Halep has no ranking so she can not get a legacy GS (one must be in the top400).

The ranking for the legacy would be:

1- Osaka (4GS)
2- Kerber (3GS)
3- Bencic (1OG, #92), theoretically, but she gave birth on April 23th...
4- Wozniacki (1GS, #117)
5- Raducanu (1GS, #209)
6- Andreescu (1GS, #228)

21 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Are they likely to get the women's doubles teams?

Anne Keothavong was pretty certain that Boulter and Watson would get in as a doubles pairing when she was discussing the squad at the French Open but I struggle to see the second pairing getting in though. 

10 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

Actually Halep has no ranking so she can not get a legacy GS (one must be in the top400).

The ranking for the legacy would be:

1- Osaka (4GS)
2- Kerber (3GS)
3- Bencic (1OG, #92), theoretically, but she gave birth on April 23th...
4- Wozniacki (1GS, #117)
5- Raducanu (1GS, #209)
6- Andreescu (1GS, #228)

And Andreescu has told sportsnet that she was hopeful that her 64PR would get her in.  https://www.sportsnet.ca/wta/article/bianca-andreescu-preparing-for-return-to-court-has-sights-on-playing-in-olympics/ The statement from the Japanese Olympic Committee appears to say that Osaka is going to use the legacy quota https://www.joc.or.jp/news/20240613034804.html but that would not make sense now.  I guess I am saying that if Osaka and Kerber have to use PR, then probably Andreescu does as well.  And what has happened to Halep, I thought she was trying to make a comeback.

Anybody has any update on the last entry as of now on the men's side?  Wiki still says Sumit Nagal (so Mensik must be next in line) even after Nishikori is announced as using his PR.  All India Tennis Association had said 4 days ago that Sumit was still an alternate as per ITF.  Wondering if things have changed...

Edited by jayakris

14 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Anne Keothavong was pretty certain that Boulter and Watson would get in as a doubles pairing when she was discussing the squad at the French Open but I struggle to see the second pairing getting in though. 

Yeah, they would need a lot of withdrawals to get in, countries like :GRE :LAT :CRO for example would get in over a second GBR team due to the singles priority.

4 minutes ago, jayakris said:

Anybody has any update on the last entry as of now on the men's side?  Wiki still says Sumit Nagal (so Mensik must be next in line) even after Nishikori is announced as using his PR.  All India Tennis Association had said 4 days ago that Sumit was still an alternate as per ITF.  Wondering if things have changed...

According to the wiki list Nagal would have to wait for the reallocation process (57th is the reallocated host spot) so saying that he is an alternate makes good sense. 

10 minutes ago, evil betty said:

According to the wiki list Nagal would have to wait for the reallocation process (57th is the reallocated host spot) so saying that he is an alternate makes good sense.

Good point.  The 57th spot itself is technically one out.

Also there is the prospect of Raonic, who said he wanted to go to the Olympics but has not confirmed it, O'Connell that wiki lists as not eligible, Djere who seems to have indicated he is not going, Cilic who could use PR but with the recent surgery that seems really unlikely.  Too many moving parts to be certain of the final few qualifiers.