website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I agree, they will likely get an exception as there was no opportunity for them to play, and the ITF is very lenient. I mean Wozniacki has played for her country once since 2011 and still got to play Rio and I'm sure they would've let her play Tokyo if she didn't retire before.

I am more interested to see what happens with the Grand Slam/legacy wildcard spots. I'm sure it won't matter for Venus Williams as she won't be in the top 4 Americans. Andreescu can use a protected ranking to get automatic entry to the Olympics. And I don't think Muguruza will be back before then (if ever).

That leaves us with Wozniacki, Kerber, Halep, Osaka, and Raducanu. I don't think I'm missing anyone else? There are only two spots.

Time is running out for these girls to get in directly, so in the end 3 of them could miss out...

Wait I think Kerber and Osaka have protected rankings in the 30s/40s, so like Andreescu, they'll also be in. So it's Wozniacki, Halep, and Raducanu for the two wildcards.

Wozniacki is up to 129 in the live rankings now so if she can make the top 60/70 or so by the end of May, which is looking likely even though she's horrible on clay, then Halep just has to be top 400 to make it to Paris? Can someone confirm?

I would say, the lawyers must be ready for the great battle.

The ITF rules clearly say: they can make all that russians eligible as an exception.

But that will only allow the NOC to nominate that player.

And the russian NOC is suspended by the IOC (the appeal was lost). So ROC cannot perform NOC`s functions and cannot nominate players.

Thus every tennis player who loses his/her place at the Olympics because of ITF exceptions for russians will be able to appeal to CAS to get his/her place back.

And nobody can predict the outcome )

image.png

Edited by avlar

1 hour ago, avlar said:

The ITF rules clearly say: they can make all that russians eligible as an exception.

And the russian NOC is suspended by the IOC (the appeal was lost). So ROC cannot perform NOC`s functions and cannot nominate players.

Thus every tennis player who loses his/her place at the Olympics because of ITF exceptions for russians will be able to appeal to CAS to get his/her place back.

image.png

Well, this is all tricky. Saying like this, makes me wonder if tennis players would be interested to file an appeal. We have seen that some tennis players are rather interested in well paid tournaments than Olympics. Also golf players. Of course, not all of them. But having hearings with CAS and trying to resolve this problem might waste their time as they may have to withdraw from some tournaments in order to go to Lausanne personally for the hearing. So I am a bit skeptical whether they are gonna do that. Of course, I'd be happy to see Sabalenka, Rublev, Khachanov at the Games but I am afraid that dealing with this issue might be longer for them that they would expect so I am afraid some of them will drop from this issue and focus on regular tournaments. 

3 hours ago, avlar said:

image.png

You are reading this too literally. In the case of Russia and Belarus, the sport federation is effectively the NOC now and decides who to nominate (which will be the highest ranked athletes/individual who qualified the quota).

I understand you really don't want them to compete, but if you think a rule in the qualification document is going to prevent them from competing then you are greatly mistaken. The best way for Russia to not compete is if the government decides not to go (Belarus will compete unless Russia forces them to boycott).

If there are no Russians in gymnastics, track and field, swimming and team sports, and it certainly looks that way, then more media may flock to tennis for the inevitable Russia/Ukraine storyline. I could see Daniil Medvedev, Aryna Sabalenka, etc., not wanting to deal with that -- on top of the drawbacks of no rankings points and playing a clay tournament during hard-court season -- and skip the Olympics altogether. 

Maybe I am too naive at this point. But I think that me and also many other people hope and believe that one day, politics will stop having highly negative impact on the Olympic Games and it will start being the highly peaceful event as it used to be and as Baron Coubertin saw and created such amazing mottos. Olympic Spirit has been with me my entire life and looking at these political nonsenses makes me feel sad. I don't envy those people who pursue their life dream and goals and these things stop them and often they can't do anything about it. 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:36 AM, Jan Linha said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1144165/russian-tennis-still-banned-paris-2024

This is very interesting article 😅😅😅. ITF has allowed Russian and Belorussian athletes to compete in Paris. But at the same time, non of them can do that. As one of the most important rule is to represent your country in Davis Cup or Billie Jean King Cup. And They weren't allowed to participate since 2021. So what now? They will try to apply for an exception? Would it actually work? I am wondering, is ITF playing this game to give the chance to make it to the Games but at the same time, they will find out that they won't make it? 

This rule is barely inforced, only by federations to have a backing when they don't want to allow an athlete who refuses to defend the country in DC/BJKC (RSA with Kevin Anderson and CRO with Ivo Karlovic and TPE with Hsieh Su-wei with come to mind).

Whoever wrote/comissioned this article obviously never followed tennis Olympic qualification.

2 hours ago, Pasolini said:

This rule is barely inforced, only by federations to have a backing when they don't want to allow an athlete who refuses to defend the country in DC/BJKC (RSA with Kevin Anderson and CRO with Ivo Karlovic and TPE with Hsieh Su-wei with come to mind).

Whoever wrote/comissioned this article obviously never followed tennis Olympic qualification.

'inside the games' writers are notoriously uninformed, and often just plain wrong.  Blog posts more than news.

7 hours ago, FeelingVeryOlympic said:

If there are no Russians in gymnastics, track and field, swimming and team sports, and it certainly looks that way, then more media may flock to tennis for the inevitable Russia/Ukraine storyline. I could see Daniil Medvedev, Aryna Sabalenka, etc., not wanting to deal with that -- on top of the drawbacks of no rankings points and playing a clay tournament during hard-court season -- and skip the Olympics altogether. 

Medvedev is very keen on playing at the Olympics (and the prospect of an Olympic medal). If Russians and Belarussians are allowed to compete, I’d be very surprised if he chooses to skip it. That scenario probably won’t probably won’t be much of an issue anyways, as Ukraine has no tennis players near a qualifying spot in men’s singles.

Edited by Josh